What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210610_093652_2.jpg

Razor: Pearl Flexi v2 (Setting 6)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (5)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn (25mm Synthetic Silver Tip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Pearl Flexi v2 on setting 6 is efficient, but not as highly efficient as I thought it would be wide open. On the plus side, The Flexi was smooth, not harsh or aggressive, even when running wide open. :)

Nice razor! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday
Razor: Karve SB-G
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (6 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210612_213127~2.jpg

The Karve SB-G has become one of my favorite DE razors. The SB-G plate is one of the rare plates that combines highly efficient and smooth. The hand and face feel is excellent. Firmly ensconced in the Big Dogs Rotation. At the price, the SB-G is one of the best bargains out there.

Outstanding shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (TiBam Ti Antique)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
20210615_155129~2.jpg

The Ikon B1 Standard is nimble, efficient and effective. Used my preferred steep angle and was rewarded with a very smooth and irritation free shave. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Lather: Goodfellas Sea Citrus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
shave 20210618_142304_2.jpg

I need to spend more time extolling the virtues of the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. This is one of the best value razors out there - a $40 razor that is in my Big Dogs Razors Rotation. It is my favorite slant - efficient, smooth and effective enough to be a Daily Driver. The FOCS definitely rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Mühle Rocca R96 V3
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
shave 20210703_140715_2.jpg

Used my preferred steep angle with the Mühle Rocca R96/3. Efficient and smooth with the Personna Israeli Platinum Red blade. More shaves needed to determine placement in my razor hierarchy. I also have the Mühle Rocca R95 V4 on the way to see if I can tell any difference between the V3 and V4. :)

Excellent shave. :cool:

Just tried the Karve Brass SB-G. Wow. The quickest, most painless, drama-free shave I've had so far. Way smoother and efficient than R41 and iKon B1 Standard. And at such a relatively low price compared to stainless steel razors.

I only need to nail down the angle a bit, as I still have some whiskers after the ATG on my neck.

Looking forward to the H plate, if they ever decide to make one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just tried the Karve Brass SB-G. Wow. The quickest, most painless, drama-free shave I've had so far. Way smoother and efficient than R41 and iKon B1 Standard. And at such a relatively low price compared to stainless steel razors.

I only need to nail down the angle a bit, as I still have some whiskers after the ATG on my neck.

Looking forward to the H plate, if they ever decide to make one.

The Karve Brass SB-G is a very special razor. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210710_211744~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle R95 V4
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave: Pitralon

Used the same Personna Israeli Platinum Red blade with the R95 V4 that I used in the R96 V3. Went with my preferred steep angle. The shave with the R95 V4 was efficient and smooth - as it was with the R96 V3.

So.....is there any difference between the V4 and the V3? After one shave, sure feels close to me - maybe (maybe?) the V4 is very slightly smoother (or maybe I'm fooling myself?). In any event, it's not a difference that is massively apparent. Obviously, more shaves will be needed to ultimately determine: 1) do the V4 and the V3 shave the same and 2) where to place the Mühle Rocca in my razor hierarchy. For now, I can state that my impressions of the Rocca have (so far, at least) been positive. :)

Excellent shave! :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I shaved with the Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor yesterday. It fit right in the price range at $125 iirc. It is definitely a uniquely satisfying ultra smooth shave. And the razor is just stunningly beautiful, with a unique head design. I have gravitated away from very mild razors these days. But the Everyday still pleases. Sorry, no pic.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 1294922

Used the same Personna Israeli Platinum Red blade with the R95 V4 that I used in the R96 V3. Went with my preferred steep angle. The shave with the R95 V4 was efficient and smooth - as it was with the R96 V3.

So.....is there any difference between the V4 and the V3? After one shave, sure feels close to me - maybe (maybe?) the V4 is very slightly smoother (or maybe I'm fooling myself?). In any event, it's not a difference that is massively apparent. Obviously, more shaves will be needed to ultimately determine: 1) do the V4 and the V3 shave the same and 2) where to place the Mühle Rocca in my razor hierarchy. For now, I can state that my impressions of the Rocca have (so far, at least) been positive. :)

Nice review, Dave.

How do you like the R95 handle?

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1294922

I had the V3 and now have the V4. In my case the newer model was noticeably smoother. From what I've read, there were manufacturing issues with the pre-V4 Rocca razors leading to variability in some of the tolerances. In situations like that some of the older models (most of them I would suspect) were likely up to spec. You may have a V3 that is well made and which will likely behave exactly like your V4.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I had the V3 and now have the V4. In my case the newer model was noticeably smoother. From what I've read, there were manufacturing issues with the pre-V4 Rocca razors leading to variability in some of the tolerances. In situations like that some of the older models (most of them I would suspect) were likely up to spec. You may have a V3 that is well made and which will likely behave exactly like your V4.

Thank you for the additional information. Appreciate your insights. :)

I'll get more shaves in with both the V4 and the V3, using the same handle and blade, and see if I can discern any differences. As you said, it could be that I just have a really good V3. :cool:

View attachment 1294922

Hey Dave,

In these reviews do you ever go for a BBS, and do you do a lot of buffing?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hey Dave,

In these reviews do you ever go for a BBS, and do you do a lot of buffing?

My beard is old, gray, wiry and grows in lots of swirls and chaotic directions. To give you an idea: the areas between the corners of my mouth and my jawline would take five passes (N>S, S>N, XTG and diagonal passes from the corner of my mouth to my chin and then back from my chin up to the corner of my mouth) to get DFS++/BBS. I have similar areas on my neck and along my jawline.

So.....I do not chase BBS. Three passes plus touch-ups and the result is what it is. I don't do a lot of buffing.

Do I get shaves that are BBS? Yes, absolutely. Do I ever get shaves that are less than DFS? Rarely, if ever. So my results are pretty much always between DFS and BBS with the majority in the DFS+ range - which is good enough for me. :)

My favorite razors combine the characteristics of highly efficient and very smooth - what I call highly effective.

I prefer a steep angle, when the razor allows it.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My beard is old, gray, wiry and grows in lots of swirls and chaotic directions. To give you an idea: the areas between the corners of my mouth and my jawline would take five passes (N>S, S>N, XTG and diagonal passes from the corner of my mouth to my chin and then back from my chin up to the corner of my mouth) to get DFS++/BBS. I have similar areas on my neck and along my jawline.

So.....I do not chase BBS. Three passes plus touch-ups and the result is what it is. I don't do a lot of buffing.

Do I get shaves that are BBS? Yes, absolutely. Do I ever get shaves that are less than DFS? Rarely, if ever. So my results are pretty much always between DFS and BBS with the majority in the DFS+ range - which is good enough for me. :)

My favorite razors combine the characteristics of highly efficient and very smooth - what I call highly effective.

I prefer a steep angle, when the razor allows it.

Hope this answers your questions. :)
This describes me with the exception that I can get a bbs on my face with just about any razor. But my jaw line down through my neck has a few spots that swirl and lay flat. So that is quite a challenge to get a bbs. It takes a lot of work to get my neck smooth in spots. It happens, but it’s rare. I too get a DFS or better on most shaves without much fuss. And we like the same razors and shaving angle. 😎

Top Bottom