What's new

Cella Crema Da Barba - reformulated?

I emailed Joe. He thinks that Cella's ingredients have not changed, but that the company is merely complying with new, more stringent European Union regulations for listing ingredients.

And btw, the expiration date listed for Cella (and for other European shaving soaps) is not "real", but rather is a response to an EU regulation that many analysts think is way too strict and, according to what I've heard, is going to be made more reasonable. For example, the EU requires that jars of honey--which really doesn't expire--carry expiration dates.

The EU some times has nothing better to do. So they come up with all sorts of crazy things. And any day now everything is going to have an expiration data, even salt or sugar. :lol: The Cella is the same as always, so don't mind the label and enjoy the great shaves.

Hey everybody,

I have just recieved an e-mail from Nicki Chini and as muskus said the EDTA is for binding magnesium and calcium in the water, so that the shaving soap will lather more easily. The almond oil is nothing new to the formula either. It is because of new EU-regulations that the ingredient list on Cella have been updated.

I have just received my first tub of Chella, and it's the same ingredient list as the OP.

WOW, what a soap! I have soft water, and got tonnes of lather very easily, and the smell is wonderful.
Great shave, great slickness from the Tallow.

it was my first tallow soap, i was eager to try one to see if there really was any difference. My conclusion: YES.

Looking forward to tomorrow's shave...

Hey everybody,

I have just recieved an e-mail from Nicki Chini and as muskus said the EDTA is for binding magnesium and calcium in the water, so that the shaving soap will lather more easily. The almond oil is nothing new to the formula either. It is because of new EU-regulations that the ingredient list on Cella have been updated.

A great thread, thanks for sharing this. Great to see you got a reply to.

I had a feeling that when the actual logo on the front of the jar changed from the original words to the picture that something else changed but I did not think anything of it. It still gets ruined over time. The croap starts forming pebbles and I end up having to throw over half of it away.

Hey everybody,

Hi all. I just wanted to confirm the change / no change of ingredients, as I find the wording of the quoted post a little ambiguous (no disrespect to MUF100) :

can someone confirm that the "additional" two ingredients, i.e Sweet Almond Oil and Tetrasodium EDTA, have been there either since the beginning, or at least since before the change in packaging / list ingredients ?

Thank you.

Sweet Almond Oil I imagine was under parfum but as a nut, probably required to be listed for allergic reaction reasons.

The term “parfum” means perfume, which can consist of many ingredients. These do not have to be listed individually, with the exception of certain ingredients which must be shown on the label;

Tetrasodium EDTA could be reporting requirement because of alarmists, or a requirement for a preservative. It probably helps lather in hard water as well.

Sweet Almond Oil I imagine was under parfum but as a nut, probably required to be listed for allergic reaction reasons.

The term “parfum” means perfume, which can consist of many ingredients. These do not have to be listed individually, with the exception of certain ingredients which must be shown on the label;

Tetrasodium EDTA could be reporting requirement because of alarmists, or a requirement for a preservative. It probably helps lather in hard water as well.

Hi Clay S. Thanks for that. Your comment about Sweet Almond Oil makes perfect sense. With the Tetrasodium EDTA, do you think this is a post 2013/2014 new ingredient, or was it in there earlier ? I don't think any of the "original " 8 ingredients would function as a preservative, but my chemistry is lousy.

Thanks

Hi Clay S. Thanks for that. Your comment about Sweet Almond Oil makes perfect sense. With the Tetrasodium EDTA, do you think this is a post 2013/2014 new ingredient, or was it in there earlier ? I don't think any of the "original " 8 ingredients would function as a preservative, but my chemistry is lousy.

Thanks
Someone familiar with Italian cosmetics, and whether terra . . . EDTA started showing up in them at some point would help us guess better. It could be in response to it going bad on people as well. Most non-artisan soaps have some type of preservative in them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom