What's new

Cheapshaver Forum

If I count both TTO and 3-piece they are at least 20 now.

Regarding the TTOs. They still make both the mild ones and the ones with more exposure (even different batches of the same model will differ). With the mild ones it is indeed pretty hard for users with very tough whiskers to get BBS. My first 9306F was bought around 2008 and I struggled for a very long time to get something even close to BBS with my whiskers. Then I bought an Omega S-brush, which gives me closer shaves and that solved the problem. So, I kinda get what @Quaznoid means.
Helpful, thank you. Too bad hardware doesn't have a manufacturing date. Would help us figure out if the root cause of the variability is a less precise manufacturing process or a mix of older and newer inventory floating around the various retailers. I'm happy with the two I have. While I refer to them as moderately aggressive my sense is that on a scale with all DE razors they would lie somewhere in between a mild and moderate rating that happens to work well for me.

Like most other Weish/Van Der Hagen users these Superspeed clones are an excellent value and hold up well. My oldest, that I've had since 2019 and use regularly (2nd tested once and is a backup) cleans up good as new with no signs of any deterioration of the chrome. Also the handle design provides excellent grip with wet hands that is much better than my other razors.

This is the Dollar Tree 3 piece razor I bought last night. I saw a similar Gillette at my local Indian grocery store though they were selling it for 8 USD and the included blades were 7 o'clock blacks instead of this generic Assured stuff. I wonder if the Gillette is made better.

It shaves hyper-aggressively IMO. Cheapsaver way? Definitely.

dollar-tree-razor.jpg

This is the Dollar Tree 3 piece razor I bought last night. I saw a similar Gillette at my local Indian grocery store though they were selling it for 8 USD and the included blades were 7 o'clock blacks instead of this generic Assured stuff. I wonder if the Gillette is made better.

It shaves hyper-aggressively IMO. Cheapsaver way? Definitely.

View attachment 1795753
This baby will tear your face off

I’ll bite. I said before that no one that shaves with a replaceable blade or disposable razor is frugal because King Gillette didn’t design things that way. That’s why you see all those silly glass blade sharpeners and stroppers on eBay, because blades add up..

Gold Dollar 100 straight razor, $4.61 delivered from Temu. You can shave for decades if not the rest of your life with it.
Piece of leather, a dollar or two
Paste, green (CrOx), black, etc. Pennies for years of use.
You’ll need a separate piece of leather for each type of paste that you use, and a clean piece for final stropping

Don’t believe me? Werner Briedenbach, a master Solingen grinder now in his 90s has shaved with the same straight razor and a pasted strop for 40 years. OP and post 14 here:

So for roughly $15 you can shave for the rest of your life with no further hardware investment,

View attachment 1789286
I wish I had these skills to shave with 15 usd

Lord razor thread life can be “extended” by not over tightening it. No need to bear down. Finger tight is tight enough. My L6 is 15 years old and is as good as new. Tremendous value.
'Snug' is the word to say to yourself when tightening a 3-piece razor. Also keep a blob of Vaseline at base of the thread on the top cap it adheres for quite a number of shaves. Similarly Vaseline in the handle thread. Remember the Gillette trick was to back off a tightened razor by a 1/16th of a turn to increase it's efficiency for touch-ups.

Top Bottom