What's new

Comprehensive guide to building superlative lather!

Joel, where may I ask did you get your lathering bowl? It looks like it works amazingly with the flattened bottom. Thanks!

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time!

As for the lathering bowl.....what works very nicely for me is the mortar part of an inexpensive mortar and pestle I picked up at Target.

Versus a bowl, the mortar has ridges in the bottom intended to provide a mild grinding surface. This seems to help whip up the lather a bit faster than using a smooth bottomed bowl.

YMMY
:biggrin:

Joel, where may I ask did you get your lathering bowl? It looks like it works amazingly with the flattened bottom. Thanks!

Vintage handmade native american stuff. Had quite a few of them, but gave 'em away to fellas on the forum 3-4 years ago... I've only got one left.

As I've stated in other posts, I'm always looking for new and better ways of generating nice, thick, warm lather on my brush. Joel, thank you so much for taking the time to show us step by step your method. I believe that tomorrow I will be going to Target to pick up a water heater to add to my wetshaving equipment. Thanks again. A very well written post.

This is, indeed, an excellent set of instructions, and the pictures are wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

these instructions solved several riddles for me, but I have a few final questions...should I be adding water until I'm at the edge of how much water the soap can take? Or, more importantly, what does "great" lather feel like...slippery, dry, wet, etc. Thanks!

Great instructions joel, works perfect everytime. Where might i find a shave bowl similar to the one used in this demonstration?

Someone asked earlier about using soaps with this method. One challenge I have had is putting a warmed brush on a cold cake of soap. Want warm soap? I have some C&E in a Corning Ware dish. (This should also work with other good soaps and a mug). Set the dish or mug in the water pot and fill to about half way up the dish/mug and set it on low while you shower. The soap (and dish) will be warm! Using soap, and having the brush warm per previous instructions, you can make warm lather ON YOUR FACE. A good soap will also lather in a warmed bowl the same as a cream.
Experiment, experiment, experiment.

You can find similar bowls at many Asian housewares and grocery stores, particularly in Korean areas. We have a set of heavy Korean porcelain ware in a green-grey finish that includes a number of flat-bottomed bowls much like the one in Joel's pictures.:001_smile

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this isn't a sticky (found it through google), but I think it'd be great to add it to the list of good threads for newbies.

EDIT: I just saw it's a sticky for the soaps section. But maybe add it to this thread list?

Im new to wet shaving and this post has helped me to build a lather that allows me to shave with ease while using my Feather AC-DX. This thick lather method allows me to swipe my coarse hair off with the utmost of ease with almost no real nicks aside from skin imperfections. Thanks

Bloody brilliant post!!! I've been struggling to get a rich lather, who knew all I needed was a teaspoon of hot water and another 15 swirls :biggrin:

Greetings! I'm using TOBS lavender soap...using the above methods, will my lather be comparable, or is this a soap vs. cream issue?

Top Bottom