What's new

Charcoal Goods - Is it a "rigid blade" design?

If you have 1/4" of blade exposure, that will be less rigid than if you have 1/8" of blade exposure. The closer the blade is clamped to the edge, the more rigid that edge will be.
No Cino is right, distance from clamping to edge does not equal exposure, and I stand by my comment that exposure (relationship to shave plane) does not determine rigidity.

Jim you really shouldn't say exposure if you mean reveal or cap span, it makes discussion very confusing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Both sketches show identical clamp distance and blade reveal and indicate identical blade stiffness, yet very different blade exposure.

Screenshot_20180522-125847_1527008630950.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do you mean blade exposure or blade reveal?

I havent mentioned blade reveal or cap span simply because it has no bearing on the point I'm attempting to make.

Again, see the Wolfman below.

WolfmanWR1.png

It has equal support for the blade both above and below. It is quite literally a vise, exerting equal pressure from above and below the blade at equal points. The bearing surfaces are the same above and below the blade. Lessen one or both and you lessen the rigidity of the blade. Increase one or both and you increase the rigidity of the blade. Byproducts of either change arent in question.

We dont need to complicate matters by making design geometry more complex than it needs to be. The simple fact is the Wolfman above is a more rigid design than an EJ, Merkur, whatever. How it achieves that rigidity is clear, at least to me.

Now let me tell you about gap and how it affects my shaves lol.

br9m1.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I havent mentioned blade reveal or cap span simply because it has no bearing on the point I'm attempting to make.

View attachment 885271

It has equal support for the blade both above and below. It is quite literally a vise, exerting equal pressure from above and below the blade at equal points. The bearing surfaces are the same above and below the blade. Lessen one or both and you lessen the rigidity of the blade. Increase one or both and you increase the rigidity of the blade. Byproducts of either change arent in question.

We dont need to complicate matters by making design geometry more complex than it needs to be. The simple fact is the Wolfman above is a more rigid design than an EJ, Merkur, whatever. How it achieves that rigidity is clear, at least to me.

View attachment 885277

Where it is clamped is the big deal...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very interesting thread (especially for non-engineers like me)!

You're also a Wolfman user. I'm curious, have you used a less rigid design and if you have, how would you compare the smoothness of both?

You're also a Wolfman user. I'm curious, have you used a less rigid design and if you have, how would you compare the smoothness of both?

I have used a fair number of different razors. My best results come with mild/moderate razors and I prefer three-piece designs.

For me the Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle has been a game changer! I like the rigid clamp and quality construction. The WR1 is simply smoother and more consistent than anything else I have tried.

I got rid of everything else except my travel razor (a Lord L6 that would not break my heart if forgotten in a hotel room)!

View attachment 885271

View attachment 885277
As you probably noticed, when you set aside the curvy design doo-dads on the Karve plates, the clamping mechanism there is much the same (as is the negative exposure). As you pointed out the bottom plate for whatever reason doesn't extend support beyond the cap edge like the Wolfman. The bend is also a little more severe in the Karve (the blade sits flatter between the clamping). However it's done people who have both razors note the similarity in the feel of the shave.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
However it's done people who have both razors note the similarity in the feel of the shave.

Yeah I'm not surprised judging from the pics you posted in the other thread. Its a nice razor and looks to be a solid design.

I really wish someone would make an exact copy of the Gillette Single and/or Double ring. CNC brass or stainless would make for one nice razor, and I suspect they'd sell a boat load of them, especially at the price of the Karve. I'd buy one.

Yeah I'm not surprised judging from the pics you posted in the other thread. Its a nice razor and looks to be a solid design.

I really wish someone would make an exact copy of the Gillette Single and/or Double ring. CNC brass or stainless would make for one nice razor, and I suspect they'd sell a boat load of them, especially at the price of the Karve. I'd buy one.
Well while you wait..get yourself a Bulldog and a Leresche 51 just to mix things up a bit.

M

member 119848

Would be fun to listen in on actual engineers addressing actual engineering problems and read their published and replicated results. But the subjective shave den chatter is also fun.
Yes, but I´m sure there are more competant razor hobby–engineers in this forum, than there are at Gillette´s headquarters :001_smile

Top Bottom