What's new

Challenge PIF - Astra Superior Stainless Blades - Then And Now

For the second shave with each of the Astras I switched them: the contemporary blade in the Muhle R89 and the older blade in the Gillette Heritage.

Results were the same: Just a hint of resistance with the vintage Astra. It’s no different than many modern blades in this respect, and it’s not a problem, in that the results—closeness and lack of irritation—are still excellent.

But the new Astra really impresses me. I’m looking forward to comparing it head to head with my favorites, once I’m done with this challenge.

Astra Old Style Blade #1 Shave #4
Tools used: Lupo Razor, Sheep Soap & Plissoft Brush
Got a nice close smooth shave this A.M.
The Astra Vintage blade is starting to slow down at stubble removal though. :eek:
As usual no nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:

First vintage blade, shave #1. I used a Slim adjustable on setting 5, which I will use for the new blade as well for the next few shaves. I did my normal 2 pass plus touch ups. Not having used any non current production blades to date, and very few not made by p&g in Russia, I was unsure what to expect. It seemed to pull just a tiny bit on the first pass where my stubble is the most dense, but faster strokes with more “intention” seemed to mitigate that. Second pass, mostly ATG was smoother. Overall, I was impressed with the performance and results. No nicks or weepers, DFS+. I’ll come back if I have any more thoughts.

F45B2AB5-C673-4C63-B363-87EFA6B1AAE0.jpeg

ThunderDome Challenge, ‘Two Blades Enter, One Blade Leaves!’

Purpose:
To pick a winner, no ties allowed!

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Not exactly ‘scientific’ but this is the best I can do these days!

Results:

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9.5

Discussion: This blade is off to a very good start!!

Vintage Astra Superior Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #2

TL;DR -
hmmm, a regular shave with a mid-tier blade

Equipment: Gillette Slim on 4, vintage Astra SS blade (2), PdP 63 shave soap, GrayDog GreyWolf brush

Results: well that was disappointing, I was so hoping that shave#2 would be better then shave#1. But this morning's shave felt like a regular shave with a mid-tier blade. Usually, for me, shave#2 is better than shave#1, face stropping the blade into its optimal shave readiness. With only 2 days' growth, there was some tugging on the WTG pass; however, the ATG pass was smooth and effortless. PdP 63 does whip up into a nice slick lather, so it was blade versus whiskers...and...and...it was normal.

Shave #2

Used my 46/47 Aristocrat this time

Only one days growth this time and shaved post shower

Tugging wasn't an issue this time with the vintage but the modern was still just a tad bit smoother - particularly on the ATG pass

So far 2-0 for the modern but the vintage isn't a bad shave by any stretch

I'm going to start tomorrow.

Interestingly, seeing pictures of the blades, mine are printed different and the card in the tuck is in Czech. I translated it to the same meaning. I hope my "playing along" is actually using the same blades!

Astra SS classic, shave #1, Gillette Tech, Palmolive classic creme:

proxy.php

Today was the first day of the comparison. I have decided to use the same razor all week, so I can compare them as good as possible. Today I used the classic blade. The last 2 days I had been using the green Astra SP. This one gave me more sound (audible feedback), and more blade feel. Pretty good shave, though down in my neck there was a bit of rash. Aftershave gave a bit of a sting, but nothing bad.

One thing I do not like with all Astra blades, is the sticky stuff on the wrappers, I am always fiddling with unwrapping the blades. Completely not necessary I think?

First current blade, shave #1, again using a Gillette Slim on setting 5. Honestly, it kinda felt about the same. If anything the modern blade is a tiny bit sharper, or at least it didn’t offer the initial resistance that the vintage blade did. However, it was not quite as smooth ATG as the vintage blade. I might just be splitting hairs. Results were about the same, DFS+, though I did get a little irritation on my upper lip. That may be user error more than blade related.

First shave with current Astra SS. Blade was fine. Perfectly acceptable first shave with no wow factor and no urges to bin. I can shave with just about anything for 3-4 shaves so I don’t tend to judge until end of first week. I’ve not used my old go to SP in a while and should have used one prior to starting this challenge.

Astra old style blade #1 Shave #5
Tools used: Lupo Razor, Arko & plissoft brush
Another close smooth shave this A.M. But the blade is still slowing down some more. I think I can make it to X7 shaves though.
No nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:
Even though the Vintage blade is 30 years old its shaving like my new Astra SP stock of which I get X7 shaves with as well.

Wait, I'm concerned. Do we have something approaching consensus on at least the vintage blade? Has that ever happened before here on B&B? I'm so accustomed not just to YMMV but to Your Mileage Will Absolutely Vary that I'm a bit stunned.

Shave 3 with vintage blade 1 this morning, loaded into the Gillette Heritage, using Proraso White administered with a big Omega boar: Definitely a bit tuggy, still, so probably not just a thick coating issue. This blade is fine. If I had to shave with nothing but these I'd be ok. But not a desert island choice given its missing that degree of sharpness that adds extra enjoyment to the depilation process.

I've never been a huge fan of the Astra SP and I'm thinking these vintage Astra SS may have more in common with the modern SPs than the modern SSs. More comparisons await.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shave #3

Left side of face: Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 Stainless head / Brass Magnum Handle - Modern Blade

Right side of face: Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 all Copper / Copper Magnum Hamdle - Vintage Blade

For today’s shave I kept one blade and razor combo on each side of my face for all three passes. These razors are almost exactly the same with exception of the metals used. The brass/stainless combo weights nearly the same as the copper. This shave gave me a clear picture of the overall shave closeness versus switching sides like the past two shaves.

Pass one, WTG, very smooth on each blade. Pass two XTG was again quite smooth on each blade. Except I got a little weeper on the left side of my neck from the modern blade. Pass three ATG was not as smooth as the first two passes, but there was a serious reduction in WTG roughness from the past two shaves. I was ready to bin these blades after the last shave, but pressed on. Glad I did. Both blades handled well for this third shave.

The tell of the tale is in the results however. So I waited about 3 hours to post this. On shave completion, the results on each side were comparable. Solid 3 pass DFS+ with no touch ups. After three hours, though, the left Modern side is showing some minor stubble on the neck, whereas the right Vintage side still maintains a more stubble free feel.

So, the results of this shave... Shave comfort goes to the vintage blade by a slight margin. I got a little weeper from the modern blade. The vintage blade also edges out the modern blade in the shave result category, due to the fact that the shave results were apparently closer judging the stubble after three hours.

Standings: Shave 1 - modern; shave 2 - modern; shave 3 - vintage. So far the modern is still in the lead by a hair.

Next shave I will change blades and razors. I was thinking of using two identical Tech or NEW razors for the next set of shaves. Which would you guys rather see?

ThunderDome Challenge, ‘Two Blades Enter, One Blade Leaves!’

Purpose:
To pick a winner, no ties allowed!

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Not exactly ‘scientific’ but this is the best I can do these days!

Results:

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 10

Discussion: This is either a very fine blade or it is a freak! But it has been excellent so far!!

I used my first vintage blade this morning. Being as they are not part of the PIF, I hope it is the same blade. They are printed differently, but are definitely vintage Czechoslovakian made Astra stainless.

I used a Roman Empire Caesar. I just got this razor last week and have only used one other blade in it. Used my daily unknown boar brush and Indian Old Spice lather, finished with "smells like" Old Spice AS.

The shave was great. Actually it was so easy I got careless and got myself on my chin. I really love a blade that doesn't have to "break in" and shaves fine right out of the box.

Vintage Astra Superior Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #3

TL;DR -
another ok shave, some tugging WTG, smooth ATG

Equipment: Merkur 20, vintage Astra SS blade (3), Tabac shave stick, GrayDog GreyWolf brush

Results: shave #3 was about the same as shave #2. I changed out the razor for my daily driver but that did not effect performance or results. There was some tugging on the WTG pass, smooth on the ATG pass, resulting in a DFS shave.

Tugging Note: for me, tugging does not equal roughness. When I report tugging, it means that the blade isn't easily cutting the whiskers so there is some sensation of hair pulling. For me, roughness is how the blade effects my skin, whether not at all or causes redness or worse. So the vintage are tugging but not causing any issues with my skin.

Tugging Note: for me, tugging does not equal roughness. When I report tugging, it means that the blade isn't easily cutting the whiskers so there is some sensation of hair pulling. For me, roughness is how the blade effects my skin, whether not at all or causes redness or worse. So the vintage are tugging but not causing any issues with my skin.

Thanks, Grundi, for stating this so well. That's how I feel about these Vintage Astras: A bit of tugging, but no resulting irritation. I'm downgrading them a bit of that, because I'd prefer no tugging at all. However, my overall best shaves these days are coming from the Blackland Vector, which shaves closer and more comfortably than anything else I've tried. And it too tugs, with any of the Artist Club blades I've tried, and it tugs much more than these DE Astras.

But with other blades/razors, tugging and irritation can go hand in hand, although I'm no longer willing to say there's a correlation. I still have much to learn.

Shave #1 Modern Astra
So I made sure to use the same set up. A Gillette English flat bottom tech loaded with the new Astra Stainless modern blade. My lather was the same, SV Dolomiti, Paladin brush and Captain's North aftershave. Other than printing, I noticed there were heavier glue dots on this blade. That could simply be because the older blade has had time for the glue to evaporate. That said, I noticed the shave felt much smoother from the outset. The rough feeling I complained about with the vintage blade was nowhere to be felt. I shaved quickly, gliding over my face and head effortlessly and completed my 2 passes I thought these were definite victors over the vintage. Wrong! I rate my shave about 1-2 hours following when I get to work. I sit down at my desk and open my Shave Buddy app to record that mornings ablutions and rate them. I ran my hand over the back of my head and was astonished at how rough it still was. The vintage blade gave me a near BBS with only moderate grit from the blade. This had none of the grit, but I believe was not as sharp.

Tomorrow the vintage is back up in a Lupo .95

Just received my blades today. I have a vintage Astra loaded in my Pearl Flexi since that is the blade I am not familiar with. I figured that starting off with an adjustable razor will give me an idea of how the blade performs under different settings. Tomorrow to make thing even, I will load the modern Astra in the Flexi and go through the same routine. After that, I have identified three razors that are identical and will shave one half of my face with the vintage and the other half with the modern Astra for comparison. The three razors I have set for the comparison is a Coles and slants (identical to the vintage Merkur 37), a Clix and Cooper, which are both clones of the Barbasol, and my Muhle R41 original and SS version.

First shave report in a couple of hours.

Top Bottom