What's new

Colonial Razor

I just ordered a brass General. The Colonial site said it was "discontinued" but it took my order. I was getting out of the AC platform, and here I am.... just a sucker for a beautiful brass razor.

I think you will like it. And I think it will be a collectors item since there are not any other brass AC razors.

The black aluminum razor is worth $80. and is still a great bargain because of the black finish is quite special.

I have said it here before, that IMO the ATT SE and General shave very similar. For awhile I preferred the General aluminum head on a stainless steel handle. That combo felt very nice to me but lately I have been mostly using my brass General. It would be a coin toss for me.

Thanks for that. I guess it will come down to whether I want to wait a few months for the General to come back in stock or get instant gratification from ATT. I looked at the brass version, but the weight is way, way more than my average razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I guess it will come down to whether I want to wait a few months for the General to come back in stock or get instant gratification from ATT. I looked at the brass version, but the weight is way, way more than my average razors.

One thing I like about the alum ATT razor is the colored base plate. That looks cool.

I have the ATT R1 Calypso. It's definitely a cool looking razor, but I'm not sold on the aluminum construction. I'll probably sell it eventually. Or I have some bronze ATT base plates that I may try in the Calypso.

I have the ATT R1 Calypso. It's definitely a cool looking razor, but I'm not sold on the aluminum construction. I'll probably sell it eventually. Or I have some bronze ATT base plates that I may try in the Calypso.

That aluminum they use is a very good grade. As far as razors go, it's as good as steel. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

The black aluminum razor is worth $80. and is still a great bargain because of the black finish is quite special.

I have said it here before, that IMO the ATT SE and General shave very similar. For awhile I preferred the General aluminum head on a stainless steel handle. That combo felt very nice to me but lately I have been mostly using my brass General. It would be a coin toss for me.
I have to disagree here. For me, there is a huge difference between the General and the ATT SE1. The General is far preferable. They don't shave alike at all. It's not a small difference but a big one.

I also have the SE2. It was somewhat better, but it has been sleeping in it's box as well since getting the General. The General is smoother, yet even more efficient. It just flat out works.

Obviously, YMMV. But if someone is trying to decide on an SE and and considering between ATT and the General, my vote is overwhelmingly for the General.

I do very much like the ATT DE plates. And I have not tried their aluminum razors.

I have to disagree here. For me, there is a huge difference between the General and the ATT SE1. The General is far preferable. They don't shave alike at all. It's not a small difference but a big one.

I also have the SE2. It was somewhat better, but it has been sleeping in it's box as well since getting the General. The General is smoother, yet even more efficient. It just flat out works.
Obviously, YMMV.

This is very interesting. I cannot feel any difference between them.

D

Deleted member 48987

This is very interesting. I cannot feel any difference between them.

I think the general is significantly smoother and more forgiving. I think I've tried all the SE's out there and find it to be the best shaver overall.

Not to hi-jack this thread but does anyone else see a noticeable difference between the General and the ATT SE razors? To me they feel the same.

Not to hi-jack this thread but does anyone else see a noticeable difference between the General and the ATT SE razors? To me they feel the same.

The General feels smoother to me and just more natural, both the brass and aluminum versions, to the point that I'm considering getting rid of my SE1/SE2.

It is not a big difference and I will readily concede that it may exist entirely in my head.

--Bob

The General feels smoother to me and just more natural, both the brass and aluminum versions, to the point that I'm considering getting rid of my SE1/SE2.

It is not a big difference and I will readily concede that it may exist entirely in my head.
--Bob

Tonight I used my ATT which I have not used in awhile. It did seem not quite as smooth as the General. This is the first time I noticed that. But the blade I used, a Feather Pro, had 16 shaves on it. I will use it again next shave with a fresh blade and compare again.

Top Bottom