What's new

Noob Shaver, Blackland Vector review

Back with another one.

Credentials:

So as you can see, my noob shaver credentials are for real; also that list is getting long. I'm gonna stop buying razors (ha).

I went from the Karve C plate to a Timeless .68 to a Timeless .95 to a Blackbird, used the Muhle r41 (more friendly version), tried out a Leaf razor, used the Rex Envoy for a couple months, have a Merkur Futur that my beautiful wife bought me for Christmas, have a Razorock SLOC that I haven't bothered to review because anyone with 6 bucks or whatever can grab one, snatched a Blackland Sabre with a Level 2 plate and I'm now onto the Vector.

If you've seen any of my SOTDs or seen anyone ask me a question about them, you know I'm a Blackland fanboy.

Shane is doing some weird really cool stuff, and I enjoy that. I'm not a vintage guy, for anything. I'm a tech monger.....I always have the newest phone, computers, guitar plugins etc and I like it like that. I know there are great vintage razors out there but they're not for me at this time. I grabbed the Blackbird and loved it and it's been my #1 for around 8 months, give or take. Nothing else has lasted that long, nor could it have.

I'd grabbed the Sabre and used it a few times and it's a fine razor, but I don't really feel I'm using it to its full potential because the Gem Personna blades I ordered from Connaught are stuck in COVID19 shipping limbo. I'll revisit that razor when they show up, but I feel the carbon steel blades I'm using in it detract from its efficiency somewhat, so we'll leave that one alone for now.

Onto the Vector. First 3 shaves:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First shave...was a first shave. I usually do 2 passes, first XTG and second ATG. This is the test for new razors. I'll do it, see what happens and judge it on my technique and how soon I need to shave again, then start judging the razor.

SHAVE:

Vector was a start on XTG and immediately saw the adjustment, and never lost the line. I said out loud "hey, that's not going to work" and moved it a tad, and there it was. 3 shaves later it's still there.

Interesting thing for me is that it's wide and flat...meaning I can go ATG on my neck with it, which I can't do with any other razor in my den, not even the Blackbird which I'm completely used to and know all the angles on. It's just too risky for that razor, so I make do with the XTG and some form of 'down and sort of across'. I gave it a shot on shave 3 just to see what would happen and it took it like a champ. Just straight across......albeit AFTER the XTG, which means something but hey I don't know what.

Blackland puts the Blackbird OC at a 7.5, the Sabre Level 2 at a 5.5, and the Vector at a 5 and I agree with this; this is a middle of the road shave as far as aggression goes. I didn't really ever feel like this razor was going to cut me, although if you're lacking on your technique I could see it happening; it IS a really wide sharp blade, after all.

WEIGHT:

77 grams puts it under both the Sabre and the Blackbird, respectively. It's a light razor, comparatively speaking. I own a lot that are heavier and use them a lot, so this is a nice change.

LOOKS:

There is nothing like this out there.....and this is one of those things when I talk about Shane doing cool stuff that no one else is doing. Show me another AC razor with this small of a head, or that looks this elegant. Look at it, it's ELEGANT. It's a really well designed machined thing that does exactly what it's supposed to do, while looking nothing else like anything else out there, and doing really cool stuff.

BUILD/MACHINING:

I opted for the machined version...I didn't really feel the need for the polished version; I don't need shiny things, I use my stuff and don't want to polish anything. It looks fine, feels great and works much the same as the polished version, I'd imagine.

In short/tl;dr

This is a really good razor. It's light, nimble, efficient, and fun to use. Really well built, no machining issues whatsoever. Shaves great, really worth the $, if you're jonesing for an AC razor, I'd recommend this.

LAST NOTE:

I'm actually thinking about switching to this razor.....it's quite amazing and I really dig it. It's a whole different vibe from the Blackbird but almost as efficient.....I kind of dig that it's less efficient, meaning I could shave every day and not worry about irritation or nicks/weepers. The Blackbird is just slightly TOO efficient for me and my beard, meaning if I wanted to use it every day I'd have to be really careful about those things. The Vector? NAHHHHHH

All in all for where I'm at on my shaving journey? The Vector is a 10/10....if you're close to where I am and thinking about an AC razor, I HIGHLY recommend the Vector.

The Vector has slayed my (DE) RAD, which, let's be honest, is actually the effective death of all my RAD as SE razors just aren't released in large numbers, and there's nothing currently out there making me even a bit twitchy. We'll see what happens when things get back to a semblance of normal and the Asylum/Rocnel AC safety razor collaboration is finished + Shane (hopefully) releases a modern true injector. Guessing it'll be 6-9 months earliest for the Asylum/Rocnel & likely 12+ months for a Blackland injector.

The Vector has slayed my (DE) RAD, which, let's be honest, is actually the effective death of all my RAD as SE razors just aren't released in large numbers, and there's nothing currently out there making me even a bit twitchy. We'll see what happens when things get back to a semblance of normal and the Asylum/Rocnel AC safety razor collaboration is finished + Shane (hopefully) releases a modern true injector. Guessing it'll be 6-9 months earliest for the Asylum/Rocnel & likely 12+ months for a Blackland injector.

Dude I have a Schick L type that’s awesome that I really enjoy using. If Blackland releases an injector razor that’s an instabuy for me @Blackland Razors hey Shane how about now?

Last edited:
Back with another one.

Credentials:

So as you can see, my noob shaver credentials are for real; also that list is getting long. I'm gonna stop buying razors (ha).

I went from the Karve C plate to a Timeless .68 to a Timeless .95 to a Blackbird, used the Muhle r41 (more friendly version), tried out a Leaf razor, used the Rex Envoy for a couple months, have a Merkur Futur that my beautiful wife bought me for Christmas, have a Razorock SLOC that I haven't bothered to review because anyone with 6 bucks or whatever can grab one, snatched a Blackland Sabre with a Level 2 plate and I'm now onto the Vector.

If you've seen any of my SOTDs or seen anyone ask me a question about them, you know I'm a Blackland fanboy.

Shane is doing some weird really cool stuff, and I enjoy that. I'm not a vintage guy, for anything. I'm a tech monger.....I always have the newest phone, computers, guitar plugins etc and I like it like that. I know there are great vintage razors out there but they're not for me at this time. I grabbed the Blackbird and loved it and it's been my #1 for around 8 months, give or take. Nothing else has lasted that long, nor could it have.

I'd grabbed the Sabre and used it a few times and it's a fine razor, but I don't really feel I'm using it to its full potential because the Gem Personna blades I ordered from Connaught are stuck in COVID19 shipping limbo. I'll revisit that razor when they show up, but I feel the carbon steel blades I'm using in it detract from its efficiency somewhat, so we'll leave that one alone for now.

Onto the Vector. First 3 shaves:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First shave...was a first shave. I usually do 2 passes, first XTG and second ATG. This is the test for new razors. I'll do it, see what happens and judge it on my technique and how soon I need to shave again, then start judging the razor.

SHAVE:

Vector was a start on XTG and immediately saw the adjustment, and never lost the line. I said out loud "hey, that's not going to work" and moved it a tad, and there it was. 3 shaves later it's still there.

Interesting thing for me is that it's wide and flat...meaning I can go ATG on my neck with it, which I can't do with any other razor in my den, not even the Blackbird which I'm completely used to and know all the angles on. It's just too risky for that razor, so I make do with the XTG and some form of 'down and sort of across'. I gave it a shot on shave 3 just to see what would happen and it took it like a champ. Just straight across......albeit AFTER the XTG, which means something but hey I don't know what.

Blackland puts the Blackbird OC at a 7.5, the Sabre Level 2 at a 5.5, and the Vector at a 5 and I agree with this; this is a middle of the road shave as far as aggression goes. I didn't really ever feel like this razor was going to cut me, although if you're lacking on your technique I could see it happening; it IS a really wide sharp blade, after all.

WEIGHT:

77 grams puts it under both the Sabre and the Blackbird, respectively. It's a light razor, comparatively speaking. I own a lot that are heavier and use them a lot, so this is a nice change.

LOOKS:

There is nothing like this out there.....and this is one of those things when I talk about Shane doing cool stuff that no one else is doing. Show me another AC razor with this small of a head, or that looks this elegant. Look at it, it's ELEGANT. It's a really well designed machined thing that does exactly what it's supposed to do, while looking nothing else like anything else out there, and doing really cool stuff.

BUILD/MACHINING:

I opted for the machined version...I didn't really feel the need for the polished version; I don't need shiny things, I use my stuff and don't want to polish anything. It looks fine, feels great and works much the same as the polished version, I'd imagine.

In short/tl;dr

This is a really good razor. It's light, nimble, efficient, and fun to use. Really well built, no machining issues whatsoever. Shaves great, really worth the $, if you're jonesing for an AC razor, I'd recommend this.

LAST NOTE:

I'm actually thinking about switching to this razor.....it's quite amazing and I really dig it. It's a whole different vibe from the Blackbird but almost as efficient.....I kind of dig that it's less efficient, meaning I could shave every day and not worry about irritation or nicks/weepers. The Blackbird is just slightly TOO efficient for me and my beard, meaning if I wanted to use it every day I'd have to be really careful about those things. The Vector? NAHHHHHH

All in all for where I'm at on my shaving journey? The Vector is a 10/10....if you're close to where I am and thinking about an AC razor, I HIGHLY recommend the Vector.

Smokin’ write up. Loved the read.

Enjoy & Happy Shaves..... :thumbup1:

Thanks man!

#5:

proxy.php

This thing just keeps getting better and better. #5 on the same Kai Titan blade. I'm digging this a lot.

I love my Vector!

But the steel handle was slippery ( and small diameter) to me and slipped out of my hand twice so I ordered the Titanium from Scratch and dent.

Faaar better!

I so wanted one of these until I saw the shaved threads. I only use ti handles so that's a no go for me. Shame.

Titanium is perfectly fine to use with the Vector. The narrow post has no ill effects on handles of any material. We’ve been doing this for almost three years and customers have put aluminum, brass, bronze, titanium, and stainless handles on their Sabres and Vectors since the start. Zero issues.

Just pulled the trigger! I read your review yesterday and just couldn't resist any more. Also, seeing @Blackland Razors active on multiple forums, answering questions, is very reassuring when making an expensive purchase.

Glad it helped man, think you’re going to love it, I know I do. I haven’t touched anything else since it showed up.

Not for nothing but I’m glad Shane is active on forums as well; he’s also super responsive to emails, just FYI. I’ve had a few questions and he’s always been right there.

Looking forward to seeing what you think!

Just pulled the trigger! I read your review yesterday and just couldn't resist any more. Also, seeing @Blackland Razors active on multiple forums, answering questions, is very reassuring when making an expensive purchase.
Reading the reviews and talking to folks yesterday, I did the same. Ordered it early yesterday afternoon.

Wonder how long it normally takes to ship though. Order still shows up as 'pending'.

Reading the reviews and talking to folks yesterday, I did the same. Ordered it early yesterday afternoon.

Wonder how long it normally takes to ship though. Order still shows up as 'pending'.

One thing with Blackland is they’ll get your product to you quick. Within 48 hours you’ll get your tracking & shipping info. This guy is solid. I’ve ordered 3 maybe 4 razors from him and I’ve never received anything past 7 days. Whut, Whuuuuut? Yeah, I’m shaking the Pom-Poms but, this brand nails it with customer service and complete satisfaction from start to finish......

Within 24 hours usually, often same-day. This week has been exceptionally busy so that’s drawing it out a little, but I think we’ve still been within a day or close to it on all orders. Not sure which order yours is, but it was likely just packed up and heading out now.

Thanks!

Within 24 hours usually, often same-day. This week has been exceptionally busy so that’s drawing it out a little, but I think we’ve still been within a day or close to it on all orders. Not sure which order yours is, but it was likely just packed up and heading out now.

Thanks!
Ha ha. Excellent.

I returned to work after my post and just checked my email. I did receive a shipping confirmation already.

Thanks a lot!

229CE84C-D82B-4D09-B9B0-3A88BB683AB4.jpeg

Uglied up my Vector; wanted to see how much easier going ATG on my neck would be using a much shorter handle. Was much easier. I think I’ll keep it ugly for awhile.

6 on the Kai Titan Mild, still awesome. Super clean DFS, nothing from the alum or AS. Man I really like this razor.

Top Bottom