What's new

Collar Stays

I find that like cufflinks and watches, colar stays are things its better to have a few very nice versions of. I have some Ivory ones I found in an antique store in the UK, they have my Intials Inlaied in sliver "CR" I didn't have it done, but couldn't pass them up when I found them. I also have 2 brass sets with my intials engraved in them, and one silver set that was a birthday present from a close freind and Jewler, she had an inside joke engraved on them.

I will never lose any of those, espicly seeing as how I tend for thin, button down collars.

I use magnetic collar stays now. They are metal collar stays that come with two little round magnets that sit on the inside of the shirt to keep the collars down. I love them - especially when I wear a dress shirt with no tie and a blazer. I can adjust the way the collar sits and it prevents the collar from coming out of the blazer/ sweater and making you look like the flying nun :lol:
They are guaranteed not to go off in airport security and I can attest to that. The magnets are very strong as well so they do not fall off.
They are called wurkin stiffs and I ordered them online.

Got a set of different colors, made by Hackett in plastic, last Christmas. But before, made a few from expired credit cards, as somebody mentioned above...

Anyone have experience with brass stays and airport security? Do they set off the metal detector?

I have not worn my steel ones through the airport, but I have worn them many times through the metal detectors at various courthouses in the area. They have never set one off.

Nordstrom has brass collar stays that are brilliant, and cheaper than I've found for similar things online. Free plastic stays are too flimsy and not assured that your collar will stay.

I purchased both horn and bone collar stays from Kirby Allison and mother-of-pearl collar stays from Turnbull & Asser. For me these are private little extra touches that make getting dressed up even more fun and festive.

I have not checked recently, but Amazon had water buffalo horn stays for about $20 for four or five pair. Quality seems very good to me. I have bought a number of boxes.

Correction, they were mother of pearl and I cannot find them on Amazon anymore. Not as hard on collar tips as metal stays.

Last edited:
Top Bottom