What's new

Coolidor + Shed = Bad Idea?

Right I want to invest in a coolidor, sadly in the UK it is an investment as a 100quart cooler costs 100pounds....
However as I live in London I do not have the space inside my flat for a cooler, so I was wondering.

Would it be possible to keep the cooler in a shed? The max outside temp is normally around 75F.

Thanks for any and all help.

Man, sounds cramped and expensive! I too would worry about the temps in the shed. It may get a lot warmer than the outside temp. Why not just do a small Tupperware-ador?, or a few of them

Man, sounds cramped and expensive! I too would worry about the temps in the shed. It may get a lot warmer than the outside temp. Why not just do a small Tupperware-ador?, or a few of them
I have a tupperdore (the one in the how to make a tupperdore thread is mine). But I want to expand my collection so a cooler is in order. There is also no space for another tupperdore in the flat.

Hmm, do you have any tobacconists that rent lockers? Here I can rent a locker in a large industrial humidor for$10 a month or something...i don't, but I could.

Hmm, do you have any tobacconists that rent lockers? Here I can rent a locker in a large industrial humidor for$10 a month or something...i don't, but I could.
Sure I can rent a storage locker at Dunhill Tobacco... it costs 1200pounds a year, but I get that in credit in their store. However I buy my cigars in Germany, and from the States as they are significantly cheaper.
So sadly not an option for me.

If you do get a heatwave, I think you can cool it down with cool packs or ice with a plastic sheet between it and the cigars. This is all worse case scenario. If the cigars your have are pre-frozen by the manu or you freeze them yourself, you won't have to worry about beetles hatching if the temp creeps up. You may only have to worry about mold with the high heat.

If you do get a heatwave, I think you can cool it down with cool packs or ice with a plastic sheet between it and the cigars. This is all worse case scenario. If the cigars your have are pre-frozen by the manu or you freeze them yourself, you won't have to worry about beetles hatching if the temp creeps up. You may only have to worry about mold with the high heat.

I've heard f the adding ice to cool things down in humidors, but it always scares me because of the pools of water from condensation when they melt. That can be disaster to RH levels and cigars in general. My most expensive cigars sitting in a pool of water :eek:

But ya, I wouldnt put my cigars in a shed outside. Too many scary things...too hot in the summer too cold in the winter, thats just me though.

It isn't the Temps but the swing in Temps that can screw you. ...and to that end a coolers is a good buffer.
NO cooler packs....the swing in rh will make things worse.
If Temps are an issue regarding bugs, freezing will help.
On a side note, there are tupperware containers that will fit under a bed or in a closet

Lovin the discussion so far. I need to make you guys aware of something...
First off, here in the UK we don't have A/C, so my flat will heat up just like the outside will, the only difference is the shielding from sunlight.
Second, there is no space in my flat. None, nada, zero, zilch. The closets are full, the under-bed storage is full, literally everything is full sadly. Unless I turn one of my cats litterboxes into a humidor which is something I really don't want to do.
Lastly, my Tupperdor has a 75-100cigar capacity. I want to start properly ageing some cigars so I need some extra storage, and all I can think of is outside.
Sadly external storage options are not viable... there are no nice cigar shops here that would store my cigars for me. London is no longer the mecca for smokers, it still has some fine shops but its heyday is gone. Also storage locker is not an option, they start at about $15 a week.

It isn't the Temps but the swing in Temps that can screw you. ...and to that end a coolers is a good buffer.
NO cooler packs....the swing in rh will make things worse.
If Temps are an issue regarding bugs, freezing will help.
On a side note, there are tupperware containers that will fit under a bed or in a closet
Looks like I will be freezing the cigars, any advice on that?

Looks like I will be freezing the cigars, any advice on that?
IMHO, don't bother trying to age cigars until you have 1000+
Just keep buying more than you smoke and things will take care of itself
As for freezing
Double bag 2 freezer bags
Suck out as much air as you can
Frig for 1 day
Freezer for 3 days
Frig for 1 day
Rest easy

IMHO, don't bother trying to age cigars until you have 1000+
Just keep buying more than you smoke and things will take care of itself
As for freezing
Double bag 2 freezer bags
Suck out as much air as you can
Frig for 1 day
Freezer for 3 days
Frig for 1 day
Rest easy

I smoke about 25cigars a year, so if I buy say 200-300 (provided I find the funds), I can start ageing them.
That being said I would smoke em if I want to.

Alright sounds for the freezing, cheers :thumbup:

Lovin the discussion so far. I need to make you guys aware of something...
First off, here in the UK we don't have A/C, so my flat will heat up just like the outside will, the only difference is the shielding from sunlight.
Second, there is no space in my flat. None, nada, zero, zilch. The closets are full, the under-bed storage is full, literally everything is full sadly. Unless I turn one of my cats litterboxes into a humidor which is something I really don't want to do.
Lastly, my Tupperdor has a 75-100cigar capacity. I want to start properly ageing some cigars so I need some extra storage, and all I can think of is outside.
Sadly external storage options are not viable... there are no nice cigar shops here that would store my cigars for me. London is no longer the mecca for smokers, it still has some fine shops but its heyday is gone. Also storage locker is not an option, they start at about $15 a week.

Just a heads up tho, but i know you can't fit it inside your place but one thing to remember is your house is insulated better than a shed adding extra protection to fast temperature swings. The problem with huge temp swings is that it will cause RH swings. Going from cold to too hot to fast means to much RH to fast which means swollen cigars with cracked wrappers. If it cools down too fast your going to have similar problems, too hot to to cold causes rh to drop real fast causing ur cigars to dry and crack.

Just a heads up tho, but i know you can't fit it inside your place but one thing to remember is your house is insulated better than a shed adding extra protection to fast temperature swings. The problem with huge temp swings is that it will cause RH swings. Going from cold to too hot to fast means to much RH to fast which means swollen cigars with cracked wrappers. If it cools down too fast your going to have similar problems, too hot to to cold causes rh to drop real fast causing ur cigars to dry and crack.
I was thinking... what about a broken freezer for outside?
I might ask my neighbour if I could store it in his garage... not sure what he will say to that though.

I was thinking... what about a broken freezer for outside?
I might ask my neighbour if I could store it in his garage... not sure what he will say to that though.

That might help? I have no idea lolz. Either way if you have no other option then the cooler in the shed will have to do. For me I just personally wouldn't do it. Having thousands of dollars invested in cigars, and something as delicate as cigars, I just wouldn't feel comfortable sticking my stash in a shed. But thats just me tho.

That might help? I have no idea lolz. Either way if you have no other option then the cooler in the shed will have to do. For me I just personally wouldn't do it. Having thousands of dollars invested in cigars, and something as delicate as cigars, I just wouldn't feel comfortable sticking my stash in a shed. But thats just me tho.
Not going to be thousands... I will start off filling my tupperdore and go from there. I will probably be living here for the next 8years so... I'm in a pickle.

Top Bottom