What's new

Classical Music!

How the heck did I miss this thread the first go 'round?!?

I don't think I could list them all...

Ashkenazy playing Chopin - oh, the Ballades!

The Lindseys playing Beethoven String Quartets - I think Quartet 13 in Bb Op130 is a desert island pick for me. There is just so much emotion - you should check out the back story on that composition.

Brendel playing Beethoven Piano Sonatas. how can you not like the Sonatas? Pathetique, Mondschein....

I am a sucker for violin concertos - Brahms, Beethoven, Mendelssohn... Jascha Heifetz is probably my favorite violist.

Bizet's Carmen...

Mozrt's Piano Concertos and Piano Sonatas. Those here with babies - much of that Baby Einstein music is from the Piano Sonatas.

I like most everything of Schubert - especially his quintets and piano sonatas.

That should cover me for now. Now I need to go find that jazz thread. :biggrin:

Dennis

My favorite trumpet player has to be Lee Morgan, though. Another guy who died way before his golden years. I just love the way he articulates things, and the energy that's behind every note. I would kill to be able to play that way!

Lee Morgan... great player! All of his work was done in Hi-Fidelity... but, he lost his contract due to In-Fidelity.

I'll have to look for that Jazz Thread! :thumbup1:

A few of my favorites:

Copland
Berlioz
Stravinsky
Ravel
Debussy

If you want to relax... Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings". It doesn't get much better than that!

>~iii<0

chop-chop

Hi All,
Here's a couple of things I find enjoyable........music that 'moves' me in some positive way.
First, I DO love Les Preludes, by Franz Liszt. Having grown up in the black and white era of television, I watched Flash Gordon every Sunday morning. Some of that music was really beautiful, and it wasn't till I went through a TON of Wagner trying to find what it was, that I found out Wagner wasn't the composer at all! Sounded like something he'd do, but nope. Yeah, it was that rascal Liszt. So, Les Preludes has some great memories for me, as well as great musical weight. Very majestic, if you like that sort of thing
Let's see now....oh Jeeeeez..I have to include Gilbert and Sullivan, although those are operettas. My all time favorite is The Mikado.....these guys had a tremendous sense of humor, btw.
Let's see now, just one more suggestion for the lovers of gypsy violin: This piece is called Ziguenerweisen, and it's by Pablo Sarasate. Yeah, it's a real classic gypsy sound, which I like. Starts out slow, with a big build up. Quite wonderful, especially if you hear the recording done by Sarasate himself.
Martin

This really is a key to appreciating classical music. Its not like most popular music, which is more accessible--shorter, uses words/lyrics, more simple harmonic language, etc.

I've always thought of the difference between pop and classical music as being like the difference between home cooking and fine dining. Most nights I want a good, hot dinner on the table that doesn't require a lot of fussing around--meat loaf, chicken breats, etc.

But sometimes I like to linger over a fine meal, accompanied with a good glass of wine. It takes more time to appreciate and match components, and isn't for every night.

That said, sometimes nothing beats a good burger and a beer! (Which for me is jazz!)

:smile: :biggrin: :cursing: :001_wub: :o15: :c12: :em1500: :shaving: :a5: :a50: :a29: :scooter:
Sorry about the smilies--my 3 year old insisted!

I've really been listening to a lot of Bach recently. English and French Suites, WTC and Goldberg Variations, and the Brandenburg Concerti are prominent in the rotation. Concierto de Aranjuez by Roderigo is also getting a lot of eartime. Throw in a healthy sprinkling of Haydn, and I am covered.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Many years ago, as a highschool student, I began my voyage into classical music by asking my Dad for the 1812 Overture for Xmas ... and he obliged (Barenboim & Chicago SO). I played it over and over, and then came Crucial Moment #1, when I decided (gasp) to TURN THE RECORD OVER and listen to the other side. That turned me from an "1812 guy" into a "classical music" guy.

Soon thereafter, my Dad saw my interest and gave me my second classical album: Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Klemperer & Phil.O). I was addicted to the 4th movement (on side 3), but the first three movements were kinda dull for a teenager. But after a while, I had Crucial Moment #2, when I made a conscious decision that I was going to sit there and listen to the whole thing straight through and NOT wander off for a snack in the seemingly interminable 3rd movement. I had turned the corner and was on my way to becoming a listener who Paid Attention.

This is the great thing about classical music. It's not just a pop hit, it's not just background music, it's the most complex, multi-layered (well, the best of it, anyhow) stuff out there. You're better off by far being an explorer in uncharted territory, and this stuff demands (or at least strongly suggests) that you Pay Attention and think about what you're hearing.

Oh, and the flip side of the 1812 was Capriccio Italian and the Slavonic March ... which now I would prefer to listen to rather than the 1812. But I kept exploring and now have, oh, 500 other things I'd rather listen to.

I love nearly all classical music, especially for piano. Chopin, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Liszt, Rachmaninov, Mozart--the list goes on and on. Sadly, the stuff I love the most I'll never be able to play. I'm somewhat of a duffer at the keyboard, but I still have fun.

I've always enjoyed listening to harpsichord music. Here's a little intro about it:

Harpsichord (Italian cembalo; French clavecin), stringed keyboard instrument in which the strings are plucked to produce sound. It was developed in Europe in the 14th or 15th century and was widely used from the 16th to the early 19th century, when it was superseded by the piano. In the 20th century the harpsichord was revived for performance of music of the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, as well as for new compositions. The incisive sound quality of the plucked metal strings adds clarity to melodic lines. The harpsichord is particularly effective in performing contrapuntal music—that is, music that consists of two or more melodies played at the same time, such as that of the German composer Johann Sebastian Bach.

Unlike the piano, the harpsichord doesn't have "sustaining" pedals... so, you'll hear a lot of the musical ornamentation of the Baroque style when listening to harpsichord music.

I have to make a comment about the "1812" Overture:

The "1812" Overture always has had a history of producing its share of pranks during its performance. These pranks usually take place near the ending when the "cannons" are often heard. In the theater, the bass drum usually provides the "boom". A couple of the more notable pranks that I know of involved 1.) sending a shower of pillow feathers down on the audience; and 2.) sending a shower of ping-pong balls down on the audience... in a well-known theater.

On occasion, to sound very authentic, actual cannons are used for performances... given the right performance venue. I've played the "1812" more times than I can remember. Well, for one performance, they used an 8-gauge cannon... one that was typically used for starting yacht club races. This particular performance was held in a college auditorium/gymnasium. Again, knowing the piece quite well, you know exactly when to expect the "boom". I'll also add that the cannons are not typically used for rehearsals. During that performance, I'll bet that I must have popped about what seemed like a foot off my chair. Not only was the cannon loud, its sound was amplified by the acoustics of the gymnasium. That was 35 years ago, and I still have "shell shock" thinking about it! :biggrin:

chop-chop

Top Bottom