What's new

cleaning with vinegar?

Was it ok to allow my mother to clean my recently aquired 1966 ss flaretip using hot water and vinegar on a paper towel? It looks shinier on the doors, inside, and on baseplate. The doors look like they even close tighter. If you watch from the side as they close you see the them close flush with the center piece then move away and flatten out. before they were just flush with center piece. The center piece even looks like its moving up and down with the doors opening and closing. I don't think it did that before. The tto knob feels like its running smoother as well.

Vinegar is OK for cleaning due to it's slight acidity. Do NOT soak for extended period of time in vinegar as that can be bad for razors. If you use it, be sure to wash off completely. You could even follow with a little baking soda dissolved in water (a base) to counteract the acid in the vinegar.

Was it ok to allow my mother to clean my recently aquired 1966 ss flaretip using hot water and vinegar on a paper towel? It looks shinier on the doors, inside, and on baseplate. The doors look like they even close tighter. If you watch from the side as they close you see the them close flush with the center piece then move away and flatten out. before they were just flush with center piece. The center piece even looks like its moving up and down with the doors opening and closing. I don't think it did that before. The tto knob feels like its running smoother as well.

Well, it certainly helped the razor as far as mechanics and appearance go. I think you'll find that a lot of people do not recommend using vinegar on nickel plated razors. I firmly disagree however, I have put multiple nickel plated razor parts in a fairly concentrated solution of water and vinegar and there was no ill effect.

The only thing with vinegar is that it will turn any exposed brass "base metal" pink. If your mother diluted it enough, there isn't much to worry about. I wouldn't recommend repetitive cleaning with vinegar however as it is acidic.

At any rate, it sounds like the razor improved!

I just put my all metal ones in the dishwasher. The razors that have plastic components or just have plastic on them I will use scalding hot water and antibacterial soap. I leave them there to soak for one hour. Then I go use cotton swabs to clean out the nooks and crannies. I also use some valve oil on the inner working to make them work smoother.

The center piece is supposed to do that, so everything is all in order. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Vinegar has lots of uses but use diluted and don't soak razors long. I have a very dull Slim because I didn't know this. Now I just soak in hot water and dish soap, then scrub lightly with a soft toothbrush, rinse well, dry and buff. Once a year a little Maas metal polish.

It was just a few drops at a time from the vinegar bottle onto the wet paper towel. Very diluted I say. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. I apologize for the double thread.

A little diluted vinegar is ok for the acid. Don't let your razor soak in vinegar. It will be hard on the finish.

I always found that Scrubbing Bubble foam worked amazing for a quick clean and for getting inside tto razors I usually use a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a couple drops of dawn and a few squirts of Windex.

Vinegar is an amazing cleaner for many things, I'm just not sure I would use it for a cleaner on my razors when there are better safer options out there.

You know with all this talk about vinegar, backing soda, and dishwasher washes, don't forget to add a drop of lubricant to the TTO hinges (if any), twist mechanisms and threads. Just a drop goes a long way towards preserving your vintage (or new) razor.

I like Sentry Solutions TUF-GLIDE with the needle applicator. It works well for adding just a touch of oil in just the right places.

Here is a few pics of the razor after it was cleaned. The last pic is with the flash on.
$20141206_105102.jpg$20141206_105215.jpg$20141206_105243.jpg$20141206_105738.jpg$20141206_105919.jpg

I had cleaned my '61 (G3) Fatboy with a heated water and vinegar mix in my ultrasonic cleaner before reading the cleaning wiki. My razor came out with a black haze that fortunately buffed off, but I'm pretty sure that was some of the nickel being removed (and it's a bit duller now than it was).

Top Bottom