What's new

Col conk bay rum lasted only two weeks

Hi all, i just bought col conk bay rum and im already at the bottom is this normal?
30 sec swirl little water
Bowl lather
Nuked it to fit it in a new tub
Ami doing something wrong

You are using a lot more soap than most people do. I'd expect to use around 1-2 grams/shave. A standard Conk soap puck is 2.25 oz = 60 grams. That might last 30-60 shaves, some people get more than that.

You may not need to load as much soap, also try mixing in more water than you are using now in making the lather.

Im only loading for 30 seconds and i dont get much lather
You are using a lot more soap than most people do. I'd expect to use around 1-2 grams/shave. A standard Conk soap puck is 2.25 oz = 60 grams. That might last 30-60 shaves, some people get more than that.

You may not need to load as much soap, also try mixing in more water than you are using now in making the lather.
Im only loading for 30 seconds and i dont get much lather

I'm not sure what is going on. That brush should be a good match. Have you tried other soaps? Maybe you have hard water? If so, you can try distilled water from the store to lather with. Or treat your water with some citric acid as used in home canning of food.

Most melt and pour soaps like Col. Conk don't last as long as hard or triple milled soaps, but I've never had a Col Conk puck get used up in 2 weeks.

Actually with that synth ( i have it) you could load for 15secs instead and still have enough. Wet brush, remove excess water and try 15secs. Try with lot less water then you usually do and then on the next shave start with a bit more until you find the sweet spot. Too much water may be the reason why you need more soap but like Atlantic said it should last at least a month shaving daily.

Good luck. Btw if its the new bay rum formula how is the scent? Is it strong?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Allowing excess moisture to dry between shaves is important with soaps like this.

Nuking is something I avoid, it can sometimes change things.

I had a container of the travel soap, I got about 30 shaves out of it, and I think those are like 1oz or something, what your getting is about right unfortunately. Use it up and keep going!!!!

I have a puck of Williams right now with about 10 shaves or so on it, and it's really showing good usage and wear, what's odd to me about that is some people get like 300 shaves out of a puck of Williams, I'm here to tell you, that's not me and I'm not in that crowd. It's all about water quality, and the makeup of your water and the source.

Allowing excess moisture to dry between shaves is important with soaps like this.

Nuking is something I avoid, it can sometimes change things.
So dont us it daily...currently im trying to master the lather..more practice and no nuking...how would you fit it in a bowl if you dont nuke?

Actually with that synth ( i have it) you could load for 15secs instead and still have enough. Wet brush, remove excess water and try 15secs. Try with lot less water then you usually do and then on the next shave start with a bit more until you find the sweet spot. Too much water may be the reason why you need more soap but like Atlantic said it should last at least a month shaving daily.

Good luck. Btw if its the new bay rum formula how is the scent? Is it strong?
Scent is mild ...i can smell it on the puck but not on my face

What size was it? They have a regular and large. It still sounds pretty fast, especially with that brush but I have noticed that I can get it to go pretty fast when I use the RR F-400 brush that's for sure.

Top Bottom