What's new

CigarSmoka's staycation/gratitude PIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined B&B almost 5 months ago and have really appreciated all the help and general comraderie here. I'm also lucky enough to have a job that gives me 4 weeks of vacation every year. The conundrum? I flat out can't afford to take a 4 week vacation, so it's a staycation this week. As a token of thanks, I turned 4 brush handles for a PIF. All have Maggard's synthetic knots, and none of them are perfect. These were all practice runs for a brush I'm making my brother. I wanted to figure out the chucking order, etc. As such, all have flaws, some worse than others, but all are very nice.

Rules:

1: Anybody can join. This is my thank you to B&B so there are no exclusions. Just joined this morning and only have 1 post? No worries! Just won a PIF this afternoon? Jump right in!

2: You only get to try for 1 brush. Just give the number and/or name of the brush you want and say "I'm in!" If you wish to change your choice feel free, just make another post with the brush you want.

3: Depending how this goes, I will pick winners sometime this weekend. I may use random.org or I might draw names from a hat. You'll just have to trust me.

4: You have to trust me to pick a random winner for each brush by whatever method I choose. If you think I'm going to "stack the deck" then don't join.

Now, the game has started, let's introduce the players.

1: ShortCut. This guy was the first and as such I had a few problems with the chucking order. Suffice to say I had to cut the bottom off and sand down the collar a bit, so the collar isn't rounded over. Figured Walnut, 24mm x x52mm, CA finish

2: ChuckJump. This little rascal jump off my expansion jaws as I was finishing the bottom and left 2 marks on the collar. Zebrawood, 24mm x 51mm, CA finish.

3: The Resinator. No problems turning but I didn't do the best finish. It shines nicely but you can see some sanding lines if you look closely. Polyester resin, 24mm x 50mm.

4: The Big Grip. Has a few flaws in the finish from impurities, but you have to look for them. Nice grain on this one, but I could have done a better job on the bottom. Luckily that's exactly where it sits so it's not real noticeable. Leopardwood, 22mm x 47mm, CA finish.

That's it folks! Remember, you only get to pick one. Just give the name or number and say "I'm in!" I know these aren't perfect, but I put quite a bit of work into them, and all would rate SAS or DFS to make a correlation. All knots are new and unused.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 208
They all look really awesome, but count me in for #4 , that's the one I fell in love with first. I love the leopardwood (i'd never heard of that before).

Very awesome pif and beautiful brushes, but not in. Someone that doesn't have/own a brush or doesn't have a custom brush should win these. I'll have to find some of that leopard wood to work with someday. Do you think it'll be good for making a nice pepper mill?

Very awesome pif and beautiful brushes, but not in. Someone that doesn't have/own a brush or doesn't have a custom brush should win these. I'll have to find some of that leopard wood to work with someday. Do you think it'll be good for making a nice pepper mill?

Absolutely. The first two times I turnd it I hated the stuff, but the brush turned with ease. You might need to spend some extra time sanding depending on how good your final cut is though. I literally went from hating Leopardwood to loving it with this brush, it turned so easily this time. Probably because I use carbide tip tools now, as well as hand sharpening my HSS tools with diamond files.

I'm In for Chuckjump #2. My favorite of the lot, but its a hard decision, they all look great! Thanks for this generous PIF and good luck to all.

Not it, but an amazing PIF and awesome work on the brushes. Number 2 is my favorite. When you start taking on custom orders, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom