What's new

Coffee Brewing Methods - Notes of a Homeroaster

One of the things that most delights me is when I find something so simple and inexpensive that is superior to its overpriced, overhyped competitors. This happens sometimes in shaving (Proraso, KMF, Col Conk, etc.) but also in coffee. The filter cone is one of these.

While I love my French Press, I don't use it for every day consumption. In the morning before work, I want a quick, simple, clean (and of course, great tasting) cup. For a while I thought the Aeropress was the solution, but that has fallen out of favor with me. You'll have to wait until the next installment of this thread to hear the details on that, however. :rolleyes:

The filter cone is simplicity itself. You can take a look at some of them here, but you'll have to scroll down a bit to the filtercone holder pictures. It is simply a plastic or porcelain filter holder that sits over your mug or other receptacle. I paid less than 10 bucks for the filter cone and a box of quality paper filters, and this arrangement blows the doors off drip coffee makers costing 10X as much. Why is this?

There are two problems with automatic drip brewers that doom them to mediocrity. First, 99% of them cannot get the water to a high enough temperature (~200F) for correct extraction. There are a couple that will, but they tend to be very expensive. Second, the drip brewers generally do a lousy job of evenly saturating the coffee grounds. Both these issues are trivially eliminated by manually pouring over the filter. Here is how it works:

Stick the filter holder over your mug and put a paper filter in there. I use the Filtropa brand, which are much sturdier than the lousy Melitta ones you will find in the store. Give the paper filter in the holder a good rinse with hot water to get any papery taste out. Add in your ground coffee (I use one standard scoop of beans per 4 ounces of water, but you'll have to experiment). You want the whole extraction to take 3-4 minutes, so the fineness of the grind will be a variable. Once your water is the right temperature (I let it come to a bare boil, then remove from the heat while I grind the beans), evenly saturate the grounds with water, then stop while it filters through. Once that is done, continue to add the rest of the water such that the grounds stay submerged until the end. That's it - just discard the filter and grounds and enjoy the cup. You can play with stirring as well, but I don't think it makes much difference.

The result is a very clean cup (from the paper filter) that really lets the varietal character of the bean show through. It really does a wonderful job at producing an excellent cup, and I can highly recommend it. The only downside is you have to stand there over it for a few minutes, but this is a small price to pay. This arrangement would work very well for travel also.

Scotto, have you tried a Technivorm? While I love the simplicity of the filter cone, it's quite a chore when you need to make coffee for a large group of people. The Technivorm is on my list to get soon, as I've become very dissatisified with my current drip machine.

Scotto, have you tried a Technivorm? While I love the simplicity of the filter cone, it's quite a chore when you need to make coffee for a large group of people. The Technivorm is on my list to get soon, as I've become very dissatisified with my current drip machine.

I have been eyeing a Technivorm as well. I would love to know your thoughts.

My hobby: I'm a taster for a coffee company. Really!!!

My coffee: French Press, because properly made, it really brings out all the subtleties and nuances of the coffee. That's the advantage of unfiltered coffee. And it's the cheapest coffee maker you can get. Yes, you do need a good grinder (when speaking of grinder, think burrs, not the small 2 bladed electric things, known as "choppers" in the trade. ) A good, affordable grinder is the Maestro Virtuoso, which can handle anything from French press to espresso. Price: around $200.

Characteristics of a good grinder: even grind, at whatever degree of fineness/coarseness you select. Important for French Press, critical for espresso.

My espresso machine: Olympia-Cremina. (old-fashioned, pump handle, and therefore total control by the operator,) The company allocates 160 units a year to the U.S., sells only through one outfit, and they're usually gobbled up by mid-February. If you can get your hands on one, they retail for $3495. (and yes, the decimal point is at the end.) Even if you don't go for this level, you do need to be prepared to shell out some bucks for a good espresso machine. Best inexpensive machine: Rancilio Silvia, around $550-600. Be prepared to spend almost as much for a good grinder.

DJ speaks highly of the Technivorm, which is why it's on my list. Jim has one as well, and I think he likes it.

That is where I got my info as well. I need something for making more than a couple cups at a time and was looking in that direction.

I am a committed Technivorm advocate having owned one for over a year now. I can't say enough good about it and it is my personal Holy Grail for a machine. Mine gets used 2 or 3 times a day and the consistency is amazing.

-Scott

I haven't tried the Technivorm brewer, but they get rave reviews by most coffee aficionados. Unfortunately, they are a couple of hundred dollars. Since only my wife and I drink coffee, a $10 pour-over solution is much more palatable to me. As always, YMMV.

PS I would rather spend the couple of hundred bucks on more coffee beans....:biggrin:

It figures that my first post on a shaving forum relates to coffee brewing...

I have been a small scale homeroaster for quite some time and I have some experience with quite a variety of brew methods (including some very expensive, very nice professional espresso extractors that used to grace the counters of a certain ubiquitous Seattle chain). During my undergraduate tenure my method of choice was a little Yama vacuum brewer, and someday I will go into detail about the pros/cons of that beauty.

Today, however, someone has mentioned the venerable Technivorm drip brewers, which are (if I remember correctly) the only drips certified by the SCAA. What that means, I believe, is that someone took the time to ensure that this particular machine generates and maintains acceptable brew temperature (I believe >195 F though I'm citing nothing but a vague memory) throughout the extraction process. In that sense these things should have better extraction than your typical Bodum Chambord 8-Tasse FP brewer, which I find cools by roughly 10 degrees over a 4 minute extraction cycle.

As far as I can tell, these brewers have a fairly simple setup for delivering hot water over the grounds: a single tube that dribbles water over the middle of the filter. For comparison the crappy Mr. Coffee my parents loaned me when I first moved out of their house had a plastic shower head that delivered water through 12 holes spread in a circular pattern arround the filter basket. Good espresso machines have a heavy mesh screen that spreads water evenly over the entire surface area of the grounds. As hot water distribution always seems to be a hot topic when reviewing drip brewers I have wonder about the Technivorm design. If anyone owns one of these machines please don't hesitate to educate me regarding the true nature of the beast, as I have only experienced them on the internet.

-Leland

Scotto:

When you use the Rancilio Rocky burr grinder what setting do you use for a "French Press" grind?

Chris

The Rocky scale is just taped on, so I am sure each of them differs. For reference, if drip is a "25" on my machine, French Press is a "45". Espresso would be near zero, but for that I have a different grinder (Mazzer Mini).

There is some play in the burr carrier of Rocky also that can lead to a bit more uneven grind (though still light-years better than most grinders). I have a few winds of teflon tape around the burr carrier's threads to alleviate that.

I brew coffee like a science experiment. I boil water (4 cups = 32 oz.) and take its temperature after it boils. I grind about 4 scoops of beans (2 tbps/scoop). Into the FP go the grinds, water on top (when it drops to 195 - 200 or depending on the latest info) and I stir with a wooden chopstick. Stir again at 2 mins. Once more at the 4 min. mark and press. I pour the results into a Melita cone that contains a Swiss Gold filter and that sits on a Melita pot. This reduces sediment. (I grind at two notches under the FP setting. I vary this setting at times.) Paper filters are said to suck out some flavor (oils) but it removes sediment best. I get about 32 oz. of coffee.

Not sure whether all the stirring is necessary and I don't leave the top on the FP while it brews. It's a pain with all the stirring and sometimes it tilts into the brew.

I almost bought a Technivorm but thought damn I can take a temperature and boil water for a lot cheaper.

Someone asked about local grinders. Definitely Google it. I've found some fantastic local grinders and one is 15 min. away! I'm in Mass. so I'm also not far from Terrior (George Howell) and have been on their tour. It was extremely interesting (talk about coffee science!) and if you are near Acton MA check out when the next tour is. Usually a Saturday once a month. It's free and a fun experience for any level of coffee person.

Oh, and IMHO a burr grinder was by far the biggest improvement of anything coffee related. If you are using a blade grinder or pre-ground fork over the money for a good burr grinder.

Next stop for me is an ibrik and/or vacuum pot.

John

I bought my Technivorm @ Terrior one day when I was in their cupping room drinking everything they offered. There are numerous ways to do almost anything and the subjective nature of things will determine what works best for you. Once you find something you are happy with, enjoy it to the best of your ability. If you ever have a chance to visit their facility, I recommend it....George Howell is a legend in the coffee business and a nice guy.

(The Technivorm comes standard with a 9 hole bar that sprays the hot water across the grounds as opposed to dripping only in the center of the filter)

-Scott

On the road, it's a Zassenhaus grinder, home roasted beans, and a pour-over that fits onto my thermos. This way I can have a couple of mugs of good coffee once I arrive at the job site du jour. Drip at home means the Capresso 461, which over extracts a bit due to the 210°F water. It's still pretty good, and I'm a bit lazy at home. :rolleyes:

Wayne, espresso by choice - drip if I have to

Wow. You dudes are "way" into coffee. My experience? It all tastes like burnt beans. You need a reall hobby. Like shaving, or something...:smile:

Randy (who has had great compliments with the Aeropress!)

I just want to say thanks for a great thread, Scotto! Good stuff.

I can't wait to hear your take on vac. brewing (my personal favorite second to espresso).

BTW - if anyone has a contact to get a Hario brewer in the U.S., PLEASE let me know!!:w00t:

First cup in the morning is almost always instant. Sorry, but I'm a caffeine junky.

Later in the day I may brew some coffee in a French press. I also have a vacuum pot but honestly vacuum pots are only good in that they get more of the grounds out of your coffee, otherwise they are a cool demonstration of air pressure and little else. I also sometimes skip the instant and make a whole pot in an electric coffee maker. I used to love my Mr. Coffee but it got old and being made in China, they changed the model on me and I hate the newer one (the old one you could detach the water and fill it at the sink). Maybe a Bunn is in my future.

Actually I have wanted an old-time percolator. I know they don't make great coffee, but just for kicks it would be cool. I do have a Mocha pot but that isn't quite the same.

I also am a tea junkie (except first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, it doesn't seem to agree with me at all) particularly green or oolong tea, but that's another subject. I have roasted my own coffee at home, my favorite coffees are Colombian, Costa Rican. Occasionally I like Indonesian coffees that are earthy. My favorite roastings are light medium roasts. I've also got a really nice conical burr grinder. Nothing too elaborate but it also grinds good espresso grinds, and I also have a 20 dollar DeLonghi espresso machine I bought off eBay and fixed up. It has a true pressurized resevoir, milk frother, etc. But it needs soft/distilled water.

DJ speaks highly of the Technivorm, which is why it's on my list. Jim has one as well, and I think he likes it.

Yes DJ pointed me in that direction in December and it was a revelation.
Its the Chubby of the Drip pot world.

Top Bottom