What's new

Chunky brushes?

Hi guys! I'm in the market for something with a big luxurious knot and a chunky substantial handle. I have never used a synth knot before but I'm open to all materials

So far I've come across:

Maggard's granite resin handle 26mm
Maggard's black handle - black/white synth 30mm
Razorock HULK (price point seems hard to beat for the size)
Alpha Shaving El Gordo
Razorock Big Bruce
Simpson Chubby 2-3 (badger and synth)
Kent BK12S (Can't find much about their synth material: silvertex)

Did I miss anything..?

Simpson‘s Polo 8 is a big lad and the Polo 10/12/14 are beasts. Knots may not be as dense as a Chubby 2-3, but the handles are big and comfortable. I think the Polo 8 and 10 are available in synthetic.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Biggest I ever made was the size of a softball......some others a can of soda.
Found the pictures....
IMG_4343.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm in the market for something with a big luxurious knot and a chunky substantial handle. I have never used a synth knot before but I'm open to all materials

So far I've come across:

Maggard's granite resin handle 26mm
Maggard's black handle - black/white synth 30mm
Razorock HULK (price point seems hard to beat for the size)
Alpha Shaving El Gordo
Razorock Big Bruce
Simpson Chubby 2-3 (badger and synth) once you use it up will never go back
Kent BK12S (Can't find much about their synth material: silvertex)

Did I miss anything..?
You need a polo 14 in Manchurian one you use it you will never go back- I got one , check out my other thread.

I am in the process of requesting another one. I live the knot on my current one so much that I may just send in the brush and request them to pick out a similar one for me

If it's for shaving your face, my personal advice is that you don't want a huge brush (knot) as it will get lather into your eyes and ears.....

I have the Polo 10, it's large and it's great for head shaving.....face?= I just apply/paint the left over lather on the face

Bought a synthetic from RR.....a red handle, that is a beast and for me unusable for face shaving..... for head: OK'ish but I will rather use a "normal" size brush for both......

If it's for shaving your face, my personal advice is that you don't want a huge brush (knot) as it will get lather into your eyes and ears.....

I have the Polo 10, it's large and it's great for head shaving.....face?= I just apply/paint the left over lather on the face

Bought a synthetic from RR.....a red handle, that is a beast and for me unusable for face shaving..... for head: OK'ish but I will rather use a "normal" size brush for both......
The 34mm F-400? Yes I use it solely for headshaveing.

B004E147-BD6D-48FD-BE05-4058601E9495.jpeg

The PAA atomic rocket has a huge handle. The knot is good too if you like Plissoft knots (similar to RR's). I wouldn't call it luxurious though. (I neither would the RR Plissofts, but they are good brushes too)

Simpson‘s Polo 8 is a big lad and the Polo 10/12/14 are beasts. Knots may not be as dense as a Chubby 2-3, but the handles are big and comfortable. I think the Polo 8 and 10 are available in synthetic.
Wow you're right.. Looking at the specs all the Polo handles are enormous!

Polo 14
Total Height: 145 mm
Handle Height: 83 mm
Loft Height: 62 mm
Knot Diameter: 32 mm

Polo 12
Total Height: 135 mm
Handle Height: 77 mm
Loft Height: 58 mm
Knot Diameter: 28 mm

Polo 10
Total Height: 122 mm
Handle Height: 68 mm
Loft Height: 54 mm
Knot Diameter: 27 mm

Polo 8
Total Height: 115 mm
Handle Height: 65 mm
Loft Height: 50 mm
Knot Diameter: 23 mm

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The PAA atomic rocket has a huge handle. The knot is good too if you like Plissoft knots (similar to RR's). I wouldn't call it luxurious though. (I neither would the RR Plissofts, but they are good brushes too)
Yes, if you want chunky this is the one. To my eye it's less than graceful, but it most definitely is a handful of brush - and it's cheap.

If you're not looking for cheap the Wald brushes have a substantial handle and a generous sized knot - or get Rudy to make you exactly what you want.

Wow you're right.. Looking at the specs all the Polo handles are enormous!

Polo 14
Total Height: 145 mm
Handle Height: 83 mm
Loft Height: 62 mm
Knot Diameter: 32 mm
this is a monster, does anyone have one? would be fun to look at it next to say a Trafalgar T1 :D

Maseto .... This brand does some nice brushes with an excellent price tag, big chunky ones too. Look at Ebay, I think it's a small company mainly selling out of Ebay.
But I agree with @Multum in parvo , the brushes that have stayed in my rotation are not the big chunky ones ...
Thanks for directing me to these! They are new to me

I'd highly recommend Saponificio varesino brush. Beautiful handles and wonderful badger knot, soft badger yet enough backbone to stand upright on its bristles. Brilliant brush. Seek out reviews .

I don't know if the guy is still around, but many years ago there was a Simpson collector (the guy had hundreds of brushes from them) that had one of those huge Polos or even a display only model. I don't remember what it was. It was massive and he had a picture of him using it. Probably impractical but looked like a fun brush :).

Top Bottom