What's new

Colonial Razor

I just got one and have not used it yet but the blade angle is throwing me off just looking at it. Should I treat it like the angle of a shavette razor where you almost hold it against your face and kick the angle out very slightly, or treat it like a DE? The big head is sort of throwing me off a bit to be honest.

The rounded DE shaped head allows you to play with different angles in different areas. Unlike the chiseled heads of the Mongoose and Hawk where you follow the given angle for the best shave, the domed head ones like the General, ATT, or El Jefe gives you more freedom. My suggestion would be to start off with a shallow angle to get a feel of the razor and then gradually go to a steeper angle until you find the spot where it is effortlessly cutting your whiskers. Of course, go slow, and no pressure (which might be hard to do since the razor is so light.

I usually go by how it feels on my face while shaving. With the Mongoose & the Hawk I start with the built in angle then raise the handle a little for a more aggressive shave. With the General I try different angles until I like the way it feels and cuts. Don't over think it.

I usually go by how it feels on my face while shaving. With the Mongoose & the Hawk I start with the built in angle then raise the handle a little for a more aggressive shave. With the General I try different angles until I like the way it feels and cuts. Don't over think it.
I think you might be absolutely right, I'm thinking of it like a shavette or maybe DE and overthinking it.

The head is not much different than most DE's, just wider. Fine the sweet spot and have a great experience!

Tried it today, it was an OK shave but nothing MAJOR. I still like my Tech the best of all the razors I have tried since getting into wet shaving. Am I being too passive on this razor?

For me, I just seem to lay the head on my skin and lean it in as I start and it seems to just glide across my face. I have never shaved with a shavette or a straight so I can't compare, but it seems to work best when the blade just barely touches my face.

In fact I shave like most and I do WTG, ATG, and XTG as a cleanup pass. This means I actually go from L/R, R/L, and S/N. After the WTG pass when I splash water on my face prior to re-lathering for the ATG pass, I can actually feel the right cheek is almost BBS while the left still has a fair amount of stubble because of how my beard grows. When I do the ATG pass and then splash water I can feel the almost BBS on my entire face. I have found if I don't do my passes in the same sequence everyday, the shave just doesn't feel the same and most times it ends with some irritation so I am very careful to keep my regiment the same.

Since switching to the General and the Feather Pro's, I could probably shave every other day and not really even notice like I do with most of my DE's... It just shaves that great everyday!!

For me, I just seem to lay the head on my skin and lean it in as I start and it seems to just glide across my face. I have never shaved with a shavette or a straight so I can't compare, but it seems to work best when the blade just barely touches my face.

In fact I shave like most and I do WTG, ATG, and XTG as a cleanup pass. This means I actually go from L/R, R/L, and S/N. After the WTG pass when I splash water on my face prior to re-lathering for the ATG pass, I can actually feel the right cheek is almost BBS while the left still has a fair amount of stubble because of how my beard grows. When I do the ATG pass and then splash water I can feel the almost BBS on my entire face. I have found if I don't do my passes in the same sequence everyday, the shave just doesn't feel the same and most times it ends with some irritation so I am very careful to keep my regiment the same.

Since switching to the General and the Feather Pro's, I could probably shave every other day and not really even notice like I do with most of my DE's... It just shaves that great everyday!!

Sounds about like how I shaved with it. Very little angle and light pressure.

I want to say that I use that approach with any of my razors. 37C, R41, and PAA DOC. I found it hard to do with the Hawk but I believe its because of how the head angles downward and its very short to the blade. It just wasn't a very comfortable shave at all. I am thinking of putting it in the BST sometime in the near future. I've only used it twice with both being identical shaves with lots of irritation...

Sounds like an identical experience to my shave earlier hahaha! I think my tech is better and more maneuverable for my beard as well.

I want to say that I use that approach with any of my razors. 37C, R41, and PAA DOC. I found it hard to do with the Hawk but I believe its because of how the head angles downward and its very short to the blade. It just wasn't a very comfortable shave at all. I am thinking of putting it in the BST sometime in the near future. I've only used it twice with both being identical shaves with lots of irritation...

So according to the email I received this morning it looks like end of February or early March...

proxy.php

I shaved with my aluminum General this morning with a Feather Pro. Fantastic shave. Unlike some other SE's on the market this razor never fails to deliver.

I shaved with my aluminum General this morning with a Feather Pro. Fantastic shave. Unlike some other SE's on the market this razor never fails to deliver.
My feelings also, today I used the super pro for the first time in it and it's even better.

You can buy it from Colonial Razors but they are out of stock for a couple more weeks. I think they are due to release the silver head only next. Brass and Stainless are coming later in the year...

Top Bottom