What's new

Classic Aftershaves

I'm beginning to get into the world of traditional DE shaving as I have an affinity for old fashioned grooming. Could you please suggest me your recommended classic aftershaves that smell amazing, or something that the ladies would love, preferably with a 1950s (or prior) feeling. I currently have the German Dapper Dan blue aftershave, I am deciding between Pinaud Clubman classic, Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Lucky Tiger Aspen, Osage Rub, Old Spice, and Brut. I am very welcome to more suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After your cat scratches heal, you might want to try the clean refreshing scent of Aqua Velva or maybe some Skin Bracer.

I'm beginning to get into the world of traditional DE shaving as I have an affinity for old fashioned grooming. Could you please suggest me your recommended classic aftershaves that smell amazing, or something that the ladies would love, preferably with a 1950s (or prior) feeling. I currently have the German Dapper Dan blue aftershave, I am deciding between Pinaud Clubman classic, Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Lucky Tiger Aspen, Osage Rub, Old Spice, and Brut. I am very welcome to more suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s quite a mixed bag of scents!

Osage rub is great stuff, a bit medicinal smelling, like Proraso Green, but super mentholated.

The original Lucky Tiger is good stuff too, great skin feel and the scent doesn’t last long, so you can double up on another AS or apply your frag of choice. I’ve not tried their other scents. Speick is another good one like this.

Clubman Classic is nice, I had to cut mine and decant it to mellow it out some though. My favorite Clubman at the moment is a toss up between Virgin Island Bay Rum and Vanilla; both great, long lasting scents.

Old Spice is not what it used to be, but the scent is pleasant. It has almost no skin effects though, that I can feel anyway.

Brut AS is sub par for me. I had a better, more pleasing result decanting a bottle of the splash on frag, and cutting in some witch hazel and wintergreen isopropyl...waaaay better, more fresh, and lasts all day on me.

Out of the ones listed I’d say go for a Lucky Tiger of choice.

Last edited:
Get the big glass bottle of Floïd Suave for classic barbershop. My wife has really gotten to love its subtle scent, mostly because it reminds here of our trips to Spain.

Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and Old Spice would be my first picks. Clubman doesn’t work for me, but could also fit the bill for you.

For me ‘classic’ means ‘barbershop’ or Pinaud Clubman! :a29:

If I were European, then Floid Vigoroso, Speick, or Proraso. (And I have all of these options!!)

I would have to say that for classic as then Aqua Velva, Clubman or Old Spice would fit the bill.
If it is more of a “classic” smell you are after then I highly recommend Fine Acoutrements American Barbershop.

I would have to say that for classic as then Aqua Velva, Clubman or Old Spice would fit the bill.
If it is more of a “classic” smell you are after then I highly recommend Fine Acoutrements American Barbershop.

Do you mean American Blend? It is indeed a seemingly timeless scent, as are a number of the other Fine AS!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Find some vintage Avon at a Goodwill store. Their "Spicy" is as close to the old Old Spice aftershave as you will ever get. But just about any vintage Avon is real good stuff.

original old spice from the 1980s is one of my all time favorite scents.

but Aqua Velva is now right up there as well, i posted about this in the shopping and deals section a few days ago. i just got a gift set from amazon and it's one of the best values in shaving. you get a big 7 oz bottle of the original blue Aqua Velva, a williams puck, and 7 oz of the green Aqua Velva Sport Cologne which i think is pretty awesome. It's fresh, clean, and bright with a tiny hint of spice and maybe a little spearmint, it reminds me of Paco Robanne, if that's any help.

The green hasn't been available in the USA before, it instantly became my favorite of all the current aqua velva flavors.

proxy.php

Last edited:
the williams puck has a very light citronella kinda smell but once you lather it up it's basically unscented. the original blue aqua velva aftershave has the classic alcohol'y barbershop talcum powdery smell. And then the sport cologne really takes it up a notch with a blast of clean freshness and little extra zip of something special in there too, way different from the classic blue powdery smell. The combo of using all 3 together was a very nice experience.

That green bottle has such a familiar smell to me from decades past, i don't know exactly what it is but i really like it alot, maybe the paco robanne reference but i'm not sure. it's also maybe in the same realm as the proraso green splash but it's a little spicier than proraso. i have to get my uncle's opinion at the next family gathering, he's good with remembering old timey stuff.

Last edited:
If you want 1950's or prior scents, you have to try Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Skin Bracer, Pinaud Clubman and Old Spice

Top Bottom