What's new

Corey reviews Ultra Shave

I don't suppose that any place provides small (free) samples to give this a whirl, do they? I'd like to try it of course, but have just bought too much stuff lately.

add: given the stuff I've read about this Corey guy, sorry I just don't trust him and am suspicious of his motivations (someone once posted an article and another and another where he was noted to be paid on the side to get things mentioned on-air or in-print, or something like that... quick googling brings it up).

But I'd be happy to give a sample a shot if one existed. A quick travel shave solution would be nice.

That's interesting. I've read his blog, in fact I read it daily but I never knew who or what he was. So, perhaps his view on certain products could be 'tainted' somewhat?

Jeftichew said:
I don't suppose that any place provides small (free) samples to give this a whirl, do they? I'd like to try it of course, but have just bought too much stuff lately.

add: given the stuff I've read about this Corey guy, sorry I just don't trust him and am suspicious of his motivations (someone once posted an article and another and another where he was noted to be paid on the side to get things mentioned on-air or in-print, or something like that... quick googling brings it up).

But I'd be happy to give a sample a shot if one existed. A quick travel shave solution would be nice.

I did post an offer in the shopping part of the forum regarding freebies.

Given your edit I can assure you that I had no knowledge of this practice nor was there EVERY any monetary offer made or requested regarding this review.

Cliff said:
That's interesting. I've read his blog, in fact I read it daily but I never knew who or what he was. So, perhaps his view on certain products could be 'tainted' somewhat?

Please see my reply (to Jeftichew) regarding this sort of practice. And I realise by entering into this sort of thing would not do me any good in the long run.

The Gent-

Please don't take my comments as by any means an attack on you, because they aren't (please see PM regarding this). If this was felt as such, I apologize.

I was just trying to say that he wasn't someone I held very highly as worthy of swaying my purchasing power one way or another.

I've found the post you alluded to. Hopefully there are still some available for sampling (see PM).

Jeftichew said:
The Gent-

Please don't take my comments as by any means an attack on you, because they aren't (please see PM regarding this). If this was felt as such, I apologize.

I was just trying to say that he wasn't someone I held very highly as worthy of swaying my purchasing power one way or another.

I've found the post you alluded to. Hopefully there are still some available for sampling (see PM).

As you now know - I don't take your comments as an attack at all :)

My reason for posting the link to Corey's Shaveblog was so that people could read (what I thought) was a fair review of a new product which I am proud of. He asked some questions which were answered and OK, some of it was not favourable, after all he wants to use a brush and water which is fair enough - I actually had no knowledge of when, or whether, Corey was going to review it or post it on his site.

Thanks for keeping this one civil, guys.

I do think this thread should mosey on over to the Shopping forum, though.

Gent,

Any associaton with he who must not be named is likely to generate lots of ire, as you have discovered. In any case, I hope you stick around B&B if your intention is to have some friendly interchange on mens shaving and grooming.

Ultra Shave also happens to be Kosher, Halal, vegetarian and vegan, and its formula is described as being "respectful of all religions and lifestyle choices", which is a welcome rebuke to such avowedly anti-Semitic shaving creams as Castle Forbes Lavender and Salter's Mint, as well as homophobic creams like Coates Lime and Musgo Real. Will their wanton, hollow demagoguery never cease?

Evening Gents
I feel i have to post the above paragraph quote from aforementioned blogger as its so judgemental, and i would like to know if there is any truth in the accusations of anti-Semitism and homophobia from Castle Forbes, etc.
Regards,
Mahesh

to: the gent....

I feel sorry for ya, in both forums you kind of stepped into a pile of stuff, when you mentioned corey's name....read other posts about him, i won't get into it here...

as for as your product...i missed the free offer...don't know why, i am always willing to try new things and give an opinion of it....

I went and read corey's post..sounds like he tell it like it is....i love the wet brush and soap for me....but you know this sounds great for traveling, camping, or even the military usage...plus like he said, for those who uses the junk stuff this would be a step up for them...

but like anything else, maybe you will ike it and maybe you won't....personally i can't use feather DE blades....just too sharp...

but post some more about your goods...talk with us about shaving, or come down in teh barber shop part of the forum and we can talk about guttin deers or coffee or how to get a great shoe shine..

best regards,

mark the shoe shine boy

alchemist said:
Ultra Shave also happens to be Kosher, Halal, vegetarian and vegan, and its formula is described as being "respectful of all religions and lifestyle choices", which is a welcome rebuke to such avowedly anti-Semitic shaving creams as Castle Forbes Lavender and Salter's Mint, as well as homophobic creams like Coates Lime and Musgo Real. Will their wanton, hollow demagoguery never cease?

Evening Gents
I feel i have to post the above paragraph quote from aforementioned blogger as its so judgemental, and i would like to know if there is any truth in the accusations of anti-Semitism and homophobia from Castle Forbes, etc.
Regards,
Mahesh

Mahesh, this is just joking sarcasm form H.W.M.N.B.N.

this ultra shave stuff sounds pretty neat, just put on, shave off.

i have to disagree with the rinsing the razor part, because i think that residue must be removed from the razor after each pass. if i were to shave and not rinse my straight razor, i'd have a bunch of goo all over both sides of the razor, and it would just get all over my face...

Thanks Scotto
I like the nick name. Sarcasm or not, seems a little aggressive and possibly even somewhat slanderous in my opinion, as certain company's do have certain philosophy's and his statements though far fetched, could be interpreted as true. I for one wasn't sure.
Regards,
Mahesh

Scotto said:
Thanks for keeping this one civil, guys.

I do think this thread should mosey on over to the Shopping forum, though.

And I thank whoever it was that didn't move it over to the shopping forum. This is because I didn't post it as a plea for you to buy but as something that I thought might be considered interesting an interesting read. If I had wanted to post an offer then I would have put a direct link to the Modern Gent shop.

Scotto said:
Gent,

Any associaton with he who must not be named is likely to generate lots of ire, as you have discovered. In any case, I hope you stick around B&B if your intention is to have some friendly interchange on mens shaving and grooming.

Scotto

I certainly have learnt that there is a lot of sceptism regarding Corey but I sincerely didn't know this when I originally made my post. And ... I do intend to stay around here as a member (and I'm sorry but I will also frequent the other groups). I honestly don't pretend to know everything about shaving but I do my best to learn as it is of serious interest to me. I have been a wet shaver for a long time but I do honestly believe in Ultra Shave, my skintone and condition has certainly improved since I started using it. And my missus is honest proof on the application of the cream to scar tissue she has from a recent shoulder operation.

Modern Gent is not all about shaving I know but be assured that I am not here to take the p***.

I began Modern Gent through my discovery of RazorMate. The site is not specifically about shaving and the reason for that is because there are plenty of sites concentrating on shaving paraphernalia so why should I want to try to step in to their shoes? Though if I were approached with an electric straight razor I would be interested in marketing it if I had used it and thought it a worthwhile proposition.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
to: the gent....

I feel sorry for ya, in both forums you kind of stepped into a pile of stuff, when you mentioned corey's name....read other posts about him, i won't get into it here...

as for as your product...i missed the free offer...don't know why, i am always willing to try new things and give an opinion of it....

I went and read corey's post..sounds like he tell it like it is....i love the wet brush and soap for me....but you know this sounds great for traveling, camping, or even the military usage...plus like he said, for those who uses the junk stuff this would be a step up for them...

but like anything else, maybe you will ike it and maybe you won't....personally i can't use feather DE blades....just too sharp...

but post some more about your goods...talk with us about shaving, or come down in teh barber shop part of the forum and we can talk about guttin deers or coffee or how to get a great shoe shine..

best regards,

mark the shoe shine boy

Thanks Mark for your welcome words. You might have gathered that Modern Gent is not all about shaving but more about innovative products that might be considered off the wall but ... that is what they say about innovative ideas. If they are ignored then no-one will ever know about them.

I don't know about gutting deers but I do have a three-legged rabbit of which I am rather fond. I personally use Merkur DE blades and prefer decaffeinated coffee but only before noon, after noon I insist on Earl Grey tea, splash of milk and no spilling of it in the saucer. At 5pm I might indulge in a cucumber sandwich followed by a slice of cake. Before my evening meal I enjoy a D&D to whet my appetite. But ... I always shave in the morning before eating or drinking anything whatsoever, and ... I've just realised that I should have posted this in the barber shop part of the forum!!

Scotto said:
Gent,

That is my intention - I am genuinely not here to spam (been around too long to know all about what that can do for your credability). I might not post often but that's because I might be busy or (more likely) other more knowledgable members will have better things to say than I.

robofunk said:
this ultra shave stuff sounds pretty neat, just put on, shave off.

i have to disagree with the rinsing the razor part, because i think that residue must be removed from the razor after each pass. if i were to shave and not rinse my straight razor, i'd have a bunch of goo all over both sides of the razor, and it would just get all over my face...

The truth is, that although you don't need to rinse the razor with every pass, wiping it is fine (which I believe is the norm with a straight anyway but correct me if I have got your post wrong). To shave and see exactly where you are shaving surely is not wrong is it? If you have spent ages growing sideburns, a moustache or a goatee - how bad is it when you accidentally misshave and try to even up the symmetry? It honestly is a completely personal preference as to whether water is used or not. I use the wet finger method after a first pass, and I also tend to leave the Ultra on for 10 minutes or so to absorb into the skin, but that is my preference. You don't get goo all over your face with it though, it rinses straight out of the basin without getting stuck to the sides, it does 'just stick' to the blade. But wiping the blade with each pass, no problem at all.

Top Bottom