What's new

Coffee Roasting 8-2-22

The bean roasted was a Peru El Diamante Roger Chilcon from Sweet Maria's. I was going for a Full City to Full City+ type roast. For the first batch of four ounces of beans, the first crack occurred around 3'10" into the process. I continued to 5'30-5'45". There was no smoke or just the first trace of smoke in emptying the beans. No oil on the surface of the beans after roasting. For the second round, the first crack occurred at around 3'40". Can't really account for the time difference as it was four ounces as well, and I had preheated the popper the same way before introducing the beans. As the first crack was delayed I went to 5'45" to 6'00" for the overall roast. Again, no smoke or just the first trace of smoke in emptying the beans. No oil on the surface of the beans here either.

All in all, I'm happy with the results, but maybe I should of reigned things in 15 seconds sooner on the second batch as they were just a hair darker than the first. Or, maybe only going to 5'15"-5'30" for the overall roast in both cases.

Coffee-Roasting-8-2-22-(PS-web-low-1-of-2).jpg
Coffee-Roasting-8-2-22-(PS-web-low-2-of-2).jpg

Maybe you could get a cheap temperature probe so you can just stop when it hits a certain temperature? It doesn't matter where the sensor is reading, just that it's consistent. Say if you hit 440 on the first one and you have the process dialled in, you can just roast to the same temp on every subsequent roast.

Thanks for your comments. Not sure why my first paragraph was cut; it pertained to the photographs as included and the popcorn popper which had been gifted to me by a generous member of B&B and the use of an oil lamp's chimney. As for using a cheap temperature probe, I'm not sure that it would be viable as I am frequently, almost constantly, stirring the beans in the popper with the handle of a long wooden salad spoon. Perhaps the thermometer might get in the way there? If that's the case, then that leaves sight, sound, and time as to the control here as I'm happy with staying with this limited set-up for the time being.

Top Bottom