What's new

Cheap shaver thread.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
After a month and 10 days of excellent service, I replaced my Crystal with another because it was no longer providing a smooth and effortless BBS or was at least showing enough minor pulling (ATG upper lip) that it seemed I had gotten my 12 cents out of it and needed to move on.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Although I do have my share of expensive double edge razor blades, I'm finding some very good inexpensive blades that can be had for slightly less than $7 for a hundred. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades and the Shark blades and some of the Lord blades are real bargains...good blades.

And yes, there's Arko...quality soap at a bargain basement price.

For aftershave I'd go with something like Lustray Spice or Blue Spice or even a gallon of Gabels Bay Rum.

Plenty of inexpensive synthetic brushes out there.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A nice set up for folks who don't want a hobby but want a decent inexpensive shave with reasonable quality is something I have concluded over the years of buying shave gear as a hobby (retired) would be.
Razor: Razorock SLOC , tame mid range, comes with a stainless steel handle $20 US
Soap: Speick stick soap, Triple milled, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities & lasts. $6 US
Brush: Razorock or Yaqi 24 mm tuxedo knot synthetic, excellent lather generator, soft tips, nice gentle scrub + good painter. $10 US
Blades: Gillette Astra SP 100pc , sharp & smooth $10 US
Post shave: Alum block or Pinaud aftershaves $3-6 US.
Total = $ 50.00 US approximately and this is good gear and not cheap stuff to turn folks off of traditional shaving IMO.
If a person wants to upgrade the sky is the limit but the costs tend to go upwards accordingly.
If a person wants to save additional money you could shave your head or buy some clippers for around $40 and really save some serious money for more shave gear like I did :a22:.

Last edited:
How low can you go ;)

P&G China Super Blue Tech EUR 2.75
Omega S10065 EUR 5.90
Palmolive EUR 0.99
100 Personna Platinums EUR 9.97
Omega Alum 60g EUR 2.55
Brut AS 2.95
Total EUR 25.11 USD 28.66
7861435A-CD39-44AC-9962-7C5626D304E9.jpeg

What a fun thread! I wish I found it sooner! As the son of a Yankee engineer, I grew up with the lifestyle of balancing quality vs cost.
Well I didn´t grow up the son of a Yankee engineer, but my folks imparted quality/durability/cost are all variables in value. I too find the thread intriguing.

So sought a shaving forum´s help (I believe B&B but not 100%) years and years ago. Times and money were tight back in ´08 and I was looking to save money. I researched pretty in depth and I will say the myriad of options touted on the forum were kind of mind boggling. At the end of the day I just picked a cheap Parker razor, 100 pack of Derby extras, the cheapest boar brush I could find, and a tub of Proraso. I think I dropped about $70 or so on the whole setup. I shaved for 10 years with that setup, and I found that the shaves were amazing, which was a good think because not liking it wasn´t an option. It was a mindset, I was committed to using this gear for at least 2 years (far enough past break even that it was easily justified).

Looking back, I do remember that options and suggestions were all over the map. Saving money was the ultimate goal, but I wanted to get good enough gear that I didn´t hate it either. I think it´s possible that the beginner seeking to save money may be turned off with the array of possibilities more than spending a bit of money. I know it´s easy to drop over $60 a year on most mainstream modern Gillette cartridge systems and canned goop. That´s how I would frame it to the new guys. Basically spend a touch over a years shaving budget up front, but get a razor that will last a lifetime (there are tons of options in the $25-$30 razor range), a brush and enough blades that will last years, and enough soap to make it through that year. Once that year is over, all they need to buy is soap for a good few years. I know 100 Derby extra blades lasted me forever. I could make one blade last a month.

I guess I could see where some guys are apprehensive on dropping $80 bucks on gear to wet shave with. Maybe there is value in ¨try this route for $30 bucks just to see if you like it.¨ We already have the newbie check in forum too, which is an excellent place for guys to ask questions related to gear... whether the focus be on cheap, higher quality, or solid good value choices.

Recommendation for a budget starter set:

DE Budget Shaving Starter Set Example

Weishi Long Handle 9306 chrome butterfly razor: $13
Razorock Monster synthetic brush:-------------- $9 ($13 regular price)
Omega 10049 or Razorock Blondie boar brush-- 9-$12
Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Soap ----------------$4
Williams Mug Soap (local grocery)------------------$1
100 Astra SP or Dorco Stainless Blades ------------7-$9
Coffee Mug from your kitchen --------------------- $0
Total $43 - $48

Add 2 - 3 replenishment soaps and one gets a years worth of shaving for roughly $50.

While one could drop a soap and brush to be close to $30 the advantage of the above combo is that it provides a chance to compare a hard tallow soap with a non-tallow alternative. Purchasing quality low cost synthetic and boar shaving brushes provides the tools to get the best out of any shaving soap or cream. If Williams is not locally available then Arko is a great option.

Gillette NEW $5 (lot of 6 vintage Gillettes for $30)
Yaqi Purple Haze Synthetic $7.50 (was $15 but didn't arrive after 2 months, they sent me a replacement and both showed up 3 days apart)
Arko $3/stick
Voskhod $9/100
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue $5

I really enjoyed this thread!! Would there be any interest in a SOTD type thread?
We have Tallow Tabac Tuesdays, Wolfman Wednesdays maybe a Thrifty Thursdays or Frugal Fridays?

Top Bottom