What's new

Col conk bay rum lasted only two weeks

My experience: I use Col Conk Lime, mentholated, as a preshave.

I apply it directly to my face from a standard shave tube that holds a 2.25 oz puck perfectly. I then make a lather, usually with a boar brush. I wash off the first lather, then re-lather and wash off two more times, without needing to apply more soap.

Checking my shave journal, I have done that 60 times with my first tube of Conk Lime. I still have perhaps 20% left in that tube.

I apply it directly to my face from a standard shave tube that holds a 2.25 oz puck perfectly. I then make a lather, usually with a boar brush. I wash off the first lather, then re-lather and wash off two more times, without needing to apply more soap.

Checking my shave journal, I have done that 60 times with my first tube of Conk Lime. I still have perhaps 20% left in that tube.
Awesome...how do i start a shave journal...

Did you melt it to get it in a tube

been using it daily for like 2 weeks....I have the smaller tub. There is easily well over 3/4 of the tub and I load for like 40-60 seconds. Are you using the old tub or the new tub?

You have many options
- You can use any notebook to record them in or they have specific ones like @APBinNCA posted. I started with a pack from the dollar store
- There is an app called Shave Buddy you can use, which I’ve been using and works pretty good. You input your inventory then after your shave select your gear for each shave, add notes and a SOTD picture. The free version limits your inventory per category but they have a paid version that is a few bucks where they don’t have a limit on inventory. I can probably count the members on B&B that can get away with the free version on one hand
- You can do spreadsheets or something similar on your computer
- On B&B, under General Discussion, they have the Diaries and Journals sub forum where you can start your own shave diary / journey

Mine is just a spreadsheet on my tablet. Date, razor(s), blade(s), soap(s), rating, comment.

Did you melt it to get it in a tube

I melt it in a microwave, a few seconds at a time, in order to melt the Conk, but heat it up just the minimum required.

Pro tip: refrigerate the tube and pour the lukewarm melted soap in slowly, so hot soap doesn't slip past the bottom disc of the shave tube.

I think ibhave a heavy hand so

More water less lather load
Lighter hand when loading

More patience

Last edited:
Actually with that synth ( i have it) you could load for 15secs instead and still have enough. Wet brush, remove excess water and try 15secs. Try with lot less water then you usually do and then on the next shave start with a bit more until you find the sweet spot. Too much water may be the reason why you need more soap but like Atlantic said it should last at least a month shaving daily.

Good luck. Btw if its the new bay rum formula how is the scent? Is it strong?
I did 15 seconds and more water and got a ton of lather...i think i was loading to much and not patient when building my lather...i did find it very airy more testing to be considered

so quick thoughts I like the fact the scents are not so in your face like some of the other soaps
compared to say Stirling its very mellow :)

tried the lime today
have to play around it did seem to dry out on my lower neck (problem area) after a pass and prefer a bit more but am going to chalk that up to user error and getting use to it :)
post shave was very nice on my sensitive skin
I am going to try as I read somewhere rubbing it direct as a pre shave kinda thing to other soaps for fun

bottom line I like the fact I got 4 scents for under $15 on the big A store

badger brush quick shake out about 15 sec rub down and lather in bowl and then a quick splash of water for second round to see the difference and a touch more for 3rd pass

so quick thoughts I like the fact the scents are not so in your face like some of the other soaps
compared to say Stirling its very mellow :)

tried the lime today
have to play around it did seem to dry out on my lower neck (problem area) after a pass and prefer a bit more but am going to chalk that up to user error and getting use to it :)
post shave was very nice on my sensitive skin
I am going to try as I read somewhere rubbing it direct as a pre shave kinda thing to other soaps for fun

bottom line I like the fact I got 4 scents for under $15 on the big A store

badger brush quick shake out about 15 sec rub down and lather in bowl and then a quick splash of water for second round to see the difference and a touch more for 3rd pass
Yes i have add more water between passes good idea

Top Bottom