What's new

Close cousins - spot the difference?

I just won a British Aristocrat Junior from @Hannah's Dad in the fundraiser. Having shaved with it several times now I find that for me it has very much the same shave experience and performance as my Gillette Ranger from the same era. The knurling on the Ranger is just a bit more prominent and gives a measurably more secure grip. The Ranger was only made for a few months at the end of 1941, before the Pearl Harbor. My British Aristocrat Junior was made after the war, about 1950 from what I read.

Ranger on the left, British Aristocrat Junior on the right:

IMG_9536.jpeg

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9539.jpeg

It could be my imagination, but the head of the UK Aristocrat Jr. seem a tiny bit heavier than the Ranger, moving the balance point slightly close to the head. The result for me is that Jr. gives me just a bit more comfortable shave with the same blade.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I get the reference too!

Anyways, the Ranger Tech was also made in 1946 after the war for a small period of time, but had the side covers. It quickly evolved into the Super Speed in 1947. Both of those, the Ranger Tech, and the Junior, are great razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
And if you throw Samwise Gamgee in the mix, you can draw the younger crowd into the conversation! He kinda looks like his mom, doesnt he? :)

Top Bottom