What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have read (and relate to) so many reviews that say "just had my first shave with X: it's the one!" As I mentioned, my first shave with the B1 Standard was on 55 hours growth and I just find it so much easier to shave on that level; for me the real test comes with daily shaving.

My second shave with the standard, on the consecutive following day, was great again. I really like this razor a lot. I began to think this is the perfect level of aggression for me, I don't need anything else.

Then my Blackbird landed today and I gave it a spin (after two previous daily shavea with rhe Standard). My literal first impression is that the bird has more blade feeling and is more efficient, while the Standard is smoother and plenty efiicient (but still a little less).

Two wonderful razors to have in your rotation. 👍

Both the Blackbird and the B1 Standard are definitely in mine. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have read (and relate to) so many reviews that say "just had my first shave with X: it's the one!" As I mentioned, my first shave with the B1 Standard was on 55 hours growth and I just find it so much easier to shave on that level; for me the real test comes with daily shaving.

My second shave with the standard, on the consecutive following day, was great again. I really like this razor a lot. I began to think this is the perfect level of aggression for me, I don't need anything else.

Then my Blackbird landed today and I gave it a spin (after two previous daily shavea with rhe Standard). My literal first impression is that the bird has more blade feeling and is more efficient, while the Standard is smoother and plenty efiicient (but still a little less).

I'm considering getting the Standard (like I need another razor!), but haven't pulled the trigger and am in no hurry. It is tempting, but it's not compelling.

The Blackbird is a razor I have and don't much like. Well, I like it fine except it has a tendency to jump up from nowhere and bite me, and I don't like that; to me, that's at the least a big part of the very definition of aggressive.

1614450708351.png

A super efficient and yet not aggressive razor is an elusive beast.

I'll be very interested in your comments as you learn the Standard better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm considering getting the Standard (like I need another razor!), but haven't pulled the trigger and am in no hurry. It is tempting, but it's not compelling.

The Blackbird is a razor I have and don't much like. Well, I like it fine except it has a tendency to jump up from nowhere and bite me, and I don't like that; to me, that's at the least a big part of the very definition of aggressive.

View attachment 1229236

A super efficient and yet not aggressive razor is an elusive beast.

I'll be very interested in your comments as you learn the Standard better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I get along great with my Blackbird and have not experienced the issue you reference. :confused1

Used properly, the B1 Standard is one of the razors I like more and more with each use. :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I get along great with my Blackbird and have not experienced the issue you reference. :confused1

Used properly, the B1 Standard is one of the razors I like more and more with each use. :thumbup:

I don't mean that gap is everything or even necessarily all that important, but I tend to get along better with razors which don't have a whole lot of gap and are rather rigid.

On the other hand, I do fine with the R41.

Usually my razors don't get their gaps measured, but occasionally I notice the gap.

Frankly, I can't say I know anything at all about what goes into the make up of a great razor. If I did I might order a Wolfman.

Having shaved with the Wunderbar I think nine times I noticed it gave me a very close, smooth, and comfortable shave today. I don't know what it cost (mine was a gift, but I think maybe they're outside of the range of this thread; upper side outside as opposed to the FOCS on the lower side outside) but it's a razor I'm considering for the Fixed Four.

I already know I can do month after month of daily shaves with the FOCS. Doing that for another month would be pleasant, but not educational. I'd toyed with the notion of buying a Standard for the Fixed, but missed the sale price and then didn't pull the trigger. The Blackbird would be a no-no for me for a month, but it's gotta be a better for many gentlemen than it is for me or it wouldn't be so greatly and widely liked.

Having just gone on the iKon website I noticed they make a B1 Slant, too, which I've never tried (they're out of stock, but listed anyway). In iKons I have the Tech (or Tek; iKon has used both terms) which I'd not consider for a Fixed as I find it kinda harsh, and the X3 slant which is, in my experience with it, pretty efficient, and also pretty smooth feeling albeit a tad prone to biting sometimes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't mean that gap is everything or even necessarily all that important, but I tend to get along better with razors which don't have a whole lot of gap and are rather rigid.

On the other hand, I do fine with the R41.

Usually my razors don't get their gaps measured, but occasionally I notice the gap.

Frankly, I can't say I know anything at all about what goes into the make up of a great razor. If I did I might order a Wolfman.

Having shaved with the Wunderbar I think nine times I noticed it gave me a very close, smooth, and comfortable shave today. I don't know what it cost (mine was a gift, but I think maybe they're outside of the range of this thread; upper side outside as opposed to the FOCS on the lower side outside) but it's a razor I'm considering for the Fixed Four.

I already know I can do month after month of daily shaves with the FOCS. Doing that for another month would be pleasant, but not educational. I'd toyed with the notion of buying a Standard for the Fixed, but missed the sale price and then didn't pull the trigger. The Blackbird would be a no-no for me for a month, but it's gotta be a better for many gentlemen than it is for me or it wouldn't be so greatly and widely liked.

Having just gone on the iKon website I noticed they make a B1 Slant, too, which I've never tried (they're out of stock, but listed anyway). In iKons I have the Tech (or Tek; iKon has used both terms) which I'd not consider for a Fixed as I find it kinda harsh, and the X3 slant which is, in my experience with it, pretty efficient, and also pretty smooth feeling albeit a tad prone to biting sometimes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You are correct - the Wunderbar is certainly close enough in price to have been included.

My last Wunderbar shave:
wunderbar-edit 20200916.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar (Ikon SE 90mm handle)
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Knot)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Classic Match Blue EdT Spray (Belcam version of Polo Blue)

The Wunderbar is a great razor - really efficient and effective.

Really nice shave! :)

So.....Where does the Wunderbar fit in?

To my face, The Wunderbar is marginally more efficient than the FOCS. The FOCS is smoother.

The Wunderbar fits in with someone who shaves every 2 or more days.

The FOCS is totally appropriate as a Daily Driver.

I really need to cycle the Wunderbar through my close rotation to tune up my impressions.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

I have been cycling through some razors that I havent used in a while. They will be put into rotation with my Wolf and CG. The Wunderbar is on deck for the next time that "guest razor" spot comes up. Maybe tomorrow. We will see. Then after that is the original Black Mamba, which is a beast of a razor compared to the production models that followed. Should be an interesting week for shaving.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have been cycling through some razors that I havent used in a while. They will be put into rotation with my Wolf and CG. The Wunderbar is on deck for the next time that "guest razor" spot comes up. Maybe tomorrow. We will see. Then after that is the original Black Mamba, which is a beast of a razor compared to the production models that followed. Should be an interesting week for shaving.

I'd like to hear your feedback on the Wunderbar. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You are correct - the Wunderbar is certainly close enough in price to have been included.

My last Wunderbar shave:
View attachment 1229439
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar (Ikon SE 90mm handle)
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Knot)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Classic Match Blue EdT Spray (Belcam version of Polo Blue)

Really nice shave! :)

So.....Where does the Wunderbar fit in?

To my face, The Wunderbar is marginally more efficient than the FOCS. The FOCS is smoother.

The Wunderbar fits in with someone who shaves every 2 or more days.

The FOCS is totally appropriate as a Daily Driver.

I really need to cycle the Wunderbar through my close rotation to tune up my impressions.

My impressions of the two - the Wunderbar & the FOCS - are exactly the same.

Yet I'm considering the WB for the Fixed Four.

1614473647228.png

1614473687345.png

Happy shaves,

Jim​
BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'd like to hear your feedback on the Wunderbar. :)

David, just shaved with the Wunderbar. CK-6 Aloha Smackdown, Wolf Whiskers Tux, new Wizzie. Finished it off with some B&M 42 splash. Great shave. A little rougher than I remember. A bit of blade feel, but not much. Probably felt rough because my main ride is a WR2, which is like shaving on a cloud. Hard to get under the nose. I may have had facial hair when last used it, but not now. So it was noticeable how hard it is to get under the nose. Very close shave. Any lower neck irritation is probably the result of directly following a crazy CG Level 3 shave that was well above my comfort zone. But overall a great close and smooth shave. This Wunderbar will not be on the BST any time soon.

2021-02-28 08.53.07.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, just shaved with the Wunderbar. CK-6 Aloha Smackdown, Wolf Whiskers Tux, new Wizzie. Finished it off with some B&M 42 splash. Great shave. A little rougher than I remember. A bit of blade feel, but not much. Probably felt rough because my main ride is a WR2, which is like shaving on a cloud. Hard to get under the nose. I may have had facial hair when last used it, but not now. So it was noticeable how hard it is to get under the nose. Very close shave. Any lower neck irritation is probably the result of directly following a crazy CG Level 3 shave that was well above my comfort zone. But overall a great close and smooth shave. This Wunderbar will not be on the BST any time soon.

View attachment 1229663

Great review! Thank you, my friend! :thumbup:

I have mine on tap for Monday. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Silver Star (5 and retired)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
View attachment 1233155
Great razor and an excellent value! :cool:

Not a razor I've been interested in before, but it looks like a good one, and your review is helpful (as your reviews seem to always be). What razors would you compare the Envoy to in terms of the smoothness of the shave itself (its feel) and the smoothness of your skin after the shave (the results)?

You've kinda sorta put the Envoy in two different efficiency categories - medium & high - which probably means it's medium high. I'd suspect you think of it as less efficient than the Wunderbar and the B1 Standard, but that's me guessing. How is the Envoy's efficiency compared to other razors, like perhaps the FOCS?

If you have calipers handy, I'd be interested in knowing the diameter of the handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not a razor I've been interested in before, but it looks like a good one, and your review is helpful (as your reviews seem to always be). What razors would you compare the Envoy to in terms of the smoothness of the shave itself (its feel) and the smoothness of your skin after the shave (the results)?

There is some blade feel but the shave is smooth and my face feels nice and smooth after. Going on 12 hours since I shaved. No '12 hour shadow'. I can feel some stubble rubbing ATG but, overall, still feeling decent. :)

You've kinda sorta put the Envoy in two different efficiency categories - medium & high - which probably means it's medium high. I'd suspect you think of it as less efficient than the Wunderbar and the B1 Standard, but that's me guessing. How is the Envoy's efficiency compared to other razors, like perhaps the FOCS?

The Envoy is Medium+ efficient. Not in Ikon B1 Standard or RR Wunderbar efficiency territory.

If you have calipers handy, I'd be interested in knowing the diameter of the handle.

Be happy to.....after my morning tea. ;)

Additional notes: The Rex Envoy 'feels' like a razor that costs more than $125. Fit and finish is quite good. The Envoy feels substantial in hand and on face. The handle has great grip-ability. I do like this razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210311.jpg

Razor: Pearl Flexi v2
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave-Cologne

Picked up the Pearl Flexi v2 from a fellow B&B Gentleman. This is my first shave with the Flexi v2. I do not have a Gibbs nor a Rex Ambassador for comparison.

Construction is robust - this is a heavy razor. Finish is decent. Adjustment knob is fairly smooth. Loading the blade is a piece of cake. Blade alignment is spot on.

My only razor from 2013 to mid-2019 (when I joined B&B) was a Merkur Progress - a venerable adjustable razor. I also have decent examples of the Gillette Slim and Fat Boy. Adjustable razors are not my 'go to' choice anymore, but I am certainly open to trying new stuff.

Chose a first shave setting of 3 which I was hoping would line up somewhere in the efficiency neighborhood with the Rex Envoy. That was not the case. At the 3 setting, the Flexi is less efficient with less blade feel than the Envoy. Shave number two will be at a setting of 4.

Went steep, which is my preferred angle. So...how was my first shave with the Flexi v2? Not bad.. Required an extra pass plus touch-up. Smooth shave. Mild efficiency. No irritation. Nice result.

For less than $100, the Pearl Flexi v2 deserves consideration from shavers who prefer an adjustable razor.

As for me, I will experiment with different blades and settings to see how the Flexi v2 responds. :cool:

The Question: How does the Pearl Flexi v2 stack up with my favorites in the $75 - $125 price range? My personal bias is for razors that are nimble and maneuverable. The Flexi v2 is heavy and a bit bulky (by comparison) compared with razors like the Blackland Dart, Fatip Lo Storto Originale, Ikon B1 Standard and Karve Brass.

Bottom line? Too early to tell. ;)

More comments to follow with each different blade and/or setting. :cool:

Top Bottom