What's new

Classic Album Discussion - Houses of the Holy

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Classic Album Discussion
(Its been a while. :wink: )
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (1973)

I just listened to this one in the car today. I forgot about this 1973 gem from Led Zeppelin. When you think about the body of work they generated in their first four albums, Houses of the Holy being their fifth, it really is quite incredible. It certainly rivals the run by The Rolling Stones from 1968 to 1972 with​
Beggar's Banquet to Exile on Main Street as well as The Beatles run from 1965 to 1969 with Rubber Soul to Abbey Road in terms of being a creative explosion from any single band of any era in the pantheon of rock music.

But I found Houses of the Holy to perhaps be one of Zep's most approachable, if not the most melodic, album they put out. Growing up during the times these records were being released, I found that after Houses of the Holy, I kind of lost interest in Led Zeppelin. I think, as with alot of mega-successful bands of that era, the later records became somewhat self-indulgent and somewhat uninteresting. Alot of people may argue that Physical Graffiti may be the apex but this is certainly a "YMMV" topic after all.

I believe with this album, The Zep had reached their apex of their creativity and were at the height of their musical powers. This is where it all came together. Rock and roll. Superstardom. It's Madison Square Garden, it's the The Song Remains The Same (which was released in 1976), it's Dancing Days, it's fantastic.

I'm glad I rediscovered this classic album. :thumbup1:

For your consideration, I give you the 1973 offering by Led Zeppelin.

I said it's alright, you know it's alright...

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

I could not agree more.
Led Zeppelin's early albums are masterpieces, sonically ahead of their time.
All tracks on Houses of the Holy are classics.
The Rain Song is a particular favorite of mine, hauntingly beautiful.
They don't make bands/albums like this anymore.

Last edited:
Learned to play "Rain Song" on the 12 string.

It was quite effective at doing what every teenage boy wants his guitar to do for him.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I haven't heard this album (don't shoot me yet) but I will try to do that this week. I did a quick search and I happened to miss every classic album discussion in the past :)eek:)... Thanks Bob for bringing this back!

This is a wonderful album. You can see the progression of the band.
Too many people stop too early in Zep's albums.
Our band used to play "The Ocean" and we had such a fun time with it.

I have to put this one on very soon.
I was singing Dancing Days not long ago.

I bought this album when it came out( I was a junior in high school),and didn't like it the first time. After listening to it twice more I thought it was fantastic. It was so different it just took a little time to wrap my mind around it.

The odd duck in Zeppelin's discography. It's been so long since I've heard it, I had to listen to Rain Maker before remembering it. Sadly.

The Ocean still rocks.

Thanks for bringing this back Bob.

I agree that this is Zep at it's apex but Exile is a pretty fantastic album. Apples and oranges in my opinion.

Exile on main St is one of my favorite albums of all time.... not a huge Stones fan tho ironically (and I love when ***** Gallore -former band of John Spencer Blues explosion's , err John Spencer redid it from front to back in late 80s)

Zeppelin though were a rock and roll phenomenon... take 1 part (ok maybe 2-3parts) Willie Dixon, mix it with Bonham's timing and bongo madness, Jone's incessent groove, Paige's incredible talent and esoteric wisdom of silence as an instrument itself, and Plants charisma and voice and then let Peter Grant drive the plane to success!!!

truly a rock and roll phenomenon.

Zep 1 is best debut album of all time (IMO)

Houses Of Holy was one of my favorites in high school, tho not sure i'd consider it a zenith... they were still brilliant, but it just lacked something the previous albums had... great as it is.

Last edited:
Excellent album. It showcases how diverse the band was. The could rock hard or slow, wax poetic with their lyrics, and even bring the funk. Has anyone seen the bridge?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The is one of my favorites.

The Rain Song is one of my favorite songs of all time...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was at the 1973 MSG concert that was made into a film. Fun times.

Love it! The songs hit so many different styles it almost sounds like a greatest hits album covering years and years.

And "The Ocean" has some of the most natural-sounding, intuitive, fluid drumming of any rock song ever. Almost Ringo-like in its absolute appropriateness.

This could open a new can of ear worms.

Fixed that for you.

But honestly, he's got a good point.
Perhaps not the best album of all time, but as debut albums go, imagine picking up a new album from a band that you'd never heard of comprised of a rhythm guitarist that backed up Jeff Beck, a session bassist who'd wife talked him into contacting Page, and a singer and Drummer from the unknown "Band of Joy", who had been touring for only 3 months in the UK.....

Drop the needle and hear the intro to Black Dog......

That, my friend, is musical history shared by thousands.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This could open a new can of worms.
I have to agree with Joshua- best debut ever. The band had only been together for a couple months, and the album was recorded in 27 hours. The album has a very good "live" feeling about it. I love every Zep album (and keep sending more money to Jimmy every time he remasters or puts out a new box set), but Zep1 is my favorite. I find it hard to pick a favorite off that album, but "How Many More Times" has an awesome ferocity about it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, I was able to listen to the album during the week-end. I enjoyed it. I got to say that I'm not the biggest Led Zeppelin fan, I prefer AC/DC but that might be a generation thing... I liked that it did not really have the "big hits" that I would expect to hear from Led Zeppelin. The opening of the album was fantastic. I was lucky to be able to listen to the vinyl version and not a CD. If I can find it, I would buy it.

I think those kind of reviews should be on the menu more often! Loved it!

Top Bottom