What's new

Coffee Humidor -Are they effective?

I recently received a coffee humidor as a gift and was wondering if this will keep my beans fresh. As far as I can tell there is no way to add a humidifying solution but the container does lock down tight. Up until this point I simply put my bag of beans in the refrigerator. Is the humidor a better way to store the beans?

If you value keeping the bean at their prime - yes. If you're buying store bought beans, maybe not so much since they've had such a long time on the shelf. The best route is to either get them fresh roasted or roast your own.

Huh? Are we talking roasted beans? Waste of time. Green beans - maybe some usefulness. More info, please.

I was talking about roasted beans. I usually order a couple pounds from Duncan Coffee Company and had been simply storing the bags of beans in the fridge. With the humidor, I would be storing them at room temperature. Duncan roasts the beans and puts them in the bag hot with a special valve to let out gases (or so I have been told). The beans are definitely fresh when they arrive.

My question is will the humidor keep the beans fresh longer than the fridge.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this before. Do you have a link to this product? I wonder if you kept beans at a controlled humidity if that would cut down on static effects when grinding.

Most folks believe that if you are buying beans to enjoy now that you should keep them in an airtight preferably glass container at room temperature but if you are storing beans unopened to have in a week or more time that it may be benefitial to store them in a refrigerator.

Any bean that you buy from the supermarket or Dunkin Doughnuts in this case is certainly NOT fresh. Coffee is truly fresh for about 10-14 days after it is roasted no matter how it is stored.

The coffee was from Duncan Coffee company and not Dunkin Coffee...I was having a moment there when typing.:redface: Duncan Coffee company is a small company in Texas that roasts their beans in small batches.

I will see if I can find a link to the coffee humidor. It was a gift and I am unsure where it was purchased.

Snake Oil. Airtight is certainly a good thing, but once beans are roasted, it is downhill from there. Regardless you should keep them at room temperature.

A $1 mason jar will do as good a job....

Snake Oil. Airtight is certainly a good thing, but once beans are roasted, it is downhill from there. Regardless you should keep them at room temperature.

A $1 mason jar will do as good a job....

That is good to know. Well...at least it looks cool.:biggrin: So...room temperature is better than the refrigerator? That is also good to know.

Thank you for the information.

The coffee was from Duncan Coffee company and not Dunkin Coffee...I was having a moment there when typing.:redface: Duncan Coffee company is a small company in Texas that roasts their beans in small batches.

I will see if I can find a link to the coffee humidor. It was a gift and I am unsure where it was purchased.

They also have www.texascoffee.com, which I am patiently waiting for to pair with tx-coffee.com. :glare:

Humidor is for cigars. Moisture is one of roasted coffee's enemies (and why the refrigerator is not a good storage option for them).

Scotto's got the right idea.

I've always heard that the fridge is one of the worst places to keep beans. Every time you take the container out of the fridge, fresh air gets in, and when it goes back into the fridge the humidity from the air condenses on the beans, actually speeding up staleness.

I've always heard that the fridge is one of the worst places to keep beans. Every time you take the container out of the fridge, fresh air gets in, and when it goes back into the fridge the humidity from the air condenses on the beans, actually speeding up staleness.

truth

Top Bottom