What's new

Cheapshaver Forum

Interesting how there are so many at B&B that love to post about high value/low cost software (soaps, creams and blades) yet not so much on razors with brushes in between.

We see lots of posts from fellow members on great razor blade deals for pennies per blade, plenty of discussion on budget soaps (though this is declining as many have recently been discontinued), and a reasonable level of similar discussion on shaving brushes thanks to the many value priced boars and synthetics out there.

When it comes to razors we see far less conversation on high value products with most posts focused on mid-priced to premium models. Curious if you concur with this and if so why it's so?

Is it because most at B&B are using the mid-range to premium razor hardware or is it that there is just a lot more to talk about regarding these products? What are your thoughts?

I tried it this morning as an experiment. Half of my face with conditioner, the other half with Ivory bar soap. I just used my fingers to spread the sticky layer across my face. I didn't try to work up a lather, assuming that is even possible.

I didn't get good results either way. Both sides seemed slick and provided good protection but the closeness of my shave suffered from it, almost like the stickiness detracted from the sharpness of the blade. Also my hair gunked up and clogged up my razor, forcing a quick rinse and brush before I could resume shaving. I used an aggressive razor, the Fatip Grande.

Anyone experienced this? Seems sub-optimal, but I realize I probably could have done more to improve performance somehow.
The best way to shave with Ivory is to first wash your face and then build lather on the bar with a good shaving brush. Develop the lather further via face lathering. The result is nice and slick though it will dissipate fast. You may end up rebuilding the lather part way through a shaving pass.

If you want an good 100% bath soap shave blend some Dove Men+Care with Ivory. The former creates great resilient lather while Ivory delivers more slickness. Grate the two soaps and mix together. Would recommend a mix of 1/3 Dove and 2/3 Ivory by weight based on my actual experimentation with this (links to my posts on this below). Experiment and see what works best for you.

Dove as a shaving soap? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/dove-as-a-shaving-soap.645283/#post-12432977

The best way to shave with Ivory is to first wash your face and then build lather on the bar with a good shaving brush. Develop the lather further via face lathering. The result is nice and slick though it will dissipate fast. You may end up rebuilding the lather part way through a shaving pass.

If you want an good 100% bath soap shave blend some Dove Men+Care with Ivory. The former creates great resilient lather while Ivory delivers more slickness. Grate the two soaps and mix together. Would recommend a mix of 1/3 Dove and 2/3 Ivory by weight based on my actual experimentation with this (links to my posts on this below). Experiment and see what works best for you.

Dove as a shaving soap? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/dove-as-a-shaving-soap.645283/#post-12432977

Forums in general feed on buying, trying, upgrading type banter. Most people don't want to hear the advice that you can do just as well with a $10 razor and a cheap brush. I've been round enough forums and hobbies to have wanted to expedite the process so I have loved and sought the type of advice that advised to keep it simple and avoid "upgrading". Vicious cycle that tends to be usually. I've gotten through this gauntlet relatively unscathed, and at this point I mainly check in to see if anyone wants to buy my last two razors. I haven't fallen IN LOVE with shaving like I originally thought I was. I'm back to knocking it out pretty quick with one with the grain pass and moving on with life. I do appreciate finding cheap blades that will last me a loooooooooong time and a solid little razor that I don't have to worry about.

Last edited:

Indeed. Since 2024 started all I have used for shaving soap is Ivory. I have gotten a lot better at making lather since I first wrote that. Combined with hair conditioner in the shower, Ivory is quite adequate for my face if utilitarian in mood. I did this frankly to understand shaving better as a newbie.

Thanks for the link. I'll glean from it surely.

Interesting how there are so many at B&B that love to post about high value/low cost software (soaps, creams and blades) yet not so much on razors with brushes in between.

We see lots of posts from fellow members on great razor blade deals for pennies per blade, plenty of discussion on budget soaps (though this is declining as many have recently been discontinued), and a reasonable level of similar discussion on shaving brushes thanks to the many value priced boars and synthetics out there.

When it comes to razors we see far less conversation on high value products with most posts focused on mid-priced to premium models. Curious if you concur with this and if so why it's so?

Is it because most at B&B are using the mid-range to premium razor hardware or is it that there is just a lot more to talk about regarding these products? What are your thoughts?

That's a good question. I'm not sure that's actually true but it might be.

My guess is if it is true it's a hardware-software distinction. Blades aren't soft but they're consumable, whereas razors and brushes are durable goods. So the things you don't consume are seen, rightly or wrongly, as something that's worth investing more money into, because you could easily have them for decades in theory. The extra 200 USD for a more expensive razor is 10/year if you use it for 20 years. Soaps and blades you have to replenish so it's an ongoing cost.

I don't know. The more I think about it the less it makes sense to me in some ways. In some ways you'd think people would be the opposite because, with certain important exceptions, there's probably less difference in absolute cost between expensive blades and soaps and more expensive versions.

As for bath soaps I tried Kiehl's soap recently because it was almost the same ingredients as MDC. I thought it was a little thin but still worked well; I would definitely use it again.

I have found that almost any glycerine bar soap works well for shaving, since they lay a super slick foundation of soap for shaving. I typically use one, when I shave quickly in the shower. Just rub it all over a wet face, and you are prepared for a great shave. I prefer a super lightweight razor. The Gillette Super Blue has nearly the same weight as my 1951 Bakelite handle Tech, and they shave nearly identically. Very easy to maneuver, great for under the nose, and you can adjust the angle and pressure for a BBS shave every time.

I have found that almost any glycerine bar soap works well for shaving, since they lay a super slick foundation of soap for shaving. I typically use one, when I shave quickly in the shower. Just rub it all over a wet face, and you are prepared for a great shave. I prefer a super lightweight razor. The Gillette Super Blue has nearly the same weight as my 1951 Bakelite handle Tech, and they shave nearly identically. Very easy to maneuver, great for under the nose, and you can adjust the angle and pressure for a BBS shave every time.

Yes I'm increasingly of the impression that glycerine content (either explicitly mentioned in the label or not) is a major indicator of soap shaving performance.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ll bite. I said before that no one that shaves with a replaceable blade or disposable razor is frugal because King Gillette didn’t design things that way. That’s why you see all those silly glass blade sharpeners and stroppers on eBay, because blades add up..

Gold Dollar 100 straight razor, $4.61 delivered from Temu. You can shave for decades if not the rest of your life with it.
Piece of leather, a dollar or two
Paste, green (CrOx), black, etc. Pennies for years of use.
You’ll need a separate piece of leather for each type of paste that you use, and a clean piece for final stropping

Don’t believe me? Werner Briedenbach, a master Solingen grinder now in his 90s has shaved with the same straight razor and a pasted strop for 40 years. OP and post 14 here:

So for roughly $15 you can shave for the rest of your life with no further hardware investment,

IMG_0323.jpeg

I’ll bite. I said before that no one that shaves with a replaceable blade or disposable razor is frugal because King Gillette didn’t design things that way. That’s why you see all those silly glass blade sharpeners and stroppers on eBay, because blades add up..

Gold Dollar 100 straight razor, $4.61 delivered from Temu. You can shave for decades if not the rest of your life with it.
Piece of leather, a dollar or two
Paste, green (CrOx), black, etc. Pennies for years of use.
You’ll need a separate piece of leather for each type of paste that you use, and a clean piece for final stropping

Don’t believe me? Werner Briedenbach, a master Solingen grinder now in his 90s has shaved with the same straight razor and a pasted strop for 40 years. OP and post 14 here:

So for roughly $15 you can shave for the rest of your life with no further hardware investment,

View attachment 1789286
It is easy to get 20-25 shaves with a DE blade. That means 15 blades per year or 2 USD per year.I wish I could learnt to maintain the edge with a strop plus paste. I tried it for some time but it wasn't that fun for as a newbie on straight edge...

There is one "sickness" that we have as humans. We spend to feel good and achieve things or we don't spend money to feel good about achieving things on less than usual.

I spent hundreds of dollars to learn that I can shave cheaper and better with a DE/ SE/ GEM blade. Ironically found out recently that I could get great shave with a cartridge like Bic Metal.

Was my inital investment worthy? Nobody knows, me myself. Sure someone would call me crazy to buy a razor over 100 usd, but if they do it I am ready show some forum post here to cover me up. :) If Mr. Werner Briedenbach was part of this forum he would have bough Japanese stones for his straigh razors.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ironically found out recently that I could get great shave with a cartridge like Bic Metal.

Ha, I used a Bic Metal and a Redken Amino Pon bar for decades during my working years. The first 3 shaves or so were pretty good from the Bic Metal, but it dropped off quickly. I still use one to shave the back of my neck.

It wasn’t what I’d call cheap though, unless maybe I bought them by the box at a discount.

My first razor was a Lord

My first razor was a Lord L6. It did fine. I think I paid around $6-$7 for it over 10 years ago.

I have many razors I prefer to it. Mostly because I just prefer a heavier razor.

That said, in my current collection I have a number of razors that cost around $10 that are enjoyable to use, and provide shaves almost as good ( or better ) than my $50 razors.

It is easy to get 20-25 shaves with a DE blade. That means 15 blades per year or 2 USD per year.I wish I could learnt to maintain the edge with a strop plus paste. I tried it for some time but it wasn't that fun for as a newbie on straight edge...

There is one "sickness" that we have as humans. We spend to feel good and achieve things or we don't spend money to feel good about achieving things on less than usual.

I spent hundreds of dollars to learn that I can shave cheaper and better with a DE/ SE/ GEM blade. Ironically found out recently that I could get great shave with a cartridge like Bic Metal.

Was my inital investment worthy? Nobody knows, me myself. Sure someone would call me crazy to buy a razor over 100 usd, but if they do it I am ready show some forum post here to cover me up. :) If Mr. Werner Briedenbach was part of this forum he would have bough Japanese stones for his straigh razors.
Do you have any suggestions for how to get 20-25 shaves from a DE blade? I currently get two, and if I try for a third it is a tuggy, rough shave that leaves irritation.

Do you have any suggestions for how to get 20-25 shaves from a DE blade? I currently get two, and if I try for a third it is a tuggy, rough shave that leaves irritation.
You'll have to read through this thread and decide which of the techniques you want to try for yourself: Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/excalibur-club-blade-longevity-de-se-and-injector.431416/

Myself I am trying to use short strokes at a shallow angle of cutting. I also make an effort to soften my whiskers first by showering and washing my face, and I use hair conditioner on my facial hair. There are many other opinions though so read the thread a bit at a time if you're interested.

I just got 24 shaves with a Super-Max blade. I will be using a Feather blade for all this month. I usually get 10-14 shaves but now I believe 20-25 should be common.

I could share only the lessons I have learned which are :

1. The edge is not dead if your mind says so. Find the right blade angle that is working and try to keep it.
2. Use the lightest touch possible on your razor when you shave. Fewer passes possible.
3. A thin and liquid foam helps always.
4. Have fun.

Join the Excalibur brotherhood to get inspired on your question.

I just got 24 shaves with a Super-Max blade. I will be using a Feather blade for all this month. I usually get 10-14 shaves but now I believe 20-25 should be common.

I could share only the lessons I have learned which are :

1. The edge is not dead if your mind says so. Find the right blade angle that is working and try to keep it.
2. Use the lightest touch possible on your razor when you shave. Fewer passes possible.
3. A thin and liquid foam helps always.
4. Have fun.

Join the Excalibur brotherhood to get inspired on your question.
I gather the advice to be "keep using the same blade." I've never had much luck with that, but I might try just to see how it goes. I'd imagine there is a YMMV aspect to this. When I was younger and on a tighter budget, I used to push cartridges beyond the point of achieving a reasonable shave. I remember dreading shaving because the dull cartridge felt like it was almost pulling hairs out instead of cutting them. Eventually, the dull razor would provide a shave, but it was so time-consuming and uncomfortable it was not enjoyable. I will give a Feather I have used twice another try to see how it goes. However, I was hoping for some sort of stropping technique, not "just persevere."

I gather the advice to be "keep using the same blade." I've never had much luck with that, but I might try just to see how it goes. I'd imagine there is a YMMV aspect to this. When I was younger and on a tighter budget, I used to push cartridges beyond the point of achieving a reasonable shave. I remember dreading shaving because the dull cartridge felt like it was almost pulling hairs out instead of cutting them. Eventually, the dull razor would provide a shave, but it was so time-consuming and uncomfortable it was not enjoyable. I will give a Feather I have used twice another try to see how it goes. However, I was hoping for some sort of stropping technique, not "just persevere."
I don't think that stropping a de blade helps that much in getting more shaves. Some people use and dry the blade. I don't know.

I think a fresh de blades gives excellent shave during the first attempts and then we get used to that. After that it is a bit of work to get nice shaves but it becomes natural after a bit of usage. There are members here that get over 100 shaves out of a blade.

I don't think that stropping a de blade helps that much in getting more shaves. Some people use and dry the blade. I don't know.

I think a fresh de blades gives excellent shave during the first attempts and then we get used to that. After that it is a bit of work to get nice shaves but it becomes natural after a bit of usage. There are members here that get over 100 shaves out of a blade.
In twelve years of wet shaving, I have purchased blades twice. Those were bulk purchases, and while not free, the use I get from them makes the cost irrelevant. However, I will try to extend the life of the Feather blade I used recently and see how it goes. But I'm unsure how much I want to "work" to make the blade last. It is an interesting conversation. It seems impossible to believe I could get 100 shaves from a blade, but for those that do, hats off to you!

In twelve years of wet shaving, I have purchased blades twice. Those were bulk purchases, and while not free, the use I get from them makes the cost irrelevant. However, I will try to extend the life of the Feather blade I used recently and see how it goes. But I'm unsure how much I want to "work" to make the blade last. It is an interesting conversation. It seems impossible to believe I could get 100 shaves from a blade, but for those that do, hats off to you!
I understand you completely. It just shaving at the end.

After shifting to wetter and slicker lather I found that my blade longevity increased by up to 50%. This won't take you from 2 to 25 but may help. Blade sharpness is also a factor. The sharpest blades, with the narrowest cutting edge angle like the Feather blades you use, don't tend to provide as many shaves as other blades. Many B&Bers only realize a couple of shaves from Feather blades. Again you need to look at this in light of your beard characteristics, if you need a really sharp blade for a good shave changing blades might not be the best option.

Top Bottom