What's new

Air Filter

SAM_1194.JPG

SAM_1198.JPG

Here it is. Homemade hood of cardboard box taped up to seal any leaks. Levoit Air Purifier for Home Allergies Pets Hair Smokers H13 True HEPA, Core 300 below and VIVOSUN 4INCH 190 CFM Inline Fan w/Speed Controller Carbon Filter 8Ft of Ducting above it though I did not use the ducting. Box is about 12" high 16' wide and 12' deep and is sitting on it's side to make it 16' tall. It sits on a desk which has my computer next to it. I used a bit of merv 13 material I bought on ebay, to filter the smoke before it hits the fan and filter. Not sure if it is really merv 13 or not but the other thing is to use the filter material included with the carbon filter which fits around it on the outside. The filter is designed to draw air in and I have it backwards having air pushed into it. The fan has a speed controller but with the material blocking the fan intake, I have it on full power mostly.

To make it work about 100% I have to have my face right next to the box or slightly in it blowing the smoke into the box. Not the most relaxed way to smoke but better than freezing outside at night. The Levoit gets any smoke that escapes the box and is good for 215 square feet. I am using the standard filter that came with it but they sell a toxin or smoke filter which is blue, and I have 4 of those for replacements. The Vivosun carbon filter is not designed to filter smoke without first having the large particles filtered by cloth, so that material you see over the intake is keeping the carbon from being clogged with large particles. The Levoit filter has a built in hepa or merv 13 filter that blocks larger particles before the carbon element gets any smoke in it.

I called Levoit and asked about using their filter alone to filter cigarette, cigar, pipe smoke, directly blowing into the filter while it sat in a box like the one I am using. They said it would not work, it was not designed to filter that level of smoke. So I have it outside the box which gets the main smoke. I wanted a air filter to deal with the smoke from the many fires here in California as well.

It seems to work almost perfect, meaning I can not smell any smoke after using it. The Levoit filter alone would take the smoke out of the air, but before that happened, the smoke would coat some surfaces of things and that would result in lingering odors. Cost with shipping was $100 for the Vivosun combo and $150 for the Levoit, with filters costing $25 each. I saw the white Levoit is selling for $135 shipped but I wanted the black one.

Top Bottom