What's new

Challenge PIF - Astra Superior Stainless Blades - Then And Now

You and I are just the same my friend! My paranoid tendencies have me thinking that @Grundi and @Space_Cadet get together like villains in a Bond movie, trying to find out if I am as incredibly handsome as I claim, with tiny cameras built into the blades they provide!!!

There just HAS to be a catch somewhere! No one just gives AWAY such nice stuff!?!

Two thoughts occur to me regarding your comment:

1. Maybe it's a tax write off? But for both Israel and the US? I don't know.
2. It's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get that info on you.

Of course the application of Ockham's Razor would suggest that they're simply nice guys.

Thank you, Everyone, for the excellent responses!!

The 1st batch of blades have been mailed
so watch your mailboxes for your blades!! Please let me know when you receive your blades!! Once they begin arriving, we will start our Challenge Phase!!

The 2nd batch is filling up fast!! I will be sending blades out to @cwright, @bright09, @lancre, @LMcC, @Smooth and Sharp, @AZBronco, @gvw755, @borwish, @BravoNavo, @ewk!! These will go out in the next couple of days.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Two thoughts occur to me regarding your comment:

1. Maybe it's a tax write off? But for both Israel and the US? I don't know.
2. It's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get that info on you.

Of course the application of Ockham's Razor would suggest that they're simply nice guys.
Don't be fooled by that "Grungy" character....

Got my blades today.!
Tools used: Lupo Razor, Arko, Astra old style blade.
Got a close & fairly smooth shave this A.M. with the old style blade. I was not sure what to expect with the Astra old style blade but it did an excellent job overall.
As usual no nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:
You have to do something really stupid to nick yourself with the Razorock Lupo Razor IMO. :w00t:

PXL_20210422_201342602.jpg

Found this in my mailbox this afternoon

With blades beginning to arrive in mailboxes around the world, the Challenge Phase has begun!!

I'm ready and excited to pit these blades against each other and see how each one performs!! I'm planning start with the vintage Astra Superior Stainless!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thursday SOTD. Two Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2’s. The copper head got the vintage blade. The stainless head got the new blade. I changed out the stainless razor’s handle to a brass Magnum so it would be as close to the same razor as possible for each blade. Started off with some TFS Intenso soap and my Paladin Lemon Drop Polo. I did a stroke or two with each razor, then switched to the other one. Repeated that for the whole first pass. This gave me a good feel for the blade performance without the strong-hand bias of using one razor on each side. I had quite a hefty amount of beard to shave off. Many days of not shaving. I definitely felt the blade a lot more on the vintage one. The new blade was dramatically smoother. I did not expect that. Actually had a little bit of a weeper on one of the vintage strokes. Again, super surprised by that. Pass two, I did one razor per side of my face, then switched sides for pass three. Wanted to measure shave results with each razor on each pass. I must say, the shave results were identical. The new blade continued to feel much smoother than the vintage one for the whole shave. But the end results after each pass were too close to call. I had an excellent near-BBS shave. Topped it off with B&M 42 splash and I was set for my day. I am a periodic user of the green Astra SP’s. I break out an Astra SS on the rare occasion. I consider the SP in my top 5. The bottom of my top 5, but solidly in there. If the new SS continues on this trajectory, I may have to rethink the rankings.

8C6B5EEB-0087-4B8F-B4CA-546690ED89F8.jpeg

B1DAEB27-9E67-4F55-90F7-32127F0DD6A1.jpeg

C1836781-3441-401A-B166-546C94D3E332.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thursday SOTD. Two Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2’s. The copper head got the vintage blade. The stainless head got the new blade. I changed out the stainless razor’s handle to a brass Magnum so it would be as close to the same razor as possible for each blade. Started off with some TFS Intenso soap and my Paladin Lemon Drop Polo. I did a stroke or two with each razor, then switched to the other one. Repeated that for the whole first pass. This gave me a good feel for the blade performance without the strong-hand bias of using one razor on each side. I had quite a hefty amount of beard to shave off. Many days of not shaving. I definitely felt the blade a lot more on the vintage one. The new blade was dramatically smoother. I did not expect that. Actually had a little bit of a weeper on one of the vintage strokes. Again, super surprised by that. Pass two, I did one razor per side of my face, then switched sides for pass three. Wanted to measure shave results with each razor on each pass. I must say, the shave results were identical. The new blade continued to feel much smoother than the vintage one for the whole shave. But the end results after each pass were too close to call. I had an excellent near-BBS shave. Topped it off with B&M 42 splash and I was set for my day. I am a periodic user of the green Astra SP’s. I break out an Astra SS on the rare occasion. I consider the SP in my top 5. The bottom of my top 5, but solidly in there. If the new SS continues on this trajectory, I may have to rethink the rankings.

View attachment 1255676

View attachment 1255675

View attachment 1255681
My blades came today. Thank you brother @Grundi !

I've liked the SP, but for some reason the SS just treats my incredibly handsome face a little bit kinder.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the vintage ones. Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will try it. I may do as you did, or shave one side of my, yes, incredibly handsome face with one blade, and one side with the other.

Top Bottom