What's new

Cella. Yes or No?

I just read an unofficial rumour, which came from 2 different persons, one of which saying that it came directly from Cella after asking, that Cella will launch a new, non tallow product next year. What this means for the old, tallow Cella, is unknown, but some speculate that the company is under pressure from vegetarians/animal rights supporters to abandon tallow and that this is the general tendency. Someone even quoted Omega, saying that in the near future, boar brushes will be history, because the bristle quality gets worse and worse, because of the intensive breeding methods. I don't know if this is true, but i am glad i have boar backups.

I can believe that Cella is receiving complaints from animal rights supporters. We shall see if a new product appears and whether this will be alternative or substitute to tallow Cella.

What this means for the old, tallow Cella, is unknown, but some speculate that the company is under pressure from vegetarians/animal rights supporters to abandon tallow and that this is the general tendency.

I'm sure it will be hailed as a great victory for guys that like to ruin everything!

I'm sure it will be hailed as a great victory for guys that like to ruin everything!

It already is. I read the news in a local shaving forum and it was first announced apparently by an animals rights supporter and vegetarian of the forum (i hadn't seen that news before, because i am not a member. I only went to search for something else and happened to see the news today repeated by a 2nd person and others confirmed that the vegetarian of the forum had announced it earlier. He is the same who says that he read that Omega declared that boar brushes are marching towards their extinction, in favour of synthetics). The vegetarian is already celebrating, pointing out that "the production of non-vital items, that require the exploitation and killing of animals, is destined to disappear. It is already happening with fur and many clothing accessories. The argument that is often told, that the animals would be killed anyway to be eaten, doesn't stand. The badger for example isn't food. Same applies to animal tests for cosmetic industry".

Frankly, Cella has a 100+ year old tradition behind it. And it has nothing to do with badgers. So unless we stop butchering meat, i don't see how making Cella is provoking exploitation and murder of animals. I hope that the new product will be alternative and not substitute.

What's next? Turkey bacon around the corner?

I don't know. I am too old to understand this. This global movement of "animal rights", i think is getting out of control, but they work as a united lobby, so they make their voice heard and pressure companies, so, no matter if something is rational or not, they go ahead for a step further. And i don't know where this will end. Ban leather shoes, ban leather belts? Ban eating meat? Have us eat only fish? I don't know, is there also a fish rights movement? I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

So unless we stop butchering meat, i don't see how making Cella is provoking exploitation and murder of animals. I hope that the new product will be alternative and not substitute.

I agree with both of these statements. It makes too much sense to recognize that the tallow can either be utilized or wasted! Either way, it will still be produced.

I also hope that the new product will be alternative and not substitute. I think this is the route DR Harris took in introducing their "naturals" shaving soap. I bet they figured that if people love it, they can eventually eliminate their tallow version. That didn't happen! I wish GFT and Pen's had done the same!

I agree with both of these statements. It makes too much sense to recognize that the tallow can either be utilized or wasted! Either way, it will still be produced.

I also hope that the new product will be alternative and not substitute. I think this is the route DR Harris took in introducing their "naturals" shaving soap. I bet they figured that if people love it, they can eventually eliminate their tallow version. That didn't happen! I wish GFT and Pen's had done the same!

They funniest part, is that in Italy, there is a large production of prosciutto, salami, sausages, etc, aside the normal meat. Supporting the thesis, that making a vegetarian Cella will save animals, is ridiculous. The fat alone that is cut every day from the outer part of prosciutto, in all the supermarkets of Italy in a month, would be enough to keep Cella making tallow soap for decades. So it makes more sense, to ban prosciutto (good luck at that, vegetarians!).

Frankly, Cella has a 100+ year old tradition behind it. And it has nothing to do with badgers. So unless we stop butchering meat, i don't see how making Cella is provoking exploitation and murder of animals. I hope that the new product will be alternative and not substitute.

I 100% agree! Cella was my first "real" shave soap and it has remained in my den for the last 7+. It is my all-time favorite soap and would be heartbroken if it were replaced. I truly hope it is an alternative and not a substitute. I mean, I know there are plenty of wonderful soaps out there, but this one held a special place in my heart.

I 100% agree! Cella was my first "real" shave soap and it has remained in my den for the last 7+. It is my all-time favorite soap and would be heartbroken if it were replaced. I truly hope it is an alternative and not a substitute. I mean, I know there are plenty of wonderful soaps out there, but this one held a special place in my heart.

Myself i am not even a huge Cella consumer, because i fear the rancidity for the fact that i have other products open in the rotation. I have in fact consumed only 1 tub of Cella since 2011 and as fast as i could. But, it is part of a very old tradition and i can't agree with excuses that don't have logic. If we were a muslim country and you told me to stop making boar brushes so that we can save pigs, ok, i could believe that, because pork is forbidden as food for muslims. So the pigs would be killed for the brush only. So if you don't make the brushes, you don't kill them. But, don't tell me that with all the pigs we eat here, we will save animal lives if we stop making Cella or boar brushes. It is completely out of any logic...

I did the same thing. Well at least it’s an affordable soap, a kilo of Cella cost less then a puck of some others.

I cut it bagged it and and put it in the deep freeze. Done. Great Cella shave today! Btw the brick is better than the tub, seems slicker

This is old packaging. Don't buy it. It means it's old stock. And with Cella, you don't want to have old stock, because it has many free fats that go bad with time.
Didn't realise that and bought the old stock so will have to get through the tub soon. First use today so say 4 months maybe.

I'm hoping I get a tub of it for Christmas, otherwise I'm going to order a tub of it because I'm really curious about it, and I'm cycling through my tub of proraso red right now.

It's a shame that lobbyist dictate what products are good for the masses, but that's another conversation for another time. What's ironic is that those same people get upset when other lobbyist's get involved and support their cause, IE the NRA.

I would be very sad if Omega stopped producing boar and badger brushes, I have no intention to use a synthetic, to me it's all about the tradition of badger and boar.

Didn't realise that and bought the old stock so will have to get through the tub soon. First use today so say 4 months maybe.

I can tell you for sure, that the new packaging has been in commerce here at least since June 2016. So your tub, in the best case, is 2 1/2 years old if not older. Still, on paper, it should still last 12 months after opening before any significant alteration happens. But, let's say that your tub is right on the edge of what a producer has to certify as shelf-life. Now, if your tub is 3+ years old, then your product may suffer alterations faster.

It's a shame that lobbyist dictate what products are good for the masses, but that's another conversation for another time. What's ironic is that those same people get upset when other lobbyist's get involved and support their cause, IE the NRA.

I would be very sad if Omega stopped producing boar and badger brushes, I have no intention to use a synthetic, to me it's all about the tradition of badger and boar.

Boar is the traditional italian shave brush. Which is one more reason why i stocked up on boar brushes. The animal activists are a very vocal minority, which is how they win. At least, i know i won't be left without my boars if they score yet another victory with the brush makers.

Top Bottom