What's new

Considering a silvertip

Who makes a good silvertip and what’s a fair price to pay for one? Also, how long do they usually last?

There are many companies that make good Silvertip brushes. Simpsons, Shavemac, Paladin, Rooney, are just a few. A fair price depends on many considerations such as the size, the material of the handle, the quality of the hair, among a few factors.

Who makes a good silvertip and what’s a fair price to pay for one? Also, how long do they usually last?

Welcome to B&B, Sir jmb9!!

Great question!!

Take your time in searching for your first silvertip!

Many great options!!

My only advice, FWIW, avoid the cheapest and focus on proven, time-tested brands!

This is something that should last you many shaving years!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Silvertip is simply a grade of hair which may or may not suit you and many people do not like silvertip brushes at all. There are many vendors of such brushes and many of their knots are sourced from the same producers, often in China. So, you could argue that often they are differentiated only by their handles. Different brands will use different terms to describe the same type of hair and may not use the term 'silvertip' at all. The range of prices is very wide indeed, spanning a few hundred UK pounds. Depending on use any brush can last several years or even decades and can be reknotted if required. Welcome to B&B.

The silvertips mentioned already can be pricey.

There are a little more easy on the wallet, but are super soft and luxurious...

Maseto
Golden Nib
Whipped Dog

And I love the even cheaper ones from vigshaving (eBay) too.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I've only tried Yaqi silvertip and it feels great on the face. I have the 24mm black swirl one and it performs well and feels soft. I'd recommend a Yaqi silvertip.

If price is not important, go at it. There's no shortage of excellent options. If price is a factor, Yaqi is a great entry point. Don't fear 'made in China', when so many knots are in fact, made in China, even for certain 'top' brands. Now, there are certainly 'hand-tied' silvertip/other-badger knots out there. But now you're often looking at three figures in price. Happy brushing/whipping.

I went through the same process a couple of years ago and ended up with an omega that ran about $65 if i remember correctly. It's been great with an easy many years to go.

Enjoy your search. You will hear many opinions here.

One of my most expensive brushes is a Kent BK8 which is a high end Silvertip. I also have several similar sized Silvertips from various sources. I recently made a brush with a 26 mm Virginia Sheng Silvertip and I would put head to head against the Kent BK8. I would also recommend you have a good look at Whipped Dog.

Parker brushes are my definite go to, I haven't tried their silvertip. But they seem like a good value, and I'm all about that!

I prefer a black badger or a banded boar, I can't get away from that lovely exfoliated feel. Silvertip and synthetics are too soft for my taste.

Great question!

The first point is that there are no generally accepted definitions of badger brush hair grades! Each manufacturer has their own standards. Plus, this is a natural product so there can be considerable variation between specimens of the same grade from the same manufacturer. Confused yet??

My main suggestions: pick a reputable company (Simpsons, Plisson, Shavemac, etc.) then give one of their options a try! That is the only way to determine if badger is for you! Just my $0.02!

Enjoy your search. You will hear many opinions here.

One of my most expensive brushes is a Kent BK8 which is a high end Silvertip. I also have several similar sized Silvertips from various sources. I recently made a brush with a 26 mm Virginia Sheng Silvertip and I would put head to head against the Kent BK8. I would also recommend you have a good look at Whipped Dog.

I’ve heard of Whipped Dog and I know many people have been satisfied with their brushes. What are the major differences between those and a Simpson or a Plisson?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another brand worth exploring is Zenith.

I don't actually own a Zenith silvertip (but I have a number of their boars and a couple of their Manchurians and one of their horses), but I want one because I've heard great things about them and because I like their other brushes so much.

MS.2.Old.New.Fans.Silver.3-18.640.JPG

Another already mentioned which I have two of is the Maseto (MS). Inexpensive but very very nice. The two pictured are the huge 30 mm brushes. One is bloomed and the other is new looking. They're actually bigger than they look and actually measure 33 mm. Very soft but with a ton of backbone.

There are many many very good brushes. Do plenty of homework. You don't have to spend gobs of money to get a super nice brush, but the more you know the more likely you are to get what you are looking for and what you expected to get.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’ve heard of Whipped Dog and I know many people have been satisfied with their brushes. What are the major differences between those and a Simpson or a Plisson?

I have no experience with Plisson but I have experience with Simpson. Simpson Best, not a Simpson Silvertip. In my opinion Whipped Dog High Mountain and Whipped Dog Silvertip are superior to Simpson Best.

I’ve only tried two silvertip badgers. The Golden Nib and Envy Shave’s Luxury Silvertip. For me the Envy Shave is hands down far superior if you like a dense and luxuriously soft brush. I like it so much I have two.

Appreciate the responses everyone. Looked over all these suggestions. I went with a Semogue 2015 Hd silvertip. Two banded and hand made by a family run business. Seems like it’s a good value for the money.

Top Bottom