What's new

Easy way to roast coffee that anyone can do

This is another of my long winded posts covering the mysterious world of coffee.

How to roast fresh coffee without hardly trying.

Frying pan coffee roasting is probably one of the simpler ways to roast coffee. It is also the one that requires all of your attention. Everyone should know how to roast coffee this way. If you are away from home all you need is a stove and a pan to roast anywhere.

Find and use a pan that is not your favorite. You want a pan that covers your largest burner (not too big or too small). My first choice is a 12" black steel (not iron) frying pan. You can pick up a 12" stainless pan for a few dollars at your local thrift store. You will be working at temperatures between 400 and 500 degrees so use something that can take the heat. NOTHING coated, raw metal only.

If you use a cast iron skillet, pre-heat it in your oven to 450° before starting to avoid warping.

What you need:
  1. Electric or gas burner stove
  2. Pan
  3. Oven mitts.
  4. Stirring device (long handle bar drinks stirring spoon or long handle commercial spoon),
  5. Metal colander.
  6. A tight fitting lid for your pan (for emergency only)
Optional
  1. A direct read thermometer
  2. Fan to cool the beans
  3. Clock or timer

Frying Pan Roasting
  1. Arrange all of your equipment so that it within easy reach. You don't want to be distracted during the roast.
  2. Turn the exhaust fan over your stove to high. You can roast outside or with the windows open if you want
  3. Measure out your coffee beans. You want enough in the pan so that it is easy to stir them and they keep in contact with the pan bottom. Start with 1/2 - 2/3 of a cup and adjust accord to your pan size.
  4. Preheat your pan over medium high heat (the exact temperature setting will depend on your stove) you want the pan nice and hot, about 450F. This is where a direct read thermometer comes in handy.
  5. Pour the beans into the hot pan and start stirring. You’ll want to keep the beans moving, but you don’t need to be too aggressive, you are roasting coffee, not making a meringue
  6. Over the time of the roast you will see the beans steadily change color from green to yellow. This is the drying phase. Then golden brown to light brown. This is the Maillard stage. Then from light brown to dark brown which is the roasting stage. You may need to adjust your heat level to maintain an even progression.
  7. Around 7-8 minutes the beans will turn from light brown to darker brown, you will hear the “First Crack”. Coffee is drinkable from this stage on and it’s up to you to determine when it’s done. Keep in mind that you’ll need to dump the beans a shade or two lighter than where you want to end up. The beans will continue to cook a little during the cooling process unless you place them over a fan.
  8. After the first crack ends the beans will continue to darken, as they change from a light brown to a dark brown you’ll hear the “Second Crack”. Second crack will be faster and quieter. Second crack is dark roast. End of second crack is espresso. Be careful at 2nd crack as from this point on you are racing towards charcoal.
  9. When you feel the bears are at the point you want, pour the beans into your metal colander and continue to stir until they are cool. While you are cooling the beans, most of the chaff that came off during the roasting process will fall through the holes of the colander, so you’ll want to do this outside, in the sink, or over some sort of trash receptacle.
  10. Once cool, allow the coffee to off-gas for at least 12 hours or overnight, then store in an airtight container. Stored properly, the coffee will be fresh for 7-10 days.
You want to keep your total roasting time between 9 and 14 minutes, spending equal amounts of time at each stage. You do this by raising and lowering the stove burner.

Don't be afraid. It will take a few roasts to get coffee you truly enjoy drinking but it is worth every second of the time invested.

Besides.... Jusy like wet shaving.... it will save you money.:cuppa: Very good quality green coffee can be bought from $3.50 and up per pound

Just so you know. I enjoy coffee roasted to the middle of first crack. This is known as a "city" roast. The darker you take your roast, the more skill is required to end up with coffee instead of a fire in your pan.

IMPORTANT: Keep a proper fitting lid handy to smother any fire

Last edited:
roflmao

Besides.... Just like wet shaving.... it will save you money.:cuppa: Very good quality green coffee can be bought from $3.50 and up per pound

another rabbit hole, but seriousely it not that hard, and yes great beans can be sourced for a lot less that the stale beans you buy in the store, or half the price you buy from specialty coffee retailers

Besides.... Just like wet shaving.... it will save you money.:cuppa:

I used this excuse with the SWMBO... I am grateful she doesn't review the books. After roasting and drinking hundreds of pounds of beans (records are intentionally vague... but I am well north of 500lb of beans roasted) I might be getting to the stage where the LaMarzocco and 2kg drum roaster are finally getting close to being fully amortized.

:cuppa:

Top Bottom