What's new

Classic Aftershaves

That's a nice list you have. Of the ones I've tried off your list, here are my thoughts:
Osage Rub is highly mentholated & has a strong medicine odor. But it sure cools you off!
Lucky Tiger is very nice, great face feel, scent is light & doesn't last long at all.
Old Spice is strong going on, but not a great scent anymore.
Pinaud Clubman is remarkable! Scent is classic, powdery, & reminds me of days gone by. Scent lingers for hours & can be recharged by appliying a dab of water to your face. Wonderful AS. I add 5 - 6 drops of glycerin to a bottle & it provides good face feel also. All around great aftershave.

But of course, YMMV. (This is a disclaimer that could be put at the end of every shave related review.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have an affinity for old fashioned grooming. Could you please suggest me your recommended classic aftershaves ... with a 1950s (or prior) feeling.

I am deciding between Pinaud Clubman classic, Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Lucky Tiger Aspen, Osage Rub, Old Spice, and Brut.

I haven't tried the Aspen, but the others all seem like good choices that may satisfy your criteria. Also, try the Clubman "Special Reserve".

I'd certainly add a bottle of Aqua Velva to your list.

If the prices of the following are within your budget, I suggest you try a bottle of:
  • Musgo Real
  • Speick
  • DR Harris "Arlington"
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street "Victorian Limes"
If you can afford it (it's even more pricey than any of the others), a bottle of Penhaligon's "Blenheim Bouquet" aftershave will knock your socks off.

The green hasn't been available in the USA before, it instantly became my favorite of all the current aqua velva flavors.

The "Green Velva" is great stuff. We've had it up here in Canada for years and years ... can't figure out why they don't sell it in the States too. Maybe now they do?

Aftershaves are different on different people. I rotate between Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum (often referred to as VIBR) and Barbasol Pacific Rush.

I second the motion to try Floid . . . either Suave or Vigoroso. Also, even though Old Spice doesn’t smell like Old Spice any more, PAA Cold Spices does . . . with a touch of menthol. All of these have great face feel.

I love Osage Rub, but you buy that one for the refreshing feel, not the smell
(although it doesn't last that long).

For originality's sake, you might want to order classics that are not locally available. For example, if you happen to live in Canada, the Pinaud Clubman lineup was never around in the past. You can get the old-school vibe without the risk of getting the "you smell like my grandpa" comments. The classic is good all year round, VIBR is a good winter smell, and the Citrus-Musk is good in summer.

You probably know this already, but aftershaves typically don't smell too much or too long (unless you douse yourself with it...but you don't want to be "that guy"). Gents looking for longer lasting smells typically go for colognes, something which is completely foreign to me.

If you happen to live near a large metropolitan areas, you might be able to get cologne samples from some of the better department stores. Often fragrance companies sell aftershaves that smell like watered-down versions of the colognes; so if you like one chances are you will like the other.

Good-luck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Lilac Vegetal is specifically prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

Top Bottom