What's new

Copper lather bowls arrived today

Here are a couple of shots. I will be using these over the next week or so. Already I see some tweaks that are needed. As you can see the sides need to be taller. I am checking to see if the grooves can be deeper. This one weighs 9.9 ounces and it is quite heavy actually. It is deceptive as you see it but then you pick it up and whoa!

The weight is important since so many customers treat our lather bowls like a scuttle. They lower it into a sink of hot water. When this is done with one of the other copper bowls which is lighter it floats around adrift in the water. The heavier one stays put just like its ceramic cousin.

What do you think?

IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_5055.jpg

I would agree that the sides probably could stand to be higher. How does the weight compare to the ceramic lather bowls? I use my Captain's Choice ceramic bowl almost daily, and prefer it to my much lighter stainless steel lather bowl. I think a good target weight would be similar to the current ceramic bowl. It is very functional at that weight: not too heavy to tire your hand out while holding it, not so light as to fly out if you're too vigorous with your lathering. I really like the look of the bowl. How does the bottom feel? The ceramic having the unfinished bottom makes it stay in my hand more easily and I wonder if having the bottom of the copper be textured in some way would make it more secure in hand (and on the sink).

Fine looking brush in the bowl. I also think the sides could be a bit higher. As to the weight, I like a bit of heft rather than something light weight.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

A little higher and about the same weight as the ceramic would be great. That being said, if you are going to sell the current "untweaked" bowls, i would be interested, for sure.
Mikey

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Its looking good. I am a face latherer not a bowl latherer but you are tempting me to the dark side Sir!

I kind of like the shallow sides, and I changed my vote on the rolled sides after seeing the flared one. I am one of these folks that like to hold my lather bowl almost diagonally when building my lather and the flared top and shallow sides would help tremendously when I use my short brushes.

These are so damned sexy!

Agree, taller sides and any grooves texture in the bottom a huge plus.

Not sure I can wait until October!!

C05AA2E6-ECC3-4C69-9308-B5158BB6480E.jpeg
We know our CU in Copperhill Tennessee. Sides really should be taller. If it could be hammered like the Turkish bowls, that would be a good thing

They look awesome. I have a large CC and a regular CC lather bowl and I reach for the smaller one a lot more than the larger one because the walls are lower. I hate hearing that dinking sound echo across my bathroom in the morning and so do the people sleeping. Either way I’ll pick one up when they become available for sure.

What are the current depth and diameter?
It surely looks good!
Fine looking brush in the bowl. I also think the sides could be a bit higher. As to the weight, I like a bit of heft rather than something light weight.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Here is an update of sorts. The depth will be 40 mm and diameter 120 mm which matches our current ceramic bowls. (In the picture above the height is 32 mm.) There has been a lot of back and forth with the factory. As with anything new, this takes time and is a process but it is not easy being patient.

We had some made as you know that were lighter and some out of heavier gauge copper. For now we are going to have them made out of the lighter gauge due to price point. We are trying hard to keep these under $30.00 each and it is not clear that we will be able to. The heavier gauge version would be over $40.00 - they are twice as heavy. In the future we may have a few heavier ones made to see if customers prefer them, I try to keep an open mind and see what the market wants.

The lighter ones are more than substantial, weighing in at about 5 ounces. They have good structural integrity and fine craftsmanship. The heavier ones are close to 10 ounces. I have been trying them both and find the five ounce version a better balance in the hand. The heavier one surprises you as you pick it up - does not look like it should weigh that much. It is more substantial but perhaps unnecessarily so.

Just so you know that some will pay for quality/quantity, I would happily pay $50-$60 for a 40x120mm that weighs 15-17oz. Just my two bits.
@MiamiAngler I love your copper Zenith

Just so you know that some will pay for quality/quantity, I would happily pay $50-$60 for a 40x120mm that weighs 15-17oz. Just my two bits.

Well said, i was about to post something similar. I also would be willing to pay that price, considering that it will last at least a lifetime, it's still a bargain, even at that price.

Top Bottom