What's new

CFM strikes again, or finally some respect for the GEM 1912?

I've never seen a set like that before, either, but it's pretty clearly not GEM's 100th anniversary, since they weren't around in 1825 in any form. The most likely reading of the center emblem would seem to be "Avery."

Nice 1912, but wow. It would be interesting to know what the emblem was for and who/what 100 year anniversary was being celebrated.

Attachments

• $index.jpg
    $index.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 307
  • $indexjjjj.jpg
    $indexjjjj.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 305
  • $indexoooo.jpg
    $indexoooo.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 303
  • $jjjjj.jpg
    $jjjjj.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
mmm..replated razor goodness... ;-)

Unless its a Damaskeene razor..maybe he will break even for what it cost to replate

Some pretty baseless conjecture going on here, as far as I can see. Sure the set's in good shape, but not suspiciously so. Given the shape of the outer carton and the fact that it's got the felt bag still with it, it's all but certain the original owner took the blades out (those reversible blades were stuck in there later as I don't believe they existed until the '40s) and stuck the rest of the set back in a drawer or closet for the rest of its life.

Yes, it's an unusually (and I'd agree, bizarrely) high price to pay for a 1912 set, but let's not go crazy with yet another CFM witch hunt here.

I'm still waiting for CFM to auction a Bottom Dial!!!!!!!!!! Has he ever listed a Toggle?? BTW, he got over $200 for a Fatboy with no case yesterday.....

My google-fu is strong today... The B.F. Avery & Sons Company was founded in 1825 by Benjamin Franklin Avery who made plows in Mecklenburg County, VA, and moved on to making tractors into the 20th century. Found this old logo of theirs:

Great research! I have never seen a GEM 1912 set go for anything like that kind of money either. It is a truly sweet set ; I was not implying the set was restored, only that that the price was in the stratosphere. It will not shave any better than the $12 1912s the B/S/T routinely has.

Some pretty baseless conjecture going on here, as far as I can see. Sure the set's in good shape, but not suspiciously so. Given the shape of the outer carton and the fact that it's got the felt bag still with it, it's all but certain the original owner took the blades out (those reversible blades were stuck in there later as I don't believe they existed until the '40s) and stuck the rest of the set back in a drawer or closet for the rest of its life.

Yes, it's an unusually (and I'd agree, bizarrely) high price to pay for a 1912 set, but let's not go crazy with yet another CFM witch hunt here.
It's not a witch hunt, just because this set seems legit dont mean his prior razors/items were. I seen a lot of other items that looked replated and alot of other people agreed. He is slick, he knows how to mix it up to stay in the game. It is no way possible to get so many almost new looking 100 year old razors everyday without being restored. I know he sells some good original razors and items, but he still has a restore man doing other items for big profits.

Great research! I have never seen a GEM 1912 set go for anything like that kind of money either. It is a truly sweet set ; I was not implying the set was restored, only that that the price was in the stratosphere. It will not shave any better than the $12 1912s the B/S/T routinely has.
It's ok if you did imply that, it's your opinion and many others agree anyway.

+1. Why is it that nearly every thread about eBay or an item on eBay has at least one mention of either non-disclosure of replating or shill bidding? These comments are very ungentlemanly because they are alluding to the fact that the seller is dishonest.

The fact that CFM's auctions command higher prices than usual can, somehow, only be attributed to dishonesty and that it's incredulous that it could be due to something else like his pictures, written description, return policy, or the fact that he has 100% positive feedback after after 2,500 ratings is ludicrous.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
yet another thread turned bad.

Attachments

• $1013970-comic_vine_original_23_super.jpg
    $1013970-comic_vine_original_23_super.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
+1. Why is it that nearly every thread about eBay or an item on eBay has at least one mention of either non-disclosure of replating or shill bidding? These comments are very ungentlemanly because they are alluding to the fact that the seller is dishonest.

The fact that CFM's auctions command higher prices than usual can, somehow, only be attributed to dishonesty and that it's incredulous that it could be due to something else like his pictures, written description, return policy, or the fact that he has 100% positive feedback after after 2,500 ratings.
I am just posting an opinion, we are not prosecuting or accusing. We are posting comments that may be taking in as good heads up information for any member to assimilate. You don't have to agree with it and I respect that, but if I see a pattern of unusual items being sold as NOS or almost new that are 100 years old on a everyday basis then something has to be fishy. He does sell alot of original items but he also sell replates, and he has a resto man that does a great job. I seen items that were replated and blemished on purpose to make it look aged and not too new. ( I have nothing against Cedarman, I bought a few things from him and also returned a few Big boys and other razors w full refund 100%)

Last edited:
It's ok if you did imply that, it's your opinion and many others agree anyway.

Actually, I do not have enough information to make a determination if the seller replates, restores, or just markets and presents well. So, I do not opine that they do anything untoward. I'm with MacDaddy- no witch hunts for me.

It was the price I was implying they made a strike on. North of $130 is off the charts for even a pristine 1912 set. It is not even the rare open comb version.

Top Bottom