What's new

Classic Album Discussion - Highway 61 Revisited

Classic Album Discussion
(on Vinyl :wink: )
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (1965)

I pulled out this LP the other night and played it over supper and thought about these threads, so decided to resurrected them. I am by no means a music reviewer and don't pretend to be one, but I am a music lover and Dylan admirer as well as a Vinyl junkie.​

With side One opening with "Like A Rolling Stone", how can you go wrong. Obviously this is one of Dylan's most commercial successful songs, but this side is filled with great numbers from electric to more traditional like "It takes a lot to Laugh, it takes a train to cry" and then ending with what I will describe as haunting, "Ballad of a Thin Man". I love some of these slow numbers and they appear to be so relaxed when recording. You can ever here Dylan laughing a few times on some of the tracks between lines.

Side Two opens with another song similar to the opening of the album, at least in my eyes. "Queen Jane Approximately is very organ driven and same tempo and a great one to lead into the whimsical "Highway 61 Revisited" which is a bit of a rocker for this album, even with it's odd sound effects and opening notes. Ending with the marathon song Desolation Row, this album is Classic Dylan from start to finish and one of my favorites.

I am a fan of early Dylan and respect his choices and musical style as he progressed from Young Kid to Folk Legend to Living Legend. I have been lucky to see him twice and would have loved to have seen him back in the late 60's or early 70's, but I was born in the wrong generation for that. I am just lucky to have been able to discover him many years ago, when my buddies were listening to radio junk that no one remembers now. I never grow tired of this album and couldn't even tell you how many copies of it I own, from vinyl to cd to SACD to mono to Japan pressing etc.

The only way to listen to these albums is on Vinyl. But it's my understanding Vinyl went out about 20y ago, but nobody told me, so CD's will suffice if you need. Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to listen to this or any other of the "Classic Albums" discussed here, in MP3. They are also best listened to from Start to Finish, so give yourselves an 45min to an hour and sit back and enjoy music the way it was meant to be.

Most of you will know this album but if you don't, go and grab a copy on Vinyl and fire up that turntable. :thumbup1:

Side One:
1. Like A Rolling Stone
2. Tombstone Blues
3. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Lot To Cry
4. From A Buick 6
5. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Side Two:
1. Queen Jane Approximately
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
4. Desolation Row

For your consideration, I give you the 1965 offering by Bob Dylan....

$IMG_7484.jpg

Well, she don't make me nervous, she don't talk too much
She walks like Bo Diddley and she don't need no crutch....

Last edited:
Highway 61 was always a favorite of his post-folk albums. I got to see him in Louisville in early '66 when he was still doing half acoustic & half electric sets with most of the songs from this album. I haven't played the vinyl in a long time as my system is a 30 year old piece of junk but after seeing your post I decided to put on the vinyl bootleg "Highway 61 Revisited Again" which I found while looking for the other.

Highway 61 Revisited is the first Dylan album I picked up, back in the late 1970s. While I think that the "acoustic" side of Bringing It All Back Home is perhaps Dylan at his best, Highway 61 Revisited has many of the literary qualities that the prior album did, but is a bit more solid or coherent as a musical theme concept unto itself.

Last edited:
I missed this earlier. Great review. Fabulous album.

BIABH, Highway 61, and Blonde on Blonde "are" Dylan to me, as Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile are the Stones, and Tommy and Who's Next are The Who. (One could add another side to the list for Dylan and Quadraphenia for The Who. I might do the former but not the latter.)

Fabulous sets of albums, all of a piece within each set. All of these groups had other great albums. But none as important or remarkable as these, IMHO.

Every cut on HW 61 is pure Dylan and a great piece of work to my mind.

Top Bottom