What's new

Check Your Travel Supplies

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Before you leave the house.

I'm traveling now. We had a one night hotel stay on the way to the time share and packed a small bag with needed essentials. I travel with a small plastic bowl and a tub of soap, but I knew I had a few containers of cream in my dopp kit.

Well, it turns out that cream is quite a few years old. I tried some Vostok and managed to get a few fingerfulls of pretty dried out cream on my face - which immediately started to burn. OK, wipe that off - throw out that little container - and find the refill of Castle Forbes.

That was pretty stiff as well (turns out you can't leave a dollop in a small container for years and expect great results), but it worked.

I always forget how many shaves I have on my travel razor. The last time I traveled (October) I took the used blade out and left the razor empty. Of course I forgot this. I started to shave and wondered why I was having so much trouble finding the right blade angle - until I realized there was no blade in the razor.

I can't wait to get to that soap this morning.

Thats why when I travel, I take sample size soaps and disposable single blade razors. Even if soap is several years old, it may not have much scent anymore but its still going to work.
The same with razors. I use them 2-3 times on vacation, toss them out and dont have to worry about it. Not to mention you cant fly with DE blades anyways, unless you check your bag.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I'm traveling now. We had a one night hotel stay on the way to the time share and packed a small bag with needed essentials. I travel with a small plastic bowl and a tub of soap, but I knew I had a few containers of cream in my dopp kit.

Well, it turns out that cream is quite a few years old. I tried some Vostok and managed to get a few fingerfulls of pretty dried out cream on my face - which immediately started to burn. OK, wipe that off - throw out that little container - and find the refill of Castle Forbes.

That was pretty stiff as well (turns out you can't leave a dollop in a small container for years and expect great results), but it worked.

I always forget how many shaves I have on my travel razor. The last time I traveled (October) I took the used blade out and left the razor empty. Of course I forgot this. I started to shave and wondered why I was having so much trouble finding the right blade angle - until I realized there was no blade in the razor.

This has happened to me. More than once. Ugh. Sorry brother.

A stick of Tabac, a tube of Speick, and a tube of Proraso will get you through anything. They won't dry out either.

My travel kit is always assembled out of things in my den right before leaving, then put away properly when I get back home!

Whoops! I'll be sure to double check before I leave for 8 days on Friday :001_302:

I don't generally keep a travel kit packed, just grab what I want. Have to check a bag for this one anyway, so I'll probably bring a DE.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Whoops! I'll be sure to double check before I leave for 8 days on Friday :001_302:

I don't generally keep a travel kit packed, just grab what I want. Have to check a bag for this one anyway, so I'll probably bring a DE.
Yeah, I just bought a travel toiletries bag. Kinda stupid, as I usually always carry all my stuff in the lovely bride's thingamabob.

Good reminder, thanks. I usually keep my travel kit packed with solid toiletries, but those can go bad too. I should check...

My travel kit is always assembled out of things in my den right before leaving, then put away properly when I get back home!

This is me too. Part of the fun of a trip (assuming there's fun involved) is to think about three, or five, or eight, or 15 or 20 shaves on the road. If there's no fun involved, it's my Karve F open comb plate razor (as I know I can replace it if it's "lost"), Hemingway shaving cream, small synthetic brush, hammered copper bowl, and a two-oz Chatillon Lux aftershave. If I'm doing carry-on, my first stop when I arrive is to drive the rental car to a drug store to buy some overpriced bad blades. Unless I'm visiting family where I keep a stash of blades. If I'm checking my bag, I just throw some blades into my kit before I pack.

I keep a fully stocked and ready-to-go toiletry kit at all times. It includes a travel size can of foam or gel plus an unloaded DE and some store brand Personna blades in the handy dispenser. All I need to do is review the contents briefly before each trip to make sure I have everything I need.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse that that sinking feeling of being unprepared. As for travel, I usually fret about what I will take in my shaving kit more than I worry about flight times, hotels and other such non-essential concerns. I usually start planning my travel kit a week in advance. Hard to believe I know, but it's TRUE.

UGH!! My Dopp kit contains a La Toja stick which works great!

Shaving is tough without a blade!! :a13::a13:

Top Bottom