What's new

Combining (Layering) Stirling Soaps for new novel scents

Hello there!

I have just gotten on the artisanal soap train and thus far focused on Stirling Soaps (8 so far). Not all of them meet my fancy, some are just too much. However, combining them with others has been a real treat and has saved the offenders for me. Adding a bit of this to more of that can make for interesting scents that are quite different than either, and maybe (or not) greater than the sum of their parts. I believe this is called "layering frags" in the scent community.

A. Tested so far:

1. Executive Man + Texas on Fire- heavy on the Executive Man and very very light on Fire. This creates a lather that has pinapple top end notes, herbal mid tones and a smokey base. Very rich! There is precedence for this as Creed Aventus had tarry smoke in it's early formulations. More info here.

2. Barber Shop + Haverford- 70/30 split. Deepens the warm good stuff of Barber Shop while lightening the overdone elements of Haverford. Haverford also clings quite strongly, so this makes for a robust scent that even makes it past a post shave shower.

B. Theoretical (only tested by smelling both at the same time in varying distances):

1. Executive Man/Sharp Dressed Man + Ramblin Man- Still get all the lightness but a bit of agressive meatiness is added as well. Rounded multilevel classic cologne scent I suspect.

2. Sharp Dressed Man + Coniferous: The clean zing of sharp dress man complimented by even more zing and balanced with a woody slightly smoky base. Coniferous by itself is too much for me, so I am interested in how this works.

3. Executive Man + Boat Drinks 2.0: Do you like tropical fruit smashed in your face?

Have you ever done this? What were the results? Any ideas for good combinations?

Last edited:
Hello there!

I have just gotten on the artisanal soap train and thus far focused on Stirling Soaps (8 so far). Not all of them meet my fancy, some are just too much. However, combining them with others has been a real treat and has saved the offenders for me. Adding a bit of this to more of that can make for interesting scents that are quite different than either, and maybe (or not) greater than the sum of their parts. I believe this is called "layering frags" in the scent community.

A. Tested so far:

1. Executive Man + Texas on Fire- heavy on the Executive Man and very very light on Fire. This creates a lather that has high top end notes, herbal mid tones and a smokey base. Very rich! There is precedence for this as Creed Aventus had tarry smoke in it's early formulations. More info here.

2. Barber Shop + Haverford- 70/30 split. Deepens the warm good stuff of Barber Shop while lightening the overdone elements of Haverford. Haverford also clings quite strongly, so this makes for a robust scent that even makes it past a post shave shower.

B. Theoretical (only tested by smelling both at the same time in varying distances):

1. Executive Man/Sharp Dressed Man + Ramblin Man- Still get all the lightness but a bit of agressive meatiness is added as well. Rounded multilevel classic cologne scent I suspect.

2. Sharp Dressed Man + Coniferous: The clean zing of sharp dress man complimented by even more zing and balanced with a woody slightly smoky base. Coniferous by itself is too much for me, so I am interested in how this works.

3. Executive Man + Boat Drinks 2.0: Do you like tropical fruit smashed in your face?

Have you ever done this? What were the results? Any ideas for good combinations?
Wow, some really interesting combinations there! The Barbershop/Haverford one in particular seems like it could really work together. Fun idea!

Just tested out Sharp Dressed Man + Coniferous. It works, but I need be to light on the Coniferous. Whew. It is strong stuff.

Also mixed up Executive Man and Boat Drinks 2.0. Lovely. Boat Drinks is heavy banana and slushed red berries. The pineapple of Executive Man really lightens it. I’ll give it a full go in the morning.

I haven't mixed them in the sense that I'm getting two or more scents at the same time, but I do have a small, covered Pyrex bowl that is nearly the same diameter as a Stirling sample, with five different scents layered atop one another.

Other than the top sample, which is Electric Sheep, I'm not sure of the scents or order, so I call it "Stirling Surprise". At some point I suppose I'll wear through the center of the Sheep, and get a mix of that and whatever is underneath.

I haven't mixed them in the sense that I'm getting two or more scents at the same time, but I do have a small, covered Pyrex bowl that is nearly the same diameter as a Stirling sample, with five different scents layered atop one another.

Other than the top sample, which is Electric Sheep, I'm not sure of the scents or order, so I call it "Stirling Surprise". At some point I suppose I'll wear through the center of the Sheep, and get a mix of that and whatever is underneath.
Well, lets hope the fragrances don't clash. That would be quite fun, no?

Have done this with Mystic Water samples and layered them in a plastic Dollar store container. Your idea of mixing the scents together is fun to create something unique and is a perfect way to use a soap you might not care for scent wise to convert it to a usable product.

Smell testing Barbershop + Texas on Fire is pretty nifty. More smokey depth to the warm powdery sweetness of Barbershop (it already has a little smoke in it).

Going to give Executive Man + Ramblin Man a go tomorrow. They compliment each other quite well. Pineapple & herbs + some spice.

A friend of mine sent me a bunch of Stirling samples he didn't like and I layered one set, and smushed up another set. The smushed up set had Haverford in it and you can still pick it up easily :)

Executive Man + Ramblin Man was alright. But

Executive Man + Coniferous is great! Fruity East Coast IPA with some resinous West Coast IPA backbone. And no estrogens hops (afaict).

Recommended!

The creativity, the engagement, the involvement, the tiny bit of sweat equity make it more meaningful, don't they. (Creativity is supposed to be a universal human trait, but from the wholesale abstention from this thread, maybe it does not manifest much in the form of soap alchemy.)

Complement. That's the form needed for expressing that one element completes or improves another; the smoke complements the sweet, for example. Thank you.

Top Bottom