What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Do any of you guys ever find a KILLER finishing Coticule but it’s like a #5 bout and barely long enough to finish a razor on? Or is it just me with tiny rocks and everyone else here is finding Coticules too large to fit on their bathroom counters...
I had a tiny slurry stone that was awesome. It was really hard and very fine. Was maybe 3 inches long and 1 wide but oddly shaped, I was able to do some passes on it but I had to very careful about the technique. Sadly I nudged the stone off the shelf when reaching for something.

I have a 4x2 that's just awesome but would love something in a 6-7"long by 1.5-2".
I'm not willing to buy 20 just to find that 1 and that's if I'm lucky!
I think Coticules are the most varied of all natural hones - excluding Jnats of course.

Ok I was starting to think I was the only one here not in the big rock club.

Mine is a little 2+” by 2+” with one side off square. Grabbed it off the auctions to be a slurry stone and ran a razor over it to test it... holy cow. It’s honestly worth the inconvenience to finish on it with water for certain blades. The craziest part is this is my only Coticule that FEELS rough to the touch dragging a finger nail across the surface due to some porosity in the substrate.

What kind of money do these microtome hones go for? Are we talking $$, $$$ or $$$$?

I have some small ones that are amazing. Generally use them as slurry stones on a bit bigger and great stones, but sometimes enjoy using the small stone or to just finish on the small one for the edge appeal.

Ok I was starting to think I was the only one here not in the big rock club.

Mine is a little 2+” by 2+” with one side off square. Grabbed it off the auctions to be a slurry stone and ran a razor over it to test it... holy cow. It’s honestly worth the inconvenience to finish on it with water for certain blades. The craziest part is this is my only Coticule that FEELS rough to the touch dragging a finger nail across the surface due to some porosity in the substrate.

What kind of money do these microtome hones go for? Are we talking $$, $$$ or $$$$?

I think the only way to get one is to try to bribe a member to part with one of his.
Its just not worth chasing it IMO most are not that good, they are ok but not great.
I got stupid lucky - it was in a Carborundum razor hone box, guy thought it was a Carborundum. It gives as nice an edge as an Escher. I think these type are not so common. I want one....

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have a 2x4 pink deep rock that is a amazing finisher. Would love to have the same in a larger size

F4631BF6-6810-4200-B8ED-1007E5BA7702.jpeg
34687905-068B-4A15-AE21-C46401E297BF.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not sure David, I’m a coti newbie - they all seem similar now. But it’s making good edges. It looked shiny and waxy even when dirty, and it’s getting some of that back as I use it. But it has some complexion variations, that slightly dark area lower right is light when half wet. There was more of that layer/area that was removed in flattening, and it doesn’t have the same reflectance but it may burnish out with ise?

E67DD702-F331-447C-A7B2-D6B92B1B757F.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Not sure David, I’m a coti newbie - they all seem similar now. But it’s making good edges. It looked shiny and waxy even when dirty, and it’s getting some of that back as I use it. But it has some complexion variations, that slightly dark area lower right is light when half wet. There was more of that layer/area that was removed in flattening, and it doesn’t have the same reflectance but it may burnish out with ise?

View attachment 1008298
Take a pic or two of the back side please.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, one other thing, it’s tapered top to bottom on the ends, the black slate is shorter than the yellow coti

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I believe that’s a synthetic barbers hone, which isn’t a bad thing. Some are very good and can give you a nice crisp shaving edge that’s better than most B-hones. That aren’t rare but they’re not that common either. Nice score!

Last edited:
Top Bottom