What's new

Charcoal Grills

So what do you guys (and gals) like to cook on your grill? My wife loves a cut of meat so secretive, that were I to reveal it, well, let's just say I could try out for the boy's choir.:001_tt1:

A nice salmon fillet is hard to beat, and healthy to boot. Other than that, whole chickens, pork loin, home-made brats, and porterhouse steaks top the list. Brisket is tremendous on the grill dome, as are memphis style baby back ribs. For the holidays, a smoked turkey. I also like to make and smoke my own Ukrainian style kielbasa which blows any of the mass produced sausages out of the water. Rustic breads are also excellent in the grill dome.:drool:

High heat: Nothing beats a big-*** Porterhouse seared to perfection. Some tomato and onion with Peter Luger sauce on the side.

Low and slow: ribs and all their brethren.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
High heat: Nothing beats a big-*** Porterhouse seared to perfection. Some tomato and onion with Peter Luger sauce on the side.

Low and slow: ribs and all their brethren.

I work near Peter Luger's. I'm not a porterhouse guy, but they're a totally unique, old school steak house that has no competition for what they do.

I think they're there since the 1800's, and they look it.

I work near Peter Luger's. I'm not a porterhouse guy, but they're a totally unique, old school steak house that has no competition for what they do.

I think they're there since the 1800's, and they look it.
My father-in-law lives on Long Island. We just might have to pay him a visit and take him out to dinner. :)

I have not been satisfied with the new improved Kingsford charcoal. I have a small Lodge cast iron grill, the round one, and the new Kingsford is not as hot. I like my steak chared on the outside and rare inside. Some call that style 'Pittsburg'.
I also do a fair amount of dutch oven cooking with charcoal. There is nothing you can't cook in a cast iron dutch oven, as long as it fits inside!
The BGE is a fantistic product, but I can't justify spending that much.
I now use a Holland gas grill and have been very pleased.

edit: real coal is great, but there are some draw backs i have found when trying to slow roast, mostly due to traditional coal burning hotter, more irregular heat throw, and ash becoming an issue blowing around as compared to high quality briquettes. For kabobs and open top grilling, I do use coal though as it gets rip roaring hot and perfect for 5-10 minute blasts. (and then a hookah, if you like :)

That's where ceramic dome cookers really shine. You can use natural lump charcoal even for low and slow, because by controlling the air flow, you can limit combustion and heat. Real charcoal produces less ash than briquettes because they don't have fillers and binders and other mystery chemicals, just charred wood.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
For charcoal grills (if we aren't too far off the main subject), I prefer my Weber Kettle. Buttttttttttt, I'm getting ready to fire up my Coleman 2000 Gas Grill that I bought oddly enough in the year 2000 at Lowe's. It is a substantial cooker that is about to receive some Ribeyes that might become Fajitas. It's only 32 degrees outside so my wife thinks I'm crazy but I grill all year round.

So what do you guys (and gals) like to cook on your grill?

I've done all kinds of things on the BGE, but here are the ones that consistently get good reviews at my house:

Pork Tenderloin - Dry rubbed in Dizzy Pig or Ragin' River rub from http://www.dizzypigbbq.com. Excellent and so very easy to do. Cook time is about 45 minutes at 350. Just long enough to prepare everything else.

Pulled pork - Another opportunity for a Dizzy Pig rub on a pork shoulder. Smoked at 225 degrees overnight until internal temp of 200 degrees. Never yet had one of these turn out badly, but you must plan ahead for these 18-20 hour cooks. Awesome for parties because the cooking is done ahead of time. (Bonus: When you pull it before serving, the smell makes everyone hungry.)

T-Bone steaks - Seared at nuclear temps on both sides, rest for 20 minutes, then back on the grill. Flip only once. Great, but you have to pay attention not to overcook.

Pizza - My personal favorite. Whether you're using storebought crusts topped at home or going from scratch, nothing makes a pizza like a wood fired oven. Even storebought frozen pizza can be pretty darn tasty done this way. That extra smokey goodness doesn't come from your regular old oven. You need a pizza stone and some firebricks. You don't want the pizza in direct heat.

"Ribeyes that might become fajitas".
I hope these suckers were not really good!
A moment of silence please, as we morn the demise of fine meat.

ouch

"Ribeyes that might become fajitas".
I hope these suckers were not really good!
A moment of silence please, as we morn the demise of fine meat.

Why? A fajita isn't an enchilada.

Instead of picking up a slice of meat with a fork and eating it, what's wrong with wrapping it in a tortilla and taking a bite? Better meat makes better fajitas (and diaphragm/skirt makes the best).

Would you say a steak was ruined if it were prepared au poivre? Entrecote bernaise? Tournedos Rossini?

Edit: I should mention that I agree with your basic premise. If I go to a steak house that serves you a steak already sliced, as is common with big porterhouses, I feel as if I'm getting baby food.

I'm in limbo. My apartment complex does not allow charcoal grills, and I won't buy a gas grill that someone could lift off my patio.

Randy

Check this out. http://www.ntscblog.com/2005/07/little-brown-egg-i-condo-q.html NG for grilling (hi temp, searing, etc.) but - especially for anyone on a budget - this is one AWESOME way to cook lo 'n slow! About $70 for all the parts. This blog was put together by a guy who couldn't grill in his condo either. He calls the thing his "Condo-Q". Originally seen on Good Eats - Alton strikes again!

This thing really is terrific! I've cooked 9 lb pork butts, bb ribs, whole chickens, beef brisket and turkey breasts. Anywhere from 3-14 hours depending on what you're cooking. Fall off the bone tender! Very little babysitting, unlike with charcoal. Basically, one handful of hickory (or whatever) chips lasts for an hour. The pie plate will hold 4-5 handsful so you can run all your Sat morning errands and then add some more as needed. Haven't tried it, but you could probably crank it up on your way to bed and add more chips in the morning - handy if you're cooking a large butt (12-14 hrs).

The best part for me is that, I can use it in my fireplace! No worries about Q'ing in the dead of a Connecticut winter. It's a wood fire (not charcoal) after all, and as long as your chimney draws well, your bedroom won't smell like pulled pork. Mine maintains a constant temp, right around 200-225, depending on rheostat setting and that's perfect for Q.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE mine! Even put one together for my brother for Christmas! Oh yeah, I didn't bother with the external controls described in the blog. So far, all is well. Enjoy!

Ouch, I just prefer my steak to be a slab of meat lightly warmed over a hot rock and in one piece, cold in the middle, sometimes chared on the outside. Purely personal preferrence. Tartar is fine, just don't over cook it or contaminate it with sauces and other stuff. I could tell a story about stolen steaks at a firebase in Viet Nam sometime.
I guess I'm a steak snob.:wink:

John

just to throw this in here...i put two red bricks (with holes in them) end to end and lying on the side....they mark a 25/75 division...i put a chimney full of charcoal in the pocket and fill it up with more unlit charcoal and sometimes some soaked wood chips....

sometimes i use a sauce pan and sometimes not....i can control this sucker just like a smoker and put out some good stuff.....

i know they sell dividers, but the bricks allows some heat to be transferred through the holes, too.

just a thought.....Lawd I love to cook like this....

mark tssb

ouch

Ouch, I just prefer my steak to be a slab of meat lightly warmed over a hot rock and in one piece, cold in the middle, sometimes chared on the outside. Purely personal preferrence. Tartar is fine, just don't over cook it or contaminate it with sauces and other stuff. I could tell a story about stolen steaks at a firebase in Viet Nam sometime.
I guess I'm a steak snob.:wink:

John

The best expression I've heard for that is-

just walk it through a warm room.

:biggrin:

Oh, and if like it cooked on a rock, try Megu- they cook kobe beef on a river rock right at your table.

I did a lovely pork loin roast tonight on the Weber gas grill--just to an internal temp of 150. Rubbed with olive oil, garlic, salt, rosemary, pepper, lemon peel.

Very nice indeed.

Top Bottom