What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I kind of did this......sort of, at least, by grouping the razors into High, Medium or Mild Efficiency. ;)

Will get it posted more clearly. :)

Ah, I misunderstood.

Thought you meant you'd rank, within the high efficiency group, the various razors. Etc.

Switching subjects...It's interesting how a razor we consider very good or even excellent might or might not click for us.

Obviously some of it is subjective and some objective. Some is visual and aesthetic. Some is the razor's feel in our hand and its balance, both its balance in weight and its balance of qualities.

I can probably define good art in a way which might tick the boxes for an artist or an art historian, but I prefer to tell them good art is what I like. It generally offends them, which pleases me, and it makes them think I'm stupid and ignorant which pleases me even more. Generally I don't go beyond that with 'em because it's too easy. I'd rather shoot fish in a barrel and enjoy the art I like looking at.

That said, I believe there are objective and design considerations which play into making one razor better than another. I believe that, but I can't tell you what they are without falling into a big hole which contains all the exceptions to the rule(s).

Cal @Cal has recently been using a Yuma razor which probably sells for one dollar American in Turkey. He says it's displaced his Wolfman, Timeless Slim, and other razors as the top dog. I have a Yuma in transit.

I will say I've been very impressed with Karve and Timeless and RazoRock and Pearl which are some of the razors I've used only recently, but not all have clicked in the same way.

Your thread and other postings have influenced my shopping patterns. I've noticed you tend to like razors I like. My guess is we have somewhat similar skin and whiskers. My beard is not what I'd call heavy by any means, but it's very wiry with a beard map which reminds me of the shifting sands of the Sahara. Like you, I don't actually chase the baby - a Damn Comfortable Shave always comes first - but I like babies when I catch one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ah, I misunderstood.

Thought you meant you'd rank, within the high efficiency group, the various razors. Etc.

Switching subjects...It's interesting how a razor we consider very good or even excellent might or might not click for us.

Obviously some of it is subjective and some objective. Some is visual and aesthetic. Some is the razor's feel in our hand and its balance, both its balance in weight and its balance of qualities.

I can probably define good art in a way which might tick the boxes for an artist or an art historian, but I prefer to tell them good art is what I like. It generally offends them, which pleases me, and it makes them think I'm stupid and ignorant which pleases me even more. Generally I don't go beyond that with 'em because it's too easy. I'd rather shoot fish in a barrel and enjoy the art I like looking at.

That said, I believe there are objective and design considerations which play into making one razor better than another. I believe that, but I can't tell you what they are without falling into a big hole which contains all the exceptions to the rule(s).

Cal @Cal has recently been using a Yuma razor which probably sells for one dollar American in Turkey. He says it's displaced his Wolfman, Timeless Slim, and other razors as the top dog. I have a Yuma in transit.

I will say I've been very impressed with Karve and Timeless and RazoRock and Pearl which are some of the razors I've used only recently, but not all have clicked in the same way.

Your thread and other postings have influenced my shopping patterns. I've noticed you tend to like razors I like. My guess is we have somewhat similar skin and whiskers. My beard is not what I'd call heavy by any means, but it's very wiry with a beard map which reminds me of the shifting sands of the Sahara. Like you, I don't actually chase the baby - a Damn Comfortable Shave always comes first - but I like babies when I catch one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you, my friend. Your kind comments are appreciated.

I may have to dig out my Yuma for another try. ;)

Our beards do sound similar, though mine is thick along my jawline, jaw, goatee area and neck. Mine also grows really fast - especially where it grows thick - and in varied directions and swirls.

Regarding the razors in the High Efficiency group (in alphabetical order):

Blackland Dart
Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Ikon B1 Standard
Karve Brass SB-G
Merkur Progress (higher settings)
Mühle R41 Twist
Mühle Rocca R96 (V3)
RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95-SB
RazoRock Wunderbar
Yates 921-H (Stonewashed Stainless)

My current personal #1 is the Karve Brass SB-G, followed by the (very tightly grouped) Fatip Lo Storto Originale, Ikon B1 Standard and Blackland Dart. The rest follow: RazoRock Wunderbar, RazoRock Lupo .95, Yates 921-H, Mühle R41 Twist, Merkur Progress and Mühle Rocca R96 (V3).

Hope this helps. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
⬆ Thanks ⬆
You are most welcome. :)

Just a reminder to everyone that the razors in this thread are approximately US$75 - US$125 in price - hence no Blackbirds, Timeless, Wolfman, etc.

Of note: Their reasonable costs notwithstanding, the Karve Brass SB-G, Fatip Lo Storto Originale and Ikon B1 Standard are in my Big Dogs Rotation. I consider all three to be exceptional values.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You are most welcome. :)

Just a reminder to everyone that the razors in this thread are approximately US$75 - US$125 in price - hence no Blackbirds, Timeless, Wolfman, etc.

Of note: Their reasonable costs notwithstanding, the Karve Brass SB-G, Fatip Lo Storto Originale and Ikon B1 Standard are in my Big Dogs Rotation. I consider all three to be exceptional values.

Just mentioning the Timeless Aluminum which is barely expensive enough to be included in this comparison of razors. If you buy the scratch and dent version it's too inexpensive to make the cut.

Yes, we're talking a Timeless with an included stand for $75 (new) or less.

The reviews so far are mostly quite impressive, but of course not everyone likes everything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just mentioning the Timeless Aluminum which is barely expensive enough to be included in this comparison of razors. If you buy the scratch and dent version it's too inexpensive to make the cut.

Yes, we're talking a Timeless with an included stand for $75 (new) or less.

The reviews so far are mostly quite impressive, but of course not everyone likes everything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'll have to dig mine out, shave and post my thoughts. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Paging @Chan Eil Whiskers :cool:

Razor: Timeless Aluminum (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: La Toja Stick
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal :001-wub:
20210519_141110~2.jpg

Always considered the Timeless Aluminum to be a competent razor. For me, the Aluminum razor is too light. Not as effortless and intuitive as the Big Dog razors in my regular rotation.

Decided to try the Timeless Ti TRH6 Titanium handle in place of the stock Aluminum handle. The Ti handle changes the balance and feel enough. The combination felt much more natural in hand and on face.

Result: Not a Big Dog, but not bad at all. Using the Timeless Ti TRH6 handle, it's borderline Runs With The Big Dogs. :thumbup:

And, as an aside, The Veg Rocks! :punk:

Very nice shave! :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, David.

Interesting modification. From what I've read (and that's all I know) the Aluminum isn't much lighter than the Ti, but sometimes a bit more weight is significant. It seems to me the guys who like the Aluminum the best are the same guys who use it a lot (and maybe get very adjusted to it).

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: RazoRock Lupo .95 SB (Trident Razors Ti G2 Albion)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3 (Combination of Bay Rums + Sweet Tobacco Fragrance Oil)
20210522_113902~2.jpg

Decided to try the Lupo .95 SB with the Personna Israeli Platinum Red. I like this combination. Very pleasant shave with excellent results. :thumbup:

Dear Sir,
Your comparisons really help me a lot.
Would you mind comparing ATT H2 with ATT Windsor H?
Besides, I am also curious about the differences between RR BBS (in SS) and RR Baby Smooth (in aluminum).
I cannot appreciate your inputs enough.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Dear Sir,
Your comparisons really help me a lot.
Would you mind comparing ATT H2 with ATT Windsor H?
Besides, I am also curious about the differences between RR BBS (in SS) and RR Baby Smooth (in aluminum).
I cannot appreciate your inputs enough.

@Vincentchou - Thank you for your kind feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not have either the ATT classic H2 nor the Windsor SSH1 razors.

For ATT, I have the following:
  • Classic H1-SB (head only)
  • Windsor Pro (complete razor)
  • CH1 Copper .91mm High Efficiency Baseplate
  • CR1 Copper .58mm Regular Efficiency Baseplate
  • CM1 Copper .25mm Mild Efficiency Baseplate
  • Calypso Copper Handle (x2)
If you meant the Classic H1, it is a highly efficient razor that is still quite smooth. Very similar to the Copper CH1, I prefer the Copper because it is slightly smoother on my face.

I have, and like The RazoRock BBS in stainless but do not have the Baby Smooth in Aluminum for comparison.

@Vincentchou - Thank you for your kind feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not have either the ATT classic H2 nor the Windsor SSH1 razors.

For ATT, I have the following:
  • Classic H1-SB (head only)
  • Windsor Pro (complete razor)
  • CH1 Copper .91mm High Efficiency Baseplate
  • CR1 Copper .58mm Regular Efficiency Baseplate
  • CM1 Copper .25mm Mild Efficiency Baseplate
  • Calypso Copper Handle (x2)
If you meant the Classic H1, it is a highly efficient razor that is still quite smooth. Very similar to the Copper CH1, I prefer the Copper because it is slightly smoother on my face.

I have, and like The RazoRock BBS in stainless but do not have the Baby Smooth in Aluminum for comparison.

Hi @never-stop-learning,
I appreciate your reply a lot.
As far as I know, CH1 is a copper version of Windsor H1.
If classic H1~=Windsor H1,
I think classic H2 may be more efficient than Windsor H1.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210527_103700~2.jpg

Razor: Henson Al-13 (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: RazoRock Zi' Peppino

Taking another run at the Henson Al13, this time paired with the Timeless TRH8 Titanium Handle and a fresh Feather blade.

My Al13 is the original version. Well made razor. Balance is better (to me) with the Timeless Titanium handle.

This is a very mild razor that has a difficult time with my barbed wire whiskers. Absolutely smooth, but not quite efficient enough for my needs. If you have a lighter, less grizzled beard, I can see where the Al13 would work for you. As always, YMMV. :cool:

A pleasant shave! :cool:

Razor: RazoRock Lupo .95 SB (Trident Razors Ti G2 Albion)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3 (Combination of Bay Rums + Sweet Tobacco Fragrance Oil)
View attachment 1270661
Decided to try the Lupo .95 SB with the Personna Israeli Platinum Red. I like this combination. Very pleasant shave with excellent results. :thumbup:

Ah, looking forward to trying out that very razor. And maybe some Personna blades...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ah, looking forward to trying out that very razor. And maybe some Personna blades...

The Israeli Platinum Red blades are no longer made in Israel. Hard to get genuine Israeli blades.

The Personna Med Prep is still in production and is very close in performance to the Israeli Platinum Reds.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Karve Brass SB-G (Widebody Cap)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210529_204048~2.jpg

Smooth, efficient and very effective - the Karve Brass SB-G glides through my whiskers and is kind to my face. :001_wub:

The Karve Brass SB-G is an excellent value and has a very firm hold on its place in the Big Dog Rotation. :thumbup: 🐶

Superb shave! :cool:

Top Bottom