What's new

Catching up with some tips and questions

Phew, I'm back - at least for now. I've been away for a few months due to moving, job search, starting a business, buying a very old house that needs lots of work, beginning to set up my new wood shop, etc. But, i wanted to drop back in and make a few notes that I found interesting. Warning, since leaving here I'm back to shaving being mostly utilitarian and my ADs have greatly subsided. I haven't spent a dime on shaving stuff and won't until I have a steady income unless I run out of blades.

The short version
Try Palmolive Euro Soap Sticks. The DE89 is great. Hurray for Bic Chrome Platinums. Curious to try my purchased-a-few-months-ago SE bought from a guy who thought I might be crazy for wanting it for use. Put some Bic Metals in your arsenal. 4711+Lucido = perfect.

The long version

First, Euro Palmolive sticks.
If you haven't tried them, do so. Unless you like Arko. I tried and tried to like Arko. The lather is superb; a half-step above Palmolive, I'd say. But I can't do the scent. I can rinse for minutes and I still smell the stuff. So, If you haven't tried Euro Palmolive sticks, do it. Soap/cream and brush make more of a difference for me than anything else. i found I can even use some of the bad disposables (some, not most or many) with a good cream/soap, but can't use a good razor with bad goo from a can. I don't even use any of my other soaps or creams at this point.

Second, blades.
If you followed any of my [admittedly overboard] shave journal, I tried a lot of blades. For a very long while I settled for Feathers because I could get around two shaves from them. Astra SPs and a few others (yellows, greens, etc) could give me a 3-4, but even from day one they tugged pretty bad. I'm going to circle back to my collection slowly, but lately I've been using Bic Chrome Platinums with rather great success. I often get 5-7 shaves with one. They are never as sharp as a Feather, but not that far off and hold their edge. Still want to try Blacks sometime and will try to order some when I next order the Bics.

Third, the mighty razor. [queue Tim Allen 'Home Improvement' grunt]
I started with a EJ DE89 because people said it was a good mild starter. Later I purchased a birth quarter SS (1980) and was let down. No matter what I did, I couldn't get close with the SS. But, I could shave as fast as I wanted with it and couldn't cut myself. It was like a two-blade jobby for me. I gave it away to a friend who's now converted to DE shaving. I've since picked up an SE and have to order some blades for it when I next order. Suggestions, please. Anyway, I find the DE89 to be FAR more aggressive than the SS and am well-rewarded when I pay attention to my shaves. If I don't, I get bit a bit.

It's a Gem Micromatic for those shouting at their computer, "WHAT SE DID YOU BUY?!" i found it a few months ago for $3.50 at an antique store in a college town nearby. The proprietor, probably in his 70s or so saw me pick it up and said, "That's a razor." I smiled and said, "Yeah, a single-edge Gem Micromatic." And turned the knob to lift the top. Surprised I knew how it worked, he said something like, "Can you believe people used to shave with those? Don't see many around and every now-and-then some kid asks me what it is." Everything moved smoothly, teeth were straight, most of the plating was there. I said, "I'd like to buy this. I'd like to try a single-edge razor." I think he thought I was joking until I told him about using a DE, brush, etc. He didn't know whether to think he should try it again all these years later or call the looney bin. Either way, I got a pretty decent Gem for $3.50.

Third and one-half, the less mighty disposable.
I was living with others for a bit as we transitioned to the new home 700 miles away. I moved my family to MI and was in NJ for a month living with others. When I moved them out, I accidentally left my DE89 there (now here). It's not a good feeling to open your shave kit and find no razor. It's downright bad. I needed to shave, so I picked up some two-blade things at CVS/Rite-Aid/Somewhere. They were crap. Really, really bad. Don't remember which they were. So, I bought some Bic Metals. Great little razors that saved me like the SS but a little closer. For those who don't know, they're a single-blade disposable. They don't last long, but don't cost all that much either. I've since found some of the name brand 2-blade ones work very well also. None shave as close as my DE89 though. Oh, the Metals make fantastic little razors for anyone who can't fit a DE under their nose or wherever; they're tiny little heads.

Forth, AS.
I tried a bunch of stuff and like LEA balsam that one of the vendors sent me with an order. Was just a trial tube and he never responded as to where I can get more. I've not seen it, but have seen what looks like it sold as BEA balsam. I'll order some to try if no one says it's not the same next time i do order. But, thanks to another kind PIF, I've decided mixing 4711 and Lucido is pretty much the perfect ASL for me. 4711 is good enough and has what I think is a great, light, not-too-long-lasting scent. Lucido is one of the most effective ASLs I can imagine. I love that it adds some umph including cooling to my 4711. Perfect.

The rest is the same. I still the Frank Shaving finest that was PIFed to me. Thanks again, Snargle. Someday I want to get a travel brush, but for now I put this one in an empty toilet paper tube with some tape over the handle end. Lets the top stay open while holding it in place. If I don't put it away too wet it works better than expected for a single-use travel tube. Not hard to come by either.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dan:
proxy.php
...enjoy your kit and shaves!!!

attachment.php
“Happiness is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Great to hear from you again. Good luck in getting everything up and running. I moved to the Chicago earlier this year from London and it was fun/awful/exciting/stressful but most definitely worth it as i now live in the same condo/city/country/continent as SWMBO.

Really must try an SE of that design but am on a shave gear hiatus.

The reaction you got at the antique store is hilarious. I showed my 1920s old type OC to my friend and he refused to believe that it could still be used for shaving. I would expect an older gentleman to at least recognize that it's still a viable shaving instrument.

+1 on the EJ DE89.

I love mine.

I recently bought a Weber DLC with classic handle.

Thus far with the Weber (about a dozen shaves keeping all other variables constant) I have been greatly underwhelmed by it.

+1 also on the euro palmolive stick vs the arko.

+1 on the EJ DE89.

I love mine.

I recently bought a Weber DLC with classic handle.

Thus far with the Weber (about a dozen shaves keeping all other variables constant) I have been greatly underwhelmed by it.

+1 also on the euro palmolive stick vs the arko.

My EJ DE89 is rapidly becoming my favourite razor. It's just an absolute pleasure to use such a finely crafted instrument. Such a simple machine, yet elegantly designed and amazingly functional. You can tell that a lot of engineering went into this thing. It is as close to perfection as is humanly possible.

Not to mention the fact that I've received at least a satisfactory shave with every blade that I've thrown at it. I can tell when it's a good blade, though, because it absolutely shines, then it leaves me spending all day wondering if my shave could have possibly been as good as I remembered it being.

I just used my 1980 birth quarter SS for the first couple times to celebrate the b-day, perhaps we tried the same instrument... I found mine to be very mild as well, not as close on the first shave but got closer the 2nd time around. Also recently picked up my first Gem MM, tried it once so would be a little interested to see what you think as well since it seems like we're following a bit of the same shave path (DE89 has also been my favorite of the half-dozen razors I've tried)

My EJ DE89 is rapidly becoming my favourite razor. It's just an absolute pleasure to use such a finely crafted instrument. Such a simple machine, yet elegantly designed and amazingly functional. You can tell that a lot of engineering went into this thing. It is as close to perfection as is humanly possible.

Agree 1005.

But here's something which may be of interest.

I have two EJ DE89's. I bought the first, a Barley handle, when I first got back into DE shaving 12 months ago.

At the time I noticed a flaw in the chroming around the handle's collar. Not much I can do about it it I thought.

Then as I kept reading comments on this forum about the flawless chrome work on the EJ's I reconsidered.

By then, however, the online vendor I purchased from had shut up shop.

So I took a punt and emailed the manufacturer with the photo below attached

.$EJ BARLEY.jpg
As you can see, the flaw is only cosmetic. I would have been satisfied with a polite reply from EJ's customer relations people saying thanks, we'll pass it on to QC etc.

Well, I immediately received an email asking for my shipping address so they could send me a replacement handle.

They went on to say they hoped this experience with the flawed Barley handle did not negatively affect my opinion of their razors.

That was a couple of days ago so if and when the replacement handle arrives I'll have another powerful reason to say how much I love my EJ razors.

Welcome back, Dan!

I'm glad the Frank Shaving brush is still treating you well. I echo your thoughts about the Euro Palmolive sticks. I've found them to be a great soap at a great price. I usually grate them and pack the shreds into a bowl. It performs just as well as many high-priced (over-priced?) shave soaps.

Good luck with the Gem MMOC. It's an excellent razor. A little on the aggressive side, so I don't recommend it for newbies, but I think you're far enough along now to tackle it. The shaving angle/technique is quite different from a DE razor, so take it slow at first. You'll be rewarded with fine shaves once you master it.

+1 on the Bic CPs. When in Bali over Xmas/NY I picked a couple of packs up REAL cheap at a stall to try as I'd brought the kit on vacation with me. Was stunned at the smoothness and also how sharp they were. Good blades and I've still got a couple left...

Jesseiv, The Dude abides. I'll update once I use the MM. Probably won't be for a long while as I'm not planning to order blades soon. My birth quarter just arrived with the day a ways off still, but I don't miss the SS. The friend I gave it to has very thin, light hair and loves it. For my coarse, dense growth I wasn't pleased. He found the DE89 on a really good sale the other day and asked if it was the one I have. I said it was and highly recommend he buy it ($20!). He decided not to as he can't imagine a better shave than the SS and only rarely has to shave. I'm a bit jealous.

Double Edge, fantastic story. That's the right way to do business. If only they offered more products you could buy, I bet you would. Maybe they should produce an 8-blade joby. :) almost said that with a straight face.

Snargle, I was doing that as well and adding some essential oils to make some scent varieties. I face lather exclusively of late, so when I did that I lakes them into a travel tube and was happy. Now I just use it as-is and am fine with that.

Mad man, I was pleasantly surprised by those blades. Today I had an interview/orientation and my Bic Cp was pulling. I decided to switch it up and opened my last pack of feathers. I nearly forgot what a nearly no pulling shave was, bu also know I'll only get two good shaves from it. But, was one of my best shaves yet, so it was great. I look forward to cycling back through other preferred blades as well, but the CPs, Astra SPs, and feathers remain favorites so far.

Forgive typos, on my phone.

Welcome back, Dan. Which brush have you been thinking about buying regarding traveling?
I did a bunch of searching months ago when I was in transition and living various places. I found one that had a cover that went onto the end of the brush to exten the handle And then flipped around to protect the brush while traveling. I just tried to find it but came up blank. I haven't tried a boar and think the one I found was a boar. Sorry to be so vague, but I knew I wouldn't be buying one for a while and left it at that.
When I do purchase, I'll read reviews and ask advice.

Dan, just about any brush can be used as a travel brush. For a brush holder, I use a large-size prescription pill bottle that has a few vent holes drilled into the sides. It works perfectly, protects the brush, and best of all, it's free!

Dan, just about any brush can be used as a travel brush. For a brush holder, I use a large-size prescription pill bottle that has a few vent holes drilled into the sides. It works perfectly, protects the brush, and best of all, it's free!
I made an oversized tube for a soap stick into one that one of my first brush fit in. My others don't fit and it has other problems, but same idea. Kind of funny story though. When in NJ I tried to get a bottle from a couple pharmacies. I asked if I could buy a correct size bottle to store a shave brush for travel. They looked at me like I had two heads and pointed me to the travel items sections. I explained more and. Both said they were uncomfortable selling or giving an empty pill bottle. Seriously. I looked at them like they has two heads and gave up.

Now I'm back in MI and even know the owner of the local pharmacy. Hadn't even thought about it until reading your post.

I do agree that's my best approach and will follow up. I'd still like to try a boa sometime and will pick up a cheap Semogue or similar when I'm able as I'm curious.

Thabks for the reminder of what should have been obvious.

Jesseiv, The Dude abides. I'll update once I use the MM. Probably won't be for a long while as I'm not planning to order blades soon. My birth quarter just arrived with the day a ways off still, but I don't miss the SS.
Dan let me know if you want some blades for the MM, I'd be happy to send you a few to try out before you commit to buy a bunch. I don't use my MM very often and the GEM PTFE blades I picked up supposedly last at least 10 shaves each, so I imagine the 10 that I bought will last me for some time with the frequency I use the razor... just shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can get them out to you.

Top Bottom