What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

And to be clear I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, I’ve got 1 for sure from him and 3 small ones I suspect from him... the larger one I got directly from him is my favorite Les lat hybrid of every stone I own, glued to my favorite BBW of every stone I own... so he may pick up mine scraps or something but that doesn’t mean he picks up just junk.

Who is the "French Baker"?
I have his business card somewhere actually and I’ll post when I find it...

Short version: he’s literally a French baker who also sells refurbished razors and various hones on ebay.

longer version is he has a long history of selling all kinds of odd coticules and other stones. Best everyone can tell it seems like maybe he’s scrounging up old stones or mine scrap stones and doing his own glue ups and shaping before resale.

Different people have had all manner of experiences with him or his stones, but I actually have my nicest Les lat hybrid backed by nicest BBW that I bought directly from him. Hes a somewhat polarizing figure in the Coticule world, probably because he seems to sell the whole spectrum of stones from top shelf to total junk.

thanks namkcakram! i keep buying cots...it's an obsession, unfortunately, that is leaving me penniless, so i'm probably done buying for a while now...NOT! the LGB (top left) is a pleasure to hone on, but the LV produces a stunning edge. the other 2 LGB's (middle left and right) are wondrous stones as well. the huge (75x200mm) LD at the bottom is super easy to hone on. i just like really big stones!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous piece! I think your label is correct (LGJ), however consider the honing characteristics and see if you can further confirm. From Henk:

"Features "La Grosse Jaune" seems to deliver grainy whetstones. Yellowish gray color. The stone is yellow ocher when wet. Looks a bit grainy, while it feels smooth. Surface is finer than that of La Grise. Surface looks more like wood pores than wood fibres. When sharpening the typical grinding sound of steel arises. Characteristic features With slurry this is one of the slower layers. With slurry it grinds fine and with an average speed. The slurry has a consistency like a lubricant had been added. With the slurry it becomes sharp enough to cut armhair. With water the stones are slow, with a "magnetic" suction similar to the 'hybrid' side of Les Latneuses. With water the grinding feeling fades to 0 with clear water. What remains is the uniform grinding to a perfect cut. With water the cut is excellent and very smooth. Definition La Grosse Jaune is probably called La Gros Gres by Dumont. The La Grosse Jaune Coticules are among the easiest stones to obtain a perfect cut. These stones are a real pleasure and invite to perform perfectly balanced grinding strokes. It is like the razor pilots itself, you only have to put on a little pressure. The finishing properties are excellent."

Does the "French Baker" go by the name Rollins Nicolas? If so, I see some of his stuff on FB under the page Coupe chou Vierge de Fer. Is this him?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Two Cotis from the flea market. The mag line was from this morning’s market and the other was from around Christmas. They got a bath and lap today. Both have interesting, busy surfaces and this morning’s is hard, hard, hard. A few adult beverages and some muscle music got it flat.

65FBBE7D-8B9A-4BA3-A7F8-95509D0DFAFD.jpeg
6B81C919-AB09-4B2C-B58D-CD5447329CBD.jpeg
637F4D4F-4ECC-4996-9F3F-7D5CA9D67EB6.jpeg

The bottom one reminds me of some hyper aggressive vintage coti's I've had in the past. One or two were effective bevelers... ~1-3k synthetic speed.

The top one looks like a gem.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The hand feel of the bottom is not overly aggressive but won’t know the truth until steel hit it. The top does have the feel of good potential. Hard and glasslike. Will see how fast soon. Maybe a good tag team combo

Got this coti and bout from Whipped Dog a few years ago. It has a wonderful creamy malted milkshake kind of feel (does that make sense?). It measures 7" x 1.5" and has no markings, so I don't know its "pedigree." I've been using it with slurry after the Naniwa 5K. I just ordered a Naniwa 8k Snow White, so I guess I'll be using the coti more as a finisher once that arrives.
fullsizeoutput_1a14.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a15.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a17.jpeg

Top Bottom