What's new

Collar Stays

I too found the brass ones were a little harsh on the cotton; I like the plastic ones from Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom. They're nice and thick, and don't get bent or misshapen easily like the thin ones.

I picked up a tube of stainless steel ones from Amazon a week or so ago. So far I like them a lot. They came in 2.5" and 3" sizes. And I have had no problem with the metal detector at the courthouse when wearing them.

I too found the brass ones were a little harsh on the cotton; I like the plastic ones from Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom. They're nice and thick, and don't get bent or misshapen easily like the thin ones.

I tried brass stays again ande again found them way too hard on my collars!

+ 1. Even some of the really high end shirtmakers recommend plastic. Plain white plastic with no logo are best. If they have sharp edges on them, take a piece of fine grit sandpaper or a nail file and smooth them out. I bought my last box of stays off ebay. But I think the ones at Macys are also plain with no logo.

Be careful with the logo ones. The logo can rub off and stain your shirt, which is why I will never buy those again.

Nordstrom used to carry aluminum ones, they probably still do. They would definitely be easier on cotton shirts.

Nordstrom used to carry aluminum ones, they probably still do. They would definitely be easier on cotton shirts.

Mother of pearl and/or buffalo horn might be good, too, and I have seen both. Either would avoid the sharp edges and ends.

I think the overall problem, at least for me, was that if something is stressing my collar stays and bending them out of shape, I do not want to transfer whatever stress that is from the stays to your collar points. Plastic stays are cheap and basically hidden. Shirt collars: Not so cheap and not so hidden either.

As I think about it, I suppose there are some plastic stays that are really thin, cheap, and insubstantial, but aren't most subtantial enough to keep shirt collar points in good trim? And if something is bending up your shirt collars when you use decent plastic stays, is the remedy ever to get stronger stays that are going to transfer all of that stress to the points of your collars, even if you are careful not to have the problem of sharp edges and points on the stays themselves? I am not being intentionally critical. I am probably missing something.

Metal stays will put more wear and tear on the shirt, even if they are aluminum or whatever. Plastic stays should be thick enough to hold the collar points straight but not so thick that they aren't flexible. A decent box of plastic stays works fine and won't cause extra wear. Those super cheap ultra thin stays that come with shirts you get at department stores are usually crap. I know plastic isn't "cool" and it doesn't make you feel like a high roller but it works the best out of anything pretty much. Even Alex Kabbaz, who does custom shirts that start at something like $1K a pop uses plastic stays, I believe. To be fair, I believe he uses customized ones, not the garden variety ones most of us use. Still, you get my point.

Last edited:
If you weren't prone to losing them, I'd recommend the sterling silver stays sold by Trumpers (yes, that Trumpers), which come in a cute little leather wallet-like container. I think Penhaligons offers something similar.
For mother of pearl, check out the Kirby Allison hanger project website (very fine clothes hangers, too).

I toss the plastic ones and use brass ones from Jos A Bank or any other's. I just have to remember to take them out from the cleaners which isn't hard since I only have a few sets and have to rotate them like I do my soaps are razors.

Wifey bought me some custom chrome ones with quotes on them for Christmas one year from Red Envelope

Still wear them everyday!

I have a set of the brass stays from Jos. A Bank. I've used them in a few different brands of shirts over the course of a year now and none of them are showing any wear in the collar.

I do think the plastic ones that come with Brooks Brothers are probably good enough, I just had a problem forgetting about those light ones. I never forget to take the brass stays out.

W A R N I N G !
prepare yourself, you're about to read several stupid questions:

how do these work? what if my collars don't have the little holes on the underside?
(admittedly, i'm not big on dress shirts and ties, etc. but wear lots of casual dress shirts if that makes any sense whatsoever)
big finish: what is their function/benefit?

warned you, yet you read on.

i'm purposely not google-ing as i plain prefer learning from you gentlemen about such things if you wouldn't mind a line or two...

If they don't have removable stays, most dress shirts have plastic tab sewn in permanently.
If there isn't, you'll likely notice that the points of the collar twist and flop and never lie completely flat. Basically, your shirt will always look a bit untidy.

Removable stays are better because they don't get bent or broken in the wash, and if they do get messed up they can be easily replaced.

W A R N I N G !
prepare yourself, you're about to read several stupid questions:

how do these work? what if my collars don't have the little holes on the underside?
(admittedly, i'm not big on dress shirts and ties, etc. but wear lots of casual dress shirts if that makes any sense whatsoever)
big finish: what is their function/benefit?

warned you, yet you read on.

i'm purposely not google-ing as i plain prefer learning from you gentlemen about such things if you wouldn't mind a line or two...

proxy.php

Does this picture help? It is not so much a hole as a tight fitting slot that runs from near the collar band on a diagonal to the tip of the collar underneath it.

As noted the stay, or collar bone to use the Brit term, keeps the collar from curling under or out. As others have noted some collars have them permanently sewed in. But that means if the stay gets bent out of shape the collar is that way. Should not iron a collar with a stay in it. Cotton can take a higher temperature than can plastic.

Top Bottom