What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I bought this rather small coticule yesterday. It measures 5" x 1.2". (Seller's picture)

I should be interested in opinions from you experts.

Thanks in advance

C.
If that's a Coti, my guess is that it's a good one. I have a couple 5x1's and they're lovely little stones that are easy to use with a little practice.
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more pics of that one.

If that's a Coti, my guess is that it's a good one. I have a couple 5x1's and they're lovely little stones that are easy to use with a little practice.
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more pics of that one.

Thank you! I am now quite excited about this. The seller described it as a "Vintage Belgian Coticule". It is on its way.

Here's another of the seller's snaps.

$Coticule 2.jpg

C.

I bought this one today off the bay. I think it has been there for awhile but for way too much for a very embedded stone. The reduced price, the favorable exchange rate today plus a few questions the seller was very helpful about made it worth a punt to have a go with. 6 1/2x2 1/8 tapering to 1 1/2.

View attachment 689868View attachment 689869View attachment 689870
Yep I had been eyeballing that for a while too. I think you have something good there.

Sorry chaps: another question: where does the coticule fit into the scheme of honing? Can one shave off a coticule or is another finishing stone required?

Thanks

C.

Sorry chaps: another question: where does the coticule fit into the scheme of honing? Can one shave off a coticule or is another finishing stone required?

Thanks

C.

The coticule is a fantastic finisher and with slurry has the ability to function as your one stone start to finish solution. The coticule may well be the king of versatility in razor hones. Its versatility means you will see it used in about every fashion imaginable. From bevel set to finish, water or oil or glycerin etc. Some will only use it without slurry as a touch up hone. Some like to go from the coticule to a much finer finishing hone or sprays. It is very well respected as leaving the most gentle feeling finished shaving edge and that is how I use mine most of the time due to somewhat sensitive skin.

You just really need to get to know a coticule to extract the most from it. That and they seem more strop sensitive than any hones I know of. The edge off a coti tends to come up a lot off the strop

I apologies for being so deficient in posting photos of my various Coticules. I finally took a decent photo of the ones I have within easy reach. I was lucky enough to score the two largest ones in the wild a couple weeks ago, I've got them lapped and am learning what they are capable of. Other than one stone I bought that was marked "La Vert" I really don't know how to label each stone (if you have input feel free to speak up), and of course I am still learning the capabilities of each and how they fit into the over all honing scheme.
proxy.php

I didn't like the grainy feedback. I can deal with cotis that have that abrasive feedback, but to me it just felt like I was dragging blades over gravel regardless of slurry or none, straight water, soapy water. It just felt so unprogressive to use even though it's actually very fine for a coti. It's why it got to stick around as long as it did. Try a knife or something on the bbw side. I remember it being not bad. I imported it from northern france

Last edited:
I didn't like the grainy feedback. I can deal with cotis that have that abrasive feedback, but to me it just felt like I was dragging blades over gravel regardless of slurry or none, straight water, soapy water. It just felt so unprogressive to use even though it's actually very fine for a coti. It's why it got to stick around as long as it did. Try a knife or something on the bbw side. I remember it being not bad. I imported it from northern france

I actually have been playing with using the BBW side on this stone and the second from the left as a sort of finisher. I do the whole progression then go back to the BBW (experimenting with using slurry and just running water) for a good number of laps. Then I go back to the Coti side on running water until I get "that" feeling. The results seem to be that I have a blade that is more keen than if I just finished on the Coti itself. I tried finishing just on the BBW side of this stone and got a very keen edge that boarders on harsh like I would get from synthetic film.

Top Bottom