What's new

Cleaning/lubricating a Fatboy

Purchased the razor recently and want to give it a thorough cleaning. There are some spots on the handle and head that I will try to polish out with Blue Magic, although something tells me that I may need to do something more than that. Any ideas?

Also, how does one lubricate the mechanism? It works fine, but seems a bit "off" and the last quarter/half turn are almost squeeky, sound wise.Is WD-40 a safe lubricant?

TIA.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Give it a shot with scrubbing bubbles or Comet Liquid Bathroom cleaner (NOT the powder) and clean with a toothbrush.Use the blue magic (a great product) with a toothbrush, and a gentle swirling motion to get in the knurling, then the same toothbrush and dish detergetnt to get the stuff out.

WD40 isn't good as a lubricant, it breaks down and leaves a residue.

There's no real need to lubricate these, but if you really are bugged by the squeaking, try a drop or two of baby oil down the center post under the silo doors and just work it a while.

I first use Scrubbing Bubbles to get all of the soap scum and stuff off of the razor. Then I polish it with MAAS polish. I have never oiled a razor, but I wouldn't use WD40. Maybe mineral oil. Soaking the razor in warm soapy water sometimes helps get the gunk out of the handle and make the operation of the TTO more smooth.

Thanks for the suggestions. To be clear, the razor seems clean, I am just trying to see if I can eliminate some spots (although they may be brass showing by now).

The doors are fine and work fine, I just polished them with Blue Magic this morning, but they do work fine and operate smoothly.

The sounds ae made by the knob itself, I wonder if I can just dip it in mineral oil or add a drop or two of baby oil as suggested.

Where does one buy mineral oil? There seems to be a myriad of "mineral oil" prducts out there, what exactly do I buy?

The cheap stuff is the generic store brand mineral oil sold as a laxative. And if using baby oil, it's nothing more than scented mineral oil.

I wouldn't use any lubrication and certainly not mineral oil. Lots of folks around here seem to be in love with mineral oil, and I can't fathom why that is. Mineral oil will just gunk up the inside of the razor. These razors don't need lubrication, they need cleaning but not lubrication. I had one that squeaked just like yours and the last quarter turn just didn't work right at all. I cleaned it out by pouring paint thinner (thinner not remover) through it, lighter fluid works well too. That dissolved the gunk, which may have been hardened mineral oil for all I know, and the razor works perfectly.

If you want to give it a proper cleaning though, see here:

http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wouldn't use any lubrication and certainly not mineral oil. Lots of folks around here seem to be in love with mineral oil, and I can't fathom why that is. Mineral oil will just gunk up the inside of the razor. These razors don't need lubrication, they need cleaning but not lubrication. I had one that squeaked just like yours and the last quarter turn just didn't work right at all. I cleaned it out by pouring paint thinner (thinner not remover) through it, lighter fluid works well too. That dissolved the gunk, which may have been hardened mineral oil for all I know, and the razor works perfectly.

If you want to give it a proper cleaning though, see here:

http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

Mineral oil and Paint thinner have the same paraffin base, and would leave the same residue. White Spirit is considerably more flammable and hazardous to health than mineral oil. Mineral oil is frequently used in the food industry, Paint thinner is not. I don't think there are heavy oils or carbon deposits on the razor, which is the primary reason Stoddard Solvent is used commercially for industrial metal cleaning.

A good soak in the Scrubbing Bubbles or the Liquid Comet (Citric Acid based) would do just fine on soap scum and hard water deposits.

And Mineral oil doesn't "harden". Ever.

Lighter Fluid is by and large Naptha, which is not only extremely flammable, but is also very carcinogenic. It's a severe skin irritant.

The likely place the general public would be doing this sort of pouring of paint thinner or naptha into their razors would be the bathroom sink, which introduces dangerous petro chemicals into the waste water system.

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE disassemble their Fatboy merely for cleaning. Disassembly might be ok if there is something broken, and you haven't lost anything if you destroy it in the process. Again, a good soak in the Scrubbing Bubbles or the Liquid Comet (Citric Acid based) would do just fine on soap scum and hard water deposits.

While I agree that lubrication is not necessary, not necessary is very different from not recommended or forbidden. The OP stated that the squeak was bothering him, not that it wouldn't move. A drop of mineral oil on the Fatboy is a far cry from pouring paint thinner or naptha into his razor.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You might consider a quality mechanical oil. The Braun oil that came with my electric beard trimmer worked wonders for me.

Lubricated with Baby Oil, seems to work smoother than before. Also polished with Blue magic and soft bristle tooth brush, then cleaned under warm water and dish detergent, the razor looks much better than before.

Thanks all for suggestions, really appreciated.

I found that the Fatboy is the most difficult razor to get the crud out of. The TTO end is open and the threads are exposed. Dirt gets up into the threads and eventually rests and hardens past where you can see it. I have had two Fatboys squeek when opening and closing and have spent hours trying to eliminate it. I found the best way to clean out the crud is to do long term soaks in hot water and dish soap. After about an hour work the TTO back and forth for about 5 minutes and then soak again with new hot soap and water. You will eventually see the crud work it's way out the end of the razor. I then use Q-Tips to help get it out and then fresh soak again. Eventually the squeek disappeared and the TTO worked as smooth as you can imagine. And these razors were not dirty to start with. They were purchased from razor sellers who claimed they were cleaned, sanitized and polished. The Fatboy is the only Gillette that I know of that has exposed TTO screw threads. The problem was fixed with Gillette's next adjustable, the Slim. I don't oil my razors and would not use WD40. You'll never get rid of the smell.

Len

Well, it has improved a lot, squeeking wise, but there is still some. I will try to follow your lead and soak it in hot water bath and see if things improve.

Top Bottom