What's new

Concerns from the wife

Ok so I am researching straights and at this point am pretty sure I will go with whipped dog when I make the purchase. But my wife has one concern that I feel is valid enough to ask. I didn't see a thread on it so here it is.

Other than a case and sticking it high up in the medicine cabinet. What precautions must I take to keep the SR out of my 2 year olds reach? Wife is concerned that it can be a weapon. My opinion is kitchen cutlery is just as bad if not worse.

Also is daily storage in a leather pouch ok?

I have 2 young children at home. I'd say just apply common sense. Don't leave it anywhere where your child can reach. (similar to a standard razor your wife would use, kitchen knives, pocket knives, etc.) As for the medicine cabinet, straights do not fair well near moisture so I'd suggest against long-term bathroom storage. A leather pouch or the silicone sleeves that thesuperiorshave.com sells would work. ( http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Straight_Razor_Sheaths_Cases_Rolls.html )

Maybe in a high cabinet, drawer, closet outside of the bathroom?

Also, as keeping the wife happy and supportive of straight razors is critical, maybe you could consider a small lock-box if you/she would feel more comfortable having it locked up. As for me in my house, I think that might be overkill, but of course, its all about your/her comfort level.

Last edited:
Don't store it with the Lincoln Logs. :lol: My wife was safety conscious to a fault when we lived with the pitter patter of little feet. Common sense and an ounce of prevention will get you through. Store it in your "personal" drawer up high. Congratulations.

Your Whipped Dog straight will almost undoubtedly need to be stored in a dryer room than the bathroom. Carbon Steel blades + moisture = rust.

We have a bedroom that was converted into an office where I store the straight razors. IMO a high shelf is a good place for them if there are no other shelves leading up to them. I only mention shelves leading to the high shelf because I remember climbing our kitchen drawers up to the counter-tops when I was 4-ish (that's where Mother put the cakes).

It is a pretty common caution NOT to store a razor in a leather pouch for myriad reasons, most of which can be found elsewhere on this forum. I store 3 of mine in an Otterbox which in addition to keeping them out of curious hands (when using a TSA style lock), affords a lot of protection from moisture and tile floors if accidentaly dropped

I would not store a recently used razor in a leather pouch in the bathroom. I do store my razors in my bathroom in an antique cigar stand where it open air dries after I wipe with a tissue paper thoroughly and strop on wool felt and leather for 25/60 laps respectively. I have never had an issue with my razors, though I should say my bathroom is quite well ventilated (our furnace circulates air throughout the house 24/7) there is always air movement. If your bathroom is not well ventilated, there could be an issue. Those silicone socks from The Superior Shave are a good investment if you are storing in a pretty humid environment.

I don't store anything in the bathroom except software (soaps, alum...etc). Everything else is in a plastic drawer with silica gel packs in my room or in the silicone sleeves from TSS. I'd say for safety, just keep things out of reach from kids as well as in a spot where they won't fall or be knocked off of a surface.

My little ones are old enough to not get into the sharp things. But someone on here recently posted that they used a locking clipboard for storage safe from little fingers. A quick google showed them for around $20. Some foam or the silicon sleeves would probably be good if you're storing several

Show your 2 year old what they are in the same way you would a knife or a match or something hot! Children learn by touch and feel and seeing thing represented to them as something they should not touch. Then place them safely out if harms way.

Show your 2 year old what they are in the same way you would a knife or a match or something hot! Children learn by touch and feel and seeing thing represented to them as something they should not touch. Then place them safely out if harms way.

This is what I did with my kids when they were small. I showed them my razors and faked touching the blade and acting like it cut me. They definitely understood, whenever my son (2.5 years old) was in our bathroom afterwards he would point at my razors and says something along the lines of "Ouchie, ouchie! Don't touch!" He never did go near the razors even though they were accessible if he really tried. My daughter was old enough at that time (5 years old) to fully understand.

I've got a 4 year old in the house and he knows razors are sharp and tells me so every time I shave. I would put them up high and don't let the kids near them.

I keep them all in silicone sleeves in a sterilite stacking drawer under my sink in the bathroom. My three year old and six year old both know they are sharp and have never shown any interest in trying to get to them. They also are never in our bathroom unsupervised.

Depending on where you live, ventilation in bathroom, storing in the bathroom is not completely out of the question.
I live in northern California where humidity is low and the bathroom is well ventilated so moisture does not hang around leisurely.
I safely store 50+ straights in a dedicated cabinet in the bathroom - most are naked in the cabinet; I do have about 5-6 in silicon sleeves (only b/c I might as well use the sleeves if I have them).
No issues at all. I do put some oil on the blade after cleaning/drying and before placing in the cabinet.

As for the kids, just keep them out of reach. As you mentioned kitchen knives can be as large/or larger a danger - use common sense and there should be nothing to worry about.

My daughter isn't really allowed in the ensuite bathroom. She has one of her own, so there's really no need for her to be in there. I do however keep my straight in my night stand drawer. She knows that's a place to stay out of as well. It also helps that the straight is in a metal tin, and the tin is in a paper sleeve.

After using your straight, I would not pack it away like that. The likelihood of rust would be high...unless you use silicone sleeves maybe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My soon to be 9 year old son cut himself on my Feather DX so curiosity know no age limits. Not badly, but now he knows not to touch.

Wow, I really started a true discussion. I will take all of this into account. After today it doesn't seem like an issue at all. It's still going to be some time as I have way to many carts to clear out first.

Our bathroom circulated pretty quickly since we keep the door open after showering and run the fan for a bit after we leave as well. On top if living in a desert environment.

I will look for some silicone sleeves though.

Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom