What's new

Coffee Brewing Methods - Notes of a Homeroaster

Hi there, folks. I haven't had much chance lately to exercise my literary skills, but since there seems to be such interest in coffee here, I thought I would scribble down some thoughts about coffee brewing methods.

As a homeroaster, there is nothing more infuriating than roasting up a microlot of exotic coffee to perfection and then having it be ruined by the extraction/brewing process. Alas, this is not that uncommon a problem. I have spent a lot of time over the past few months poking into this problem. Today I'll speak a bit about French Presses. Tomorrow I will cover pour-over (filter cone) brewing, and I'll have some thoughts on the Aeropress and vacuum brewing as a comparison next week.

First a disclaimer of sorts. There are a lot of brewing methods that produce adequate coffee. What I am looking for, however, is the process that brings the best of the bean out: the sweetness, varietal character, and acidity of the coffee. I freely admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, so take my thoughts with that in mind. Also, I am not talking about espresso, an equally weighty and noble topic that I am happy to expound upon in a separate thread.

The French Press
To me, it is hard to get a better cup than by using a French Press, though it is not personally something I want every day. I am sure you are familiar with these devices; they are simplicity itself. Coffee is ground into a glass container, left to steep, and then a plunger with a metal screen is used to push the grounds to the bottom of the container. The coffee is poured from the top. There are many models; I have a classic Chambord style, but there are lots of choices.

With the FP, it is trivial to get the coffee to the proper brewing temperature (~200F). I put the ground coffee into the pre-warmed vessel, and add water just off the boil. After 1 minute I "break the crust" on top and give a quick stir. 3 more minutes of steeping (4 minutes total) and you can plunge and serve. Do not leave the coffee in the press or it will continue to extract and get nasty very quickly.

I find the flavors of this brewing method pristine. There is something about the fairly coarse grind and 4 minute extraction that pulls all of the sweetness of the coffee out, and the varietal character shines through. This method is the benchmark for me to decide whether I like a bean type and roast, and will be the first method I use after a new roast. The drawback? It is hard to get a great cup unless you have a quality burr grinder. Unless your grind is extremely consistent, you will get lots of sludge in your cup, and the coffee will be very muddy and overextracted. I have a Rancilio Rocky for this purpose that works very well. There is nary a bit of crud in the bottom of the cup after I am done. In the past when I had a cheaper grinder, I never enjoyed French Press brewing. With the right grinder, however, it is a revelation. If you like a strong cup and have the equipment to take advantage of it, it is hard to beat.

Tomorrow: Filter cone, pour over brewing. Can such a cheap method produce great coffee?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is a long overdue treatise on the subject.

I used a FP for over twenty years, poo-pooing any other process. Still, I've never been quite satisfied with the results, due to my lack of a quality grinder. The FP needs a coarse grind, but that doesn't mean a quick run through a cheap blade grinder (surprisingly, my Aeropress yields excellent results with my pathetic grinding setup, and has virtually replaced my Chambord).

For the extraction of every last bit of goodness, a FP has to be considered as one of the very best ways to go.

For brewing a pot of coffee, I've always been fascinated by the vacuum pots, something I hope gets covered in this series.

I recently got a Yama vacuum pot which I have been testing out. I plan on reviewing it as well once I get some more practice.

The FP is a funny beast for the reasons you mention. It can either be fantastic or disgusting depending on your grinder. There are some other intriguing options out there, which I will expand upon. As for the Aero, its stock has declined greatly with me, but you'll have to wait for that also. :wink:

I guess it shows just how much impact the grinder has to do with the outcome. This should be a very interesting thread.

OK, you guys have convinced me to start homebrewing when I get back to school. Is there anyplace where you could buy raw beans locally or will it all be online?

I have been brewing my coffee for the past few years with a Hario vacuum pot. It makes terrific coffee, but unfortunately the Harios are not easy to locate these days (the American distributor shut down some time ago, although there's a vendor in Canada you can still buy from). I highly recommend vacuum brewing, and there are certainly other vac pots out there besides Hario that you can use. French presses are also a great choice and are easy to use.
I've also started roasting my own beans. While I initially thought this was an undertaking best left to true devotees and those with way too much time on their hands, it turns out it's not so complicated after all. I purchased a Fresh Roast roaster for under $100. It only takes a couple of minutes to roast up a batch of beans, and the best part is that green ( or unroasted) beans go for about half the price of what you pay at Starbucks or your local barista. I get my beans and other supplies from a company called Sweet Marias (sweetmarias.com) and have always been happy with their service. Of course there are any number of places that sell beans if you check the internet.

Now, to the uninitiated all this may sound like it's a bit overboard. However, once you experience a really good cup of java made from good, freshly roasted beans that have been brewed correctly (no percolators, please!) your life may never be the same...

I have a large Bodum French Press and LOVE IT!

IMO, it's the DE of coffee making methods. Classic, simple, and efficient.

I place the grounds in the press, add boiling water from the teapot, and stir it with a wooden spoon. Place the cover/press on the vessel and let it brew for 4 minutes. When it's time, press and enjoy.

I haven't ventured into home roasting, yet.

Grrr...I'm almost considering not drinking coffee anymore. I have a Senseo and I've decided it's pretty much worthless and really expensive. I like coffee in the morning, but I want more than 6oz! And I hate being limited to 5 different blends of less than fresh coffee. Not to mention, 12 coffee pods cost $5, it's hardly cheaper than Starbucks and the quality is nothing like what they claim. It's ok, but not great, and not noticeably better than a drip. Can anyone recommend a good drip maker for under say...$50? I'd grab an Aeropress but I'm back to 1 cup again. I'd rather just fill the tank, add the coffee and get like 4 cups to fill my travel mug and be done. Can I get good coffee this way or am I doomed?

(Sorry to sort of hijack the thread!)

Thanks for the great post Scotto, As usual your unique take on this is extremely interesting and I look forward to the rest of the series!

:badger:

Your thoughts have been missed. Great subject to return with I might add. I think I am going to go pull myself a shot to sip while I reread the thread.

-Scott

Great post!

I use either a 12 tasse Chambord (drink one cup hot and keep the rest for iced coffee) or a Moka Pot (aka stovetop expresso) with coffee ground from a zassenhaus coffee mill.

The burr mills make all of the difference when using a FP so if you tried a FP without a burr mill, get a new grinder/mill and take another look!

Well written Scotto.

Unfortunately, the FP has taken a back seat to my Gaggia Classic / MDF setup but it still gets used occasionally.

I tell people that crappy coffee beans made properly in a French Press is better than top-of-the-line coffee beans in ANY drip maker (that I've ever used).

One note though, I don't preheat the carafe any more. have you ever tried not heating it?

One note though, I don't preheat the carafe any more. have you ever tried not heating it?
This is a fascinating subject in and of itself. Most people drink coffee too hot, and the flavors really suffer. It needs to cool down from brewing temperature quite a bit to appreciate its sweetness and acidity. What I have been doing lately is to preheat the brewing vessel (in order to keep the extraction temperature as stable as possible), but not preheating my mug that the coffee gets poured into. This way the coffee isn't so super hot that the taste suffers, but is still pleasantly hot. As an aside, this is one mark of great coffee - it tastes as good or better at slightly above room temperature as it does lip-burningly hot.

With the FP, it is trivial to get the coffee to the proper brewing temperature (~200F). I put the ground coffee into the pre-warmed vessel, and add water just off the boil. After 1 minute I "break the crust" on top and give a quick stir. 3 more minutes of steeping (4 minutes total) and you can plunge and serve. Do not leave the coffee in the press or it will continue to extract and get nasty very quickly.

So, the press/lid is not on the vessel during the four minutes?

Also, do you decant the beverage after the plunge?

Sorry, I don't completely understand these points. I love my French press coffee, but I would like to get all the details right.

Thanks,
Tim

So, the press/lid is not on the vessel during the four minutes?

Also, do you decant the beverage after the plunge?

Sorry, I don't completely understand these points. I love my French press coffee, but I would like to get all the details right.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim, sorry it wasn't clear. Whilst the coffee is brewing up its juicy goodness, the plunger/lid is on top to retain heat, but the plunger is pulled up, outside of the liquid. Post-plunge, you must decant the coffee or it will continue to extract. Typically I make just enough to pour into my service mug(s), but you can decant it into another vessel (mayhaps something insulated, even) to get it off the grounds.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you. But I need one more little clarification, please. If the lid is on, how do you "break the crust and stir" it after one minute? After I get this little detail, I should be able to make perfect coffee, too. :wink:

Tim

As a lover of good coffee I thank you, Scotto, for a very well-written post. I have been roasting and brewing coffee for over two years and I love my Bodum Chambord 2-cup French Press. Makes just enough for a heaping mug to enjoy myself or two civilized cups for my wife and I to enjoy together. Question...you say you get "nary a bit of crud" but I get somewhat more silt than that. I use a Solis Maestro Plus conical burr grinder. Any suggestions on crud-reduction?

Tim - unless you are Plastic Man, you'll need to remove the top for a moment in order to stir, then replace it.

As for crud reduction, there is not much you can do but get a better grinder. With Rocky, there is one small sip at the end which has silt - it is very minor. With other grinders it will vary greatly. They do sell nylon filter screens that fit over the standard metal mesh of the plunger, which may help, but I have never tried it.

A word on the "crust": with very fresh coffee, you will get an enormous liberation of carbon dioxide when hot water hits the grounds. This will balloon up into a big mass of floating grounds at the top, which will prevent good mixing of the water and coffee- thus the stir. With coffee that is not fresh, this won't be an issue. When professional coffee cuppers do their job, they stick their noses right against the crust and push it down with a wide spoon. The burst of aroma that flies forth when the crust is broken is something to experience.

Top Bottom