What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shave 20210129
View attachment 1215377
Razor: Merkur Progress (Setting: 2.0)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TOBS Lavender
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

My only razor from 2013 - 2019. Still performs wonderfully and provides a very nice shave.

Gets the job done in a very expeditious manner and has the benefit of being able to change the blade geometry without having to change the base. :)

Great shave. :cool:

I still enjoy a progress shave from time to time. It’s a very capable razor. Although I did upgrade from a progress to a Mergress a few years back, which you’ll need to do if you’re going to keep within your $75 to $125 price range. 😜😎

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I still enjoy a progress shave from time to time. It’s a very capable razor. Although I did upgrade from a progress to a Mergress a few years back, which you’ll need to do if you’re going to keep within your $75 to $125 price range. 😜😎

You are correct. It was a little under the ~$75 US. And, yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade it to a Mergress. ;)

Glad to see the Progress in the thread. The only razor in your collection that I own (very very affordable if you wait patiently for a used one on ebay). I love this razor, and agree that it "gets the job done in a very expeditious manner." I felt like Capt. America in the Avengers: "I understand that reference."

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Glad to see the Progress in the thread. The only razor in your collection that I own (very very affordable if you wait patiently for a used one on ebay). I love this razor, and agree that it "gets the job done in a very expeditious manner." I felt like Capt. America in the Avengers: "I understand that reference."

The Progress does hold up well - even after 8 years of use. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210130
20210130_204425~2.jpg

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Rex Envoy delivers smooth, medium+ to medium++ efficient, effective, consistent shaves. 👍

Excellent razor. :cool:

View attachment 1213582
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.72-SB
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: TOBS Grapefruit
Aftershave: RazoRock Saturnia

The Lupo Stainless 0.72-SB provides a smooth, medium efficient shave. Good candidate for a Daily Driver.

Nice shave! :cool:
Hi,Which would you say was the most efficient the Lupo.72 sb or the gamechanger .84 sb?Cheers!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210131.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Dart
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (5 and retired)
Brush: H. L. Thater 4292/5 25mm Finest 2-Band Silvertip
Aftershave: Fine Lavender

The Dart has a lot going for it. Looks great. Feels great in hand. Well constructed - blade is extremely well clamped. The shave is controlled, efficient & effective. A great DE razor - especially for $100. 👍

Great razor = great shave. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi,Which would you say was the most efficient the Lupo.72 sb or the gamechanger .84 sb?Cheers!

To my face they are fairly close to each other in efficiency.

Both are smooth and moderately efficient - good candidates for 'Daily Driver' status.

They are both very good razors and very good values. However, the geometry is not the same and they do feel different on my face.
lupo72-gc84 profile.jpg
lupo72-gc84 bases.jpg

Last shave with the GC84-SB:

Razor: RazoRock GC84-SB
Blade: Silver Star (5)
20210114_203530_2.jpg

So.....just when I'm thinking that the GC84-SB will be giving up its place in my 'Frequent' rotation, it delivers a wonderful, drama free, efficient, smooth shave. The 'old timer' really delivered today.

Better than the Lupo 0.72-SB? No, but pretty darn close to each other. Efficiency is close. The Lupo 0.72 may be a touch smoother. Neither razor, in my opinion, is aggressive. The GC84-SB may ultimately give way to the Lupo 0.72-SB due to the Lupo's small edge in smoothness, but it is close.

Last shave with the Lupo 0.72-SB:

20210125_195239_2.jpg

The Lupo Stainless 0.72-SB provides a smooth, medium efficient shave. Good candidate for a Daily Driver.

Which one do I like? Preference is individual and highly personal. Both of these fine razors are going to have their adherents.

I like both razors. Today? I would probably give a 60/40 edge to the GC84-SB. Next week/month? They may very well change places. There is something intangible, though, that draws me to the GC84-SB.

Just the opinion of an old contrarian and YMMV. :)

View attachment 1216335
Razor: Blackland Razors Dart
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (5 and retired)
Brush: H. L. Thater 4292/5 25mm Finest 2-Band Silvertip
Aftershave: Fine Lavender

The Dart has a lot going for it. Looks great. Feels great in hand. Well constructed - blade is extremely well clamped. The shave is controlled, efficient & effective. A great DE razor - especially for $100. 👍

Great razor = great shave. :cool:

Is this the machined version? Do you find that it suffers from drag issues that some people report?

Thanks.

To my face they are fairly close to each other in efficiency.

Both are smooth and moderately efficient - good candidates for 'Daily Driver' status.

They are both very good razors and very good values. However, the geometry is not the same and they do feel different on my face.
View attachment 1216400View attachment 1216401

Last shave with the GC84-SB:

Razor: RazoRock GC84-SB
Blade: Silver Star (5)
View attachment 1216405

So.....just when I'm thinking that the GC84-SB will be giving up its place in my 'Frequent' rotation, it delivers a wonderful, drama free, efficient, smooth shave. The 'old timer' really delivered today.

Better than the Lupo 0.72-SB? No, but pretty darn close to each other. Efficiency is close. The Lupo 0.72 may be a touch smoother. Neither razor, in my opinion, is aggressive. The GC84-SB may ultimately give way to the Lupo 0.72-SB due to the Lupo's small edge in smoothness, but it is close.

Last shave with the Lupo 0.72-SB:

View attachment 1216404

Which one do I like? Preference is individual and highly personal. Both of these fine razors are going to have their adherents.

I like both razors. Today? I would probably give a 60/40 edge to the GC84-SB. Next week/month? They may very well change places. There is something intangible, though, that draws me to the GC84-SB.

Just the opinion of an old contrarian and YMMV. :)
Thank you so much for this review.I got the .84 gamechanger a few weeks ago and thought it was redundant already lol.I'll probably get the Lupo eventually but for now i'll enjoy what i have.Thanks agaiin bud have a lovely day.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
First shot at compiling all of this stuff in one place:

RazorNotesEfficiency Category
Above The Tie Windsor ProEfficiency is between mild and medium, but still effective. Very comfortable. Took an extra pass but did so without irritation. Recommended for those who like a milder, but still effective, razor.Medium
Blackland Razors DartThe Dart is a gorgeous razor. Well constructed. Solid. Efficient, effective and exacting. Looks and shaves way the heck above its $99 cost. The Dart can definitely run with the Big Dog razors. The Dart is a one of my favorite DE razors - price notwithstanding. Highly recommended for those seeking a highly efficient razor!High
Charcoal Goods Stainless Everyday RazorThis razor lives up to its name - I could easily use it every day. A very competent razor and a pleasure to use. Recommended for those who enjoy a mild/mid efficient razor. For the shaver that does a daily 3-pass plus touch-up, the CG Everyday will perform nicely. Recommended.Medium
Fatip Lo Storto OriginaleThe Fatip Lo Storto Originale is a superb razor! It glides across my face. Close, efficient, comfortable, smooth and effective. The FOCS Rocks!High
Ikon B1 OC DeluxeThis is the mildest of the Ikon B1 series of razors. Medium efficiency, but still nice and effective. Kind of reminds me of the Gillette NEW LC. A very pleasant razor to use. Recommended.Medium
Ikon B1 OSS Dual CombCool razor. One side is the B1 OC Deluxe, the other side is the B1 Standard. You have medium efficiency on the OC side and high efficiency on the SB side. I used the higher efficiency SB side WTG and the medium efficiency OC side for the XTG and ATG passes. Worked pretty darn well. Recommended, especially so if Dual Comb razors appeal to you.Mixed Medium & High
Ikon B1 StandardThe Ikon B1 Standard is right up there with the Muhle R41 Twist on the efficiency scale. No daydreaming allowed. With the proper technique, I get a very close, efficient and effective shaves. The low-profile head is nimble and maneuverable. The B1 Standard is really well made and the results are excellent - a razor that does not get the recognition it deserves. Highly Recommended, especially for those who like a very efficient razor!High
Karve Mixed OC-C and SB-DI really like this razor. Lots of flexibility with a wide variety of SB and OC plates. Very good combination of smooth, efficient and effective. My shaves with the Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate) are really pleasant with excellent results. The SB-D plate provides a step up in efficiency while still maintaind a nice smooth feel on my face. Wonderful, consistent and effective - the Karve is definitely a sweet shaving razor that can run with the 'Big Dogs'. Highly recommended.Mixed Mild, Medium and High
Merkur ProgressMy one and only razor from 2013 - 2019. Can be a daily shaver on the milder settings or mow down a full beard on the higher settings. Provides a very competent shave. A very fine adjustable.Mixed Mild, Medium and High
Mühle R41 TwistExcellent shave. You do have to pay attention when shaving with the R41 Twist. Definitely an efficient razor. A very good razor, probably best for an every other day rotation. Recommended.High
Mühle Rocca R96 (V3)The Mühle Rocca R96 feels comfortable in my hand. Nice balance. Used steep and neutral/shallow angles depending on the area of my face. Blade feel is apparent, but controlled. Efficient, with some very minor roughness - will experiment with different blades to see if there is a better match. Good results for the first shave using this razor.High
Occam's Stainless DE Safety Razor (Full OC Plate)Gets the job done in a very intuitive yet workmanlike manner. Medium efficient. Very smooth with no irritation. A very underrated razor that provides an excellent and stress free shave. Excellent value for the cost - especially if you got one at the introductory price. Excellent shave! Recommended.Medium
RazoRock BBSThe BBS provides a nice, close, smooth and comfortable shave. A very nice razor. Is it THAT much better than the Mamba 70? No - but it does get you there quicker and easier. Recommended.Mild
RazoRock GC84-PI like the new BBS and the Mamba 70. But, were I forced to choose only one of these three very excellent and capable razors, the GC84-P is the one I would choose. The GC84-P feels more natural, is more efficient, is not super critical regarding angle and gives me a great shave every time I use it. The RR GC84-P is a very good razor and an excellent value for the price! Recommended.Medium
RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.72-SBThe Lupo Stainless 0.72-SB and the Lupo DLC are very similar. Both provide a smooth, and efficient, shave. Not aggressive at all. Definitely in the Daily Driver group.Medium
RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95-SBDefinitely the most efficient of the three (0.95, 0.72, DLC) Lupo razors in my Den. More blade feel. More aggressive, but still smooth.High
RazoRock Lupo Stainless DLC (Discontinued)The Stainless RazoRock Lupo w/DLC coating is also a very nice razor that shaves above its cost. The DLC coating feels a bit different against my face, which takes a little getting used to. The shaves are close, efficient and effective. Recommended. This was a really nice shave. Comfortable, smooth, nice and close. The Lupo DLC is a razor that can easily be used every day and that provides superb results. The (very) slight difference in feel the DLC imparts is certainly not a big deal. I really like this razor. Now discontinued - included on an FYI basis.Medium
RazoRock Mamba 70Does not feel as efficient as the GC84-P and, sure enough, the end result is not quite as close. Still close, smooth and comfortable - you would have to be seriously trying to cut yourself to actually do do. Recommended for those who like a mild razor over ultimate efficiency.Mild
Rex EnvoyThe Rex Envoy is an outstanding razor that shaves well above its price point. Excellent fit and finish. Absolutely smooth. Medium++ efficient. Outstanding results. The Rex Envoy checks a lot of the right boxes for me - especially at this price point. Can run with the 'Big Dogs'. Highly recommended.Medium
Yates 921-H (Stonewashed Stainless)The Yates 921-H is a mid-high efficient razor. The shave is smooth and close. The stone washed finish feels different than my other stainless razors - more 'face feel', if you will. Not really an issue, but it is different. Efficient and very effective. With good technique, you will be rewarded with consistent and excellent results! Recommended!High
Yates Model 921-HYB (Mixed)The Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap is a medium efficient dual comb razor. It shaves close and smooth. It's not quite as efficient as the 921-H but, with the brass plate, exhibits less of the 'stone washed' feel of the 921-H. Overall, a very effective razor. Recommended.Medium
Yates Model 921-MThe 921-M is a very nice mild-side-of-medium razor. The shaving angle is intuitive. The shave is smooth and irritation free. The 921-M would make, in my opinion, an excellent daily driver. Recommended for shavers who want a milder razor to use every day.Medium

Next steps: Rank the razors in each efficiency category.

This is all my opinions and YMMV.

Feedback and comments are very much appreciated. :cool:

Top Bottom