What's new

Cats and TV

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes, Virginia...cats can see TV and computer screens.

She tried to pounce on a bird in the video but I didn't catch that...yet. Sorry for the bad quality, but it was just a quick hand-held one with my Nikon still camera. I'll put it on a tripod and try to get better in a few days.

Lol, that’s funny. It will be fun to see what other video you get.

My dogs bark when a dog on TV barks. But your cat is following the bird on the screen.

we have a "cat sitter" dvd which we used to put on when we had multiple cats in the house. It was always fun to watch the three of them go into hunt mode watching birds, mice and other small creatures.

My wife and I love hearing stories about my married daughter's 2 rescue cats, but they only come out of the woodwork for my daughter and her husband. If anyone else comes into the house, they become "invisible" cats. We fed and watered them one year for a week, while our daughter and husband were on vacation, and we never saw them. We had to hope they've weren't dead. I always thought I wanted a dog, but if my wife wasn't so allergic I'd get a cat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO is ordering Cocoa a 7 inch iPad so she can watch bird videos on her very own device. :blink:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That won’t work. It is like buying a bed for a cat- they won’t use the one they are supposed to. :)

I beg to differ, Owen. Grandma cat used to lay on the footstool pillow when I'd take her up to Mom's for company after Mom passed, so SWMBO got her a pillow of her own. She has been using it regularly for quite some time. :)

1570584532380.png

She also plays with her "rats" every day (you can see one poking it's head out from under the pillow where she "hid" it). We have to find some of them for her from wherever she has tossed them...under the fridge, under a chair, etc.

Correction on the 7 inch iPad...SWMBO ordered Cocoa a 9 1/2 inch one. Sigh.

I'm concerned about the data usage on the net for videos, but I saw where you could download a DVD to computer using VLC or Handbrake (I have VLC on the old computer and Handbrake on this laptop), then transfer it to iTunes (SWMBO said she has an account), then transfer it to the iPad.

That's up to SWMBO to do...Cocoa is her cat and she started this.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My wife and I love hearing stories about my married daughter's 2 rescue cats, but they only come out of the woodwork for my daughter and her husband. If anyone else comes into the house, they become "invisible" cats. We fed and watered them one year for a week, while our daughter and husband were on vacation, and we never saw them. We had to hope they've weren't dead. I always thought I wanted a dog, but if my wife wasn't so allergic I'd get a cat.

That's the way ours are, even the outside "Barn cats." If they hear anyone even approaching the house they will hide. It takes the two inside cats a day or two to even come out if relatives are here for a couple of days. The ranch manager next to us would come over to feed them when we were out of town and said they never seen them.

Not to mention thunder. We're gone...under the bed, in the closet, or under the house.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I beg to differ, Owen. Grandma cat used to lay on the footstool pillow when I'd take her up to Mom's for company after Mom passed, so SWMBO got her a pillow of her own. She has been using it regularly for quite some time. :)

View attachment 1024266

She also plays with her "rats" every day (you can see one poking it's head out from under the pillow where she "hid" it). We have to find some of them for her from wherever she has tossed them...under the fridge, under a chair, etc.

Correction on the 7 inch iPad...SWMBO ordered Cocoa a 9 1/2 inch one. Sigh.

I'm concerned about the data usage on the net for videos, but I saw where you could download a DVD to computer using VLC or Handbrake (I have VLC on the old computer and Handbrake on this laptop), then transfer it to iTunes (SWMBO said she has an account), then transfer it to the iPad.

That's up to SWMBO to do...Cocoa is her cat and she started this.
Mine just turned 6 months old- he is still in little butthead mode. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mine just turned 6 months old- he is still in little butthead mode. :)

Pics. or you don't have one. We bottle raised two or three at different times when their momma disappeared. KMR is great stuff.

How's your curtains doing for that one at that age?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pics. or you don't have one. We bottle raised two or three at different times when their momma disappeared. KMR is great stuff.

How's your curtains doing for that one at that age?
here he is sleeping on the granddaughter’s troll with her favorite bunny and blanket. He doesn’t mess with curtains much.

BE9ED537-079A-494F-9E35-B119DF715C97.jpeg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Our new kitten is a big fan of anything that moves on the screen. He also likes to play the Cat Fishing game on our iPads.
View attachment 1025217

Oh yeah. Camps out by the TV where you have to say "Down in front!"

Cocoa's very own iPad arrived today. She watched her bird youtube videos on it until the battery ran down. She likes the bird videos the best...guess it's because she tries to catch them outside. I need to see if I can find a grasshopper and cricket video. She doesn't seem to like the fish or other animated things...she wants live bird footage.

Once SHMBO finds out how to control the volume on the iPad I'll get some more video. I think I'll order Cocoa a bird DVD to watch on the regular TV.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cats see at a faster frame rate than we do, so tv flickers for them ... We see color different too. It's an interesting subject.

AA

You may have explained why our cat prefers to listen. Used to think he was zoning out as cats tend to do, then noticed his ear and expressions changed with the dialog. For violent scenes, he wants out until it's over. We raised him from a week old after he was abandoned, and he's live primarily with humans ever since, so he might have a better grasp of English than normal for a cat.*

OTOH, whenever the cartoon Godzilla was first run on Saturday mornings, my parents had a cat who'd want to come in and watch it. She'd sit in front of the TV and occasionally reach up to touch it. When it was over, she wanted out. Have no idea how all that started, but witnessed it myself. We figured she liked the sound and movement.

Then again, my parents had a dog who liked Bonanza. When I replaced their TV, the dog started quarreling as I set it up. Not growling, but making noises. My father smiled and said I was messing up Bonanza. Sure enough, when I got the new TV on and turned to the channel, the dog settled down to watch.

*The more they're around humans, the easier they seem to grasp human language. Have seen strays get some understanding, but not like cats who've been around humans since kittens. A few years back, some cats that belonged to Hispanic neighbors would wander over, and we discovered they understood Spanish words.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sissy (her nickname) watching bird videos on her brand new iPad, while sitting in her very own spot on the home theater couch.

SWMBO spoils her...ya think?

Attachments

• DSC_0006 (2).JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 4

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
*The more they're around humans, the easier they seem to grasp human language. Have seen strays get some understanding, but not like cats who've been around humans since kittens. A few years back, some cats that belonged to Hispanic neighbors would wander over, and we discovered they understood Spanish words.

I believe. When I tell Grandma cat "Blue Chair" she jumps up on the arm of my blue recliner and waits for me to sit down.

I wonder if Sissy, in the picture above, is learning to read from the captions on the bird videos.

Cats see at a faster frame rate than we do, so tv flickers for them ... We see color different too. It's an interesting subject.

AA

Oh yeah. It is interesting. Dad was colorblind, but the army took him in WWII anyway. He said that they told him that because he was colorblind he would be able to see in the dark better.

Fact to file and forget:

• There is no treatment for color vision deficiency, nor is it usually the cause of any significant disability. Actually, most color deficient persons compensate well for their defect. At one time the U.S. Army found that colorblind persons can spot 'camouflage' colors where those with normal color vision are fooled by them. In fact, a reduction in color signals makes the differences in texture and brightness more apparent (see reverse test)!

References:

Last edited:
Top Bottom